Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Burial methods

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
    Not sure about the athame bit, but you can DIY India Ink from charcoal ash, same thing might work with people ash (not sure though, because the composition of ash varies quite a bit). This might be interesting--they put a sterilized bit of the ash into the tattoo ink to do a memorial tattoo. They can also turn cremains into gemstones*.

*I would consider this. I think it would be kind of a neat way to honor one's family and have an heirloom that literally represented one's family that could be passed down from generation to generation.
    Now that's pretty cool actually. I knew you could make ink from charcoal, but never really thought about ashes from human, or animal remains. I could just imagine empowering the spirit of your designated animal into a tattoo of sorts.
    "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
    - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
      Wait I'm intrigued. If I read you right, you can embide ashes into an athame, or into ink? Please clarify, and share your methods
      It's my understanding the ashes can be added to ink or the knife/sword making process. They can be added to glass as well. People get ashes added to their tattoo ink. I would have to have that worked out with someone who works with those things.

Comment

Preferably I'd enjoy a tomb, nothing to the level of extravagance where I'm buried with all my belongings but just some simple and symbolic things. A sword, shield, spear and perhaps some little trinkets as well as a small sign written in about ten different languages (to maximize the possibility that even thousands of years in the future it'll be understood) asking nicely to not disturb my resting. It doesn't need to be a big plot but just to be buried with warrior's weapons as well as other items of meaning to me would be what I'd request.

Comment

Removing from consideration any legal requirements, it would be excellent for people to choose the element they wish: burial for earth, cremation for fire, a dunk in the drink for water, and up on a platform for air. There is a beauty to it.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
            They can also turn cremains into gemstones*.

*I would consider this. I think it would be kind of a neat way to honor one's family and have an heirloom that literally represented one's family that could be passed down from generation to generation.
            Would that make you/it the family jewels?

- - - Updated - - -

So no holds barred I'd be decked out in woolen tunic with the pants, basically full Viking gear. I'd have a sword and shield and a wooden boat. Push it out to the middle of a lake with me inside and have an archer set it ablaze. It'd be awesome

Comment

Originally posted by Ullr's Chaote View Post
              Would that make you/it the family jewels?
              I completely admit that the humor of that particular phrase is part of the attraction. :devilish: (we need a better eeeeevil smiley)
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

I looked up a place that does it because it really intrigues me, the whole cremains into gems thing. The site I saw also says they can do it with locks of hair, and that piqued my interest. Quite a few years ago, I had hair that went a few inches past my shoulders, and I had decided to get it all cut off but for some reason I kept it, and still have the braid of it. The idea of infusing the ash from my own hair into gems or glass, then to have those gems set into handmade runes sent immediately came to mind as a way to truly bind with them. BUT, at least this site, is amazingly expensive. like $3000 for .10 of a carat.

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
                  I looked up a place that does it because it really intrigues me, the whole cremains into gems thing. The site I saw also says they can do it with locks of hair, and that piqued my interest. Quite a few years ago, I had hair that went a few inches past my shoulders, and I had decided to get it all cut off but for some reason I kept it, and still have the braid of it. The idea of infusing the ash from my own hair into gems or glass, then to have those gems set into handmade runes sent immediately came to mind as a way to truly bind with them. BUT, at least this site, is amazingly expensive. like $3000 for .10 of a carat.
                  ...the equpment alone is probably a fortune.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

I am really opposed to embalming. Formaldehyde is a suspected carcinogen and no one should have to exposed to it. Natural burial is the right thing to do for me. An environmentally friendly or shroud would work for me. Vaults, liners, embalming, and mausoleums that inhibit decomposition are unnecessary wasting of energy.

Comment

Working...
                    X