X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homeric and Orphic Hymns and other liturgy, devotionals, and prayers

orphic hymn to gaia

To Gaia,
    (fumigation from every kind of Seed, except beans and aromatics)
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Homeric and Orphic Hymns and other liturgy, devotionals, and prayers

I have a record album (yeah, I'm old) of Ancient Greek music... what little has survived well enough to be recorded - most is just fragments - but there is an Orphic Hymn on there, somewhere...
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

A Psalm for Gaia
        Dolores Stewart Riccio
        sigpic

Comment

Homeric Hymn to Ares

Ares, exceeding in strength, chariot-rider, golden-helmed, doughty in heart, shield-bearer, Savior of cities, harnessed in bronze, strong of arm, unwearying, mighty with the spear, O defender of Olympus, father of warlike Victory, ally of Themis, stern governor of the rebellious, leader of righteous men, sceptered King of manliness, who whirl your fiery sphere among the planets in their sevenfold courses through the aether wherein your blazing steeds ever bear you above the third firmament of heaven; hear me, helper of men, giver of dauntless youth! Shed down a kindly ray from above upon my life, and strength of war, that I may be able to drive away bitter cowardice from my head and crush down the deceitful impulses of my soul. Restrain also the keen fury of my heart which provokes me to tread the ways of blood-curdling strife. Rather, O blessed one, give you me boldness to abide within the harmless laws of peace, avoiding strife and hatred and the violent fiends of death.
          sigpic

Comment

From the Orphic Hymn (Hymn #2) to Nyx via Theoi.com

(The Fumigation with Torches)
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
              I have a record album (yeah, I'm old) of Ancient Greek music... what little has survived well enough to be recorded - most is just fragments - but there is an Orphic Hymn on there, somewhere...

This is totally cool. Somewhere I have a link for what is called the Epitaph of Skelios (sp?--I'll have to look it up), which is awesome. I think its interesting that they can figure out the differences in notation. Words are so much easier, I would think, to translate...
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X