Help me plan my garden!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me plan my garden!

So following on a wonderful suggestion by a fellow PF'er I'm getting my hands dirty and growing an herbal/flower garden this year.

Now I don't have a ton of space on the ground, which is okay I may wind up dedicating that space to vegetables. As of now I plan to grow NJ staples i.e tomato's, peppers, green beans, and pumpkins.

I plan to build some sturdy wood tables and grow my herbs on big containers on top, this is where I need suggestions. I plan on growing basic kitchen herbs (basil, rosemary, thyme) as well as herbs I use like Mugwort, thistle, and sage. If anybody has any suggestions or tips that'd be great. I'd love to be able to grow and then send out herbs to people who will put it to good use.

Now if the snow would just melt already.

Re: Help me plan my garden!

Bump?Bump!

Comment

I wish I knew more about actually growing and not-killing plants, but I'm not quite there yet. Hoping some other forum members are more experienced regarding gardening than I am.

Comment

I keep lemon balm in a small pot, they're easy to keep and I quite like it. If you give it space it tends to grow quite big... mint is another good, easy one to keep. I don't have a garden though, so I keep them in my kitchen. I've had both in our garden growing up, they're very low maintenannce.
        You remind me of the babe
        What babe?
        The babe with the power
        What power?
        The Power of voodoo
        Who do?
        You do!
        Do what?
        Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

I myself do not know a lot about growing herbs. My Ex however grows a lot of her cooking herbs. She is also Vegen and makes all her veg dishes from scratch...Me,I am a child of the microwave age..If I can't nuke it,I run into a bit of trouble because I am really not a cook..
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Lemon balm sounds nice. I've got a book coming in on how to make oils, and incense so things that will work for that will interest me.

I'm also interested in what herbs people in here use in their craft should they have one.

Comment

Lemon balm is a good one to have. Did you want herb which are easy to keep outside? Then I would recommend Rosemary (keep it in a pot and if too cold you can just bring it inside), Thyme, Parsley (can overwinter) and Mint (but a good idea to keep it in a container as it tends in my garden to fill up all the space were you grow it). There is many others also, these were just a few that popped into my mind

Comment

While not a herb, I have to mention lavender. I love it! Lavender oil is great... also makes good tea.
                You remind me of the babe
                What babe?
                The babe with the power
                What power?
                The Power of voodoo
                Who do?
                You do!
                Do what?
                Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

I kill all my potted plants too... I'm sorry I'm not helpful, I'll be trying not to kill plants again this year, I get a balcony in the new apt. I hope you have better luck than me though.
                  http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                  ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
                    I kill all my potted plants too... I'm sorry I'm not helpful, I'll be trying not to kill plants again this year, I get a balcony in the new apt. I hope you have better luck than me though.
                    Haha, at least it's not just me. My sister (a horticulture scientist) gave me a purple viney plant that I literally can not kill no matter how often I forget to water it. Thing is still kicking 3 years later, I just forget what it's called.

I was going to start an herb garden indoors last year when I was trying to move (which didn't end well) and was going to try rosemary, basil, lemon grass (one of my favorite oils for infusers), and a few other herbs I use frequently in my cooking. I still have the lemongrass seeds sitting on my dresser even. Maybe in the spring.

Comment

I am an experienced gardener, if anyone needs herb or other gardening advice, I can probably help. I do food plants, herbs, ornamentals and house plants.

Comment

I wanna share something that I used to do with my sunflower garden. The best fertilizer and insecticide (well, as far as for slimy insects like worms and snails) was ground up egg shells. What I did was crush the shells into a fine powder and mix it in the soil before planting, then have a thin layer of even more crushed shells on the tip to prevent snails from eating at my plants
                        My Divination Shop

Comment

Working...
                        X