RELIGION IN AMERICA (the new numbers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RELIGION IN AMERICA (the new numbers)

The religious demographics of the US are changing...

Last year, for the first time ever, Protestants lost their majority status in an annual survey conducted by the Public Religion Research Institute. Only 47 percent of America identifies as Protestant, with rates as high as 81 percent in Mississippi and as low as 10 percent in Utah.

sauce: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ca-in-22-maps/
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: RELIGION IN AMERICA (the new numbers)

IMHO - the rise of secular Buddhism in the U.S. is inevitable, because secular Buddhism actually makes sense, does not require blind faith, can be tested, and it really works.

As people recognize that religion becomes less and less meaningful as science becomes more and more meaningful, their spiritual needs will need to be met in an increasingly effective way. Buddhism does this this.

Neitzsche called Buddhism "mental hygiene." He was absolutely correct. Hygiene is important, in the mind, as it is in bodily cleanliness.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Why is there never a 'pagan' demographic? Are we just lumped in with 'unaffiliated'? Or is it because paganism isn't real religion?
      I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
      Clan of my Clan
      Kin of my Kin
      Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
      And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
        Why is there never a 'pagan' demographic? Are we just lumped in with 'unaffiliated'? Or is it because paganism isn't real religion?
        Granting that I don't know when the numbers for

Explore the geographic distribution and demographics of America's major religious groups.

were gathered. Hit the arrow next to other faiths and then the one next to New Age. Add Wicca and Pagan. That's why Paganism doesn't show up in a lot of reports.
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I see that my home state of NC is mostly Protestant, and has "above average" attendance. That's not surprising to me. We're not as, um, evangelical as say Alabama and Mississippi, but we're pretty up there. Interestingly, the area where I was born has a deep Quaker heritage, most of it actually quite liberal...though nowadays my hometown's meetings are no different from the Baptists.

Comment

not at all surprised to see that my home state of Kentucky seems to have a lot of white evangelical protestants. they're everywhere here.

Comment

I'm not surprised that Michigan has such a high Muslim population. We do have one of the biggest Middle Eastern population outside of the Middle East.
              Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Working...
              X