Women's charges dropped because of her Religion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Women's charges dropped because of her Religion

Whether you’ve been turned off by religion in the past or have a question about one of the world’s religions, check out what Patheos has to offer.

In my opinion, this is double standards. If it were the other way around, and someone from the Satanic church decided to vandalize a nativity scene in front of a Christian church, they would be charged no questions asked. Especially the comments made afterward, and the fact it was caught on camera.. Such double standards. What are your thoughts?
    "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
    - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Re: Women's charges dropped because of her Religion

Yes, double standards. (About the comments though; I try to never, ever read the comments. Usually I feel dumber just for reading them...)

Comment

Perhaps I'm not seeing this but all I see so far is people looking for a reason to be offended. She didn't destroy anything, she took a piece of it and it was returned in the same shape and status it was in when taken. Hence the ruling that you couldn't prove anything had been vandalized, stolen or broken by her actions regardless of it being on film.

Seldom something that would get anyone before a court regardless of what the item was. At best usually a magistrate type setting or misdemeanor.

So show me where it was dropped because of her religion? Her lawyer argued such but nothing indicates it was dropped because of said argument. Lack of evidence to show proof of destroying is what got it dropped.
      I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

If it was a public display she did not own she had no right to remove it or change it, whatever the reason.
        śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
        śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

That I think this has more to do with the prosecutor being cheap and having other cases on the docket than religion. It was a misdemeanor offense against someone who failed epically at vandalism of an item that from the description probably costs less than 200. This means that of the DA wins (and given that actually damaging the property is part of the statute, that isn't certain), he's managed to get a conviction on what Florida calls a misdemeanor of the second degree. If the judge is in a really, really vindictive mood then the max penalties he can assign are 60 days in prison and a $500 fine.

The guy probably took a look at it and decided it was too little pay-off for putting himself through a trial. The defense attorney can spin it however he wants but the quotes from the prosecutor lend themselves more toward, "this is way too much effort for something that probably won't be punished particularly harshly by the judge if I win."
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
            .. The guy probably took a look at it and decided it was too little pay-off for putting himself through a trial. The defense attorney can spin it however he wants but the quotes from the prosecutor lend themselves more toward, "this is way too much effort for something that probably won't be punished particularly harshly by the judge if I win."
            That's how it reads to me, to little return for what would have to go into taking it to court. Yep let's spend thousand's of dollars to take an old lady to court and get maybe a couple of hundred. Bet that would help get him / her re-elected to the office and really gain a lot of public support behind it.

Comment

It's the fact that if it was someone from a satanist background, doing the same thing, they would be charged.
              "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
              And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
              They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
              The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
              - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
                It's the fact that if it was someone from a satanist background, doing the same thing, they would be charged.
                To much presumption there on your part I think. Seen similar things in other area's and the results are the same, not cost effective to prosecute the person and it didn't matter the religion / spirituality of the offender.

Comment

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
                  Maybe, maybe not. TBH, its easy to say that; hard to prove it though. Too many factors involved.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

It's easy actually if you think about it, Thal.

The Satanist would have not failed

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Originally posted by SeanRave View Post
                      It's easy actually if you think about it, Thal.

The Satanist would have not failed
                      Which is actually one of the more pressing factors. Successfully damaging the property in question would have

1. Made the case more compelling since actual harm has been done
                      2. Clearly met the legal requirement for criminal mischief

It'd still be a misdemeanor case and a pretty low end one at that but the prosecutor would have more motivation to say, "Alright, you want a trial, you've got one."
                      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                        Which is actually one of the more pressing factors. Successfully damaging the property in question would have

1. Made the case more compelling since actual harm has been done
                        2. Clearly met the legal requirement for criminal mischief

It'd still be a misdemeanor case and a pretty low end one at that but the prosecutor would have more motivation to say, "Alright, you want a trial, you've got one."
                        See? I am full of wisdom.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Since when is a little old lady 54???? Mind you, she looks as if she's had a hard llife....
                          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

This is something that just gets me so mad.
                            A Happy Little Wiccan:^^:

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Because who needs a life when you have a chatroom.

Comment

Working...
                            X