Human microchipping.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Human microchipping.

What's your opinion on microchipping and the emergence biotechnology that challenges human limitations?

For me, I can see there are so many benefits, but also the cost could be so high. I feel as though I could lose ownership of my life somehow. To never have the freedom to hide or have some things kept private. I feel like I would lose the chance for my life to be my own, that parts of me would always belong to someone else. Maybe the concept of my life being my own is an illusion.

I'd love to hear what Satanists in particular think about this. Explain to me your belief about becoming the whole of yourself and how this kind of technology might impact on that.

If there are people who can frame their answers in the context of their religion, I'm really interested to read about that, too.

Re: Human microchipping.

I'm always interested in new ways to interface with things, however I'd just prefer to wear a wristband or glove that serves the same function.

Seriously, I want a Pip-Boy.
    Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

I'll wait 10 or 20 years so that all of the hacks and abuses that aren't being countered yet have been pulled on someone else. After the tech is mature, I'll decide if I'm interested.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I think it depends. Are you putting a chip in to interface with a bionic eye because I'm blind or a leg because I lost mine, etc? Because I give that a big fat hell yeah.

But just to get into my email? No thanks.

Also, I've generally found it interesting that we love our pets so much we chip them (in case they get lost or stolen), but not our kids...
        Last edited by thalassa; 04 Mar 2015, 17:02.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
          I'll wait 10 or 20 years so that all of the hacks and abuses that aren't being countered yet have been pulled on someone else. After the tech is mature, I'll decide if I'm interested.
          I have to agree with MO here... Until it becomes a bit more normalized, and we know what can go wrong, and we know it won't, I'm not really into it... Especially not for work, that seems excessive.
          http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
          ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Unless it's for healing, as Thalassa said, then a mighty big NO.

I much prefer being disconnected to being connected.

You're never alone if you have gidget in your head. Frequently, it's good to be alone, and being alone doesn't make me feel anywhere near as lonely as being in company does.
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I know people who say this is the mark of the beast, from Revelations. Personally, I wouldn't want it.

As for chipping pets vs. kids - I wouldn't trust the people who have access to the chip info. They have these Child ID cards, with a fingerprint, SS #, etc., that parents keep in case the child goes missing. The manufacture of these cards is completely unsecured. Who do you think runs the actual printing machines, and then punches the individual cards off the sheets they're printed on? I worked at a place that did this, and those workers were undocumented, untraceable, cash-paid people picked up at the 7-11 in the morning. And, duplicate cards, etc., were used as samples - mailed out to complete unknown people.
              sigpic
              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I just really don't like the idea of not being able to fall off the map when I want to...

Comment

It's not for me. As others have already said, I might consider it for health reasons but for things like unlocking my car? Um, no.

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                  Frequently, it's good to be alone, and being alone doesn't make me feel anywhere near as lonely as being in company does.
                  A little off topic but this made me smile...I was becoming convinced that I was the only one who felt that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Kindred View Post
                    It's not for me. As others have already said, I might consider it for health reasons but for things like unlocking my car? Um, no.

A little off topic but this made me smile...I was becoming convinced that I was the only one who felt that way.
                    Me, three!
                    sigpic
                    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

We live in such an incredible time, but I'm never sure whether I want to embrace technology or go live in a tree.

Comment

Originally posted by callmeclemens View Post
                        We live in such an incredible time, but I'm never sure whether I want to embrace technology or go live in a tree.
                        I vote tree, with refrigerator and internet access.

Comment

Imagine tracking down your spouse being naughty?
                          Or your 12 year old hacker neighbor who just triggered a seizure in you.
                          Anyone see Repo Men? No bueno.
                          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I like the idea of being able to track my kid. Especially since I want to free range to an extent. But otherwise I'm iffy.
                            We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                            It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                            Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                            -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
                              I like the idea of being able to track my kid. Especially since I want to free range to an extent. But otherwise I'm iffy.
                              Not trying to make trouble or anything, but curious -

For people who would microchip kids, at what age to you have it removed?

For good reason, as I got older, I didn't want mom & dad to know where I was.
                              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                              X