Disease caused by conflict?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disease caused by conflict?

This is the kind of thing my aunt believes. http://thespiritscience.net/2015/01/...-by-conflicts/

So, are kids thinking themselves into measles, and those vaccines are unnecessary? Do viruses exist? Is this a crock of horse-poop? What do you think?
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Re: Disease caused by conflict?

Usually the cold is what causes me to have conflict. I'm pretty sure my Diabetes is due to my broken pancreas and not the death of my father or other such nonsense.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Funny how everyone I know who claims that we "manifest our own reality", etc., is reasonably wealthy, successful, & healthy.
      sigpic

Comment

With colds.it has a lot to do with the state of your immune system..tired or lack of enough sleep. Over work and too much stress on your physical being. Also the symptoms are really from your body's reaction,trying to expel the bacteria not unlike an allergic reaction.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
          Funny how everyone I know who claims that we "manifest our own reality", etc., is reasonably wealthy, successful, & healthy.

I was thinking this too.

Anyway, the adrenal gland is a thing and if you have chronic and severe anxiety issues, it can have a backlash effect on your immune system because it saps your body's energy and therefore its ability to combat against infections. But the virus/bacteria/whatever has to be there for the illness to take hold (usually - barring the psychological phenomenon of people believing themselves to be ill and therefore convince their body to manifest some of the symptoms, which I don't believe works for all illnesses).

Point: I'm convinced that emotional and psychological factors (stress included) can have a negative effect on one's ability to fight off illnesses, and things like chronic stress or anger issues can lead to long-term health issues (high blood pressure), but I don't believe it's what entirely causes an illness. Too many factors that interplay together to say it's ever a single thing.

Comment

I believe our minds play a big part of our health. Its like if you wake up and your in a crappy mood, if you allow yourself to wallow in it your entire rest of your day will be crappy. Of course your immune system and how healthy you are play the biggest role in this but I think your mind can aid you in the healing process or helping the illness set in.
            "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

For me, it's the other way around. Even little sicknesses trigger massive stress in me. My immune system tends to be overactive, and goes FULL NUCLEAR on all threats, even ones that just need a little extra snot production. This makes my subconscious go OH GOD WE'RE DYING every time I get a sinus infection.

I'm not touching the measles and autism with a ten foot pole, because I'm autistic, and I'd lose my cool. (Proudly pro-vax, here. Baby, I was BORN this way!)

Comment

I don't think this article expresses any new ideas really, but I think it's pretty spot on. In my own experience I don't handle stress that well, especially when I can't come up with a reasonable solution. I can't see this relating to notable viruses like measels or the chicken pox, but certainly I can for just generally being ill.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                  This is the kind of thing my aunt believes. http://thespiritscience.net/2015/01/...-by-conflicts/

So, are kids thinking themselves into measles, and those vaccines are unnecessary? Do viruses exist? Is this a crock of horse-poop? What do you think?
                  Horse poop...but buyable horse poop, because it *sounds* plausible (and remarkable similar to actual scientific ideas about stress and illness), when people don't know any better.

Sure, stress can manifest in physical symptoms (pretty sure most of us have had a stomach ache from nerves, or a headache from being sad or angry), and chronic stress has chronic physical consequences (high blood pressure, etc)...but stress doesn't make you get "a cold".

The confluence of symptoms we call a "cold" are caused by a number of viruses (a collection of over 400). The likeliness we are to "catch" a virus that causes a cold and overwhelms our immune response to the point of illness depends on the state of our immune system. The responsiveness and relative strength of the response of our immune system is dependent on a number of factors, one of which is psychological stress.

Williams & Leaper, 1998). Stress-induced changes in the immune system that could accelerate wound repair and help prevent infections from taking hold would therefore be adaptive and selected along with other physiological changes that increased evolutionary fitness.

Modern humans rarely encounter many of the stimuli that commonly evoked fight-or-flight responses for their ancestors, such as predation or inclement weather without protection. However, human physiological response continues to reflect the demands of earlier environments. Threats that do not require a physical response (e.g., academic exams) may therefore have physical consequences, including changes in the immune system. Indeed, over the past 30 years, more than 300 studies have been done on stress and immunity in humans, and together they have shown that psychological challenges are capable of modifying various features of the immune response.

meta-study sauce
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

It's amazing, what people will buy into. And scary.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X