Capitalist witches? Oh my...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capitalist witches? Oh my...

Sell your juju on Etsy, if you don't have a problem with making money...

Witches Selling Spells Online Spark Ethical Debate
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Capitalist witches? Oh my...

I personally don't like buying spells online, because who knows what the hell they're actually doing, if anything? Big difference between your local witch and DarcReyvenGoddess and and her Magicke Shoppe Online.
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
      I personally don't like buying spells online, because who knows what the hell they're actually doing, if anything? Big difference between your local witch and DarcReyvenGoddess and and her Magicke Shoppe Online.
      But what if you were buying it from Dea Tenebrus-Corvus's Tabernam Magicae? Gotta admit, to sounds cooler then.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

... and I bet you get certificate when it's done so you know it's legit.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I had an etsy account, but I sold jewelry such as wire wraps, and bone carvings and what not but I would never make anything like that for etsy. I can make my own, sure, but also, in the majority of my own experiences, it won't work if it's coming from someone else's hands. I also find that whoevers doing this, is insulting the practice they are committed to, if it is even a practice at that point. For all you know, they could be bottling cat piss.
          "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
          And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
          They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
          The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
          - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

Whatever they're charging, I'll do it for half.
            I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
            Tribe of my Tribe
            Clan of my Clan
            Kin of my Kin
            Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
            And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
              I also find that whoevers doing this, is insulting the practice they are committed to, if it is even a practice at that point. For all you know, they could be bottling cat piss.
              I disagree with this. Witches "selling" their skillset (whether for money or barter) is historically and culturally appropriate in a number of traditions.

There are a fe other reasons why I think this isn't true...but they are complicated and require a computer and not my phone for typing....
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

It may be historically and culturally appropriate in a number of traditions, but I believe it can (in theory) violate a number of advertising and commerce regulations, which are there for a good reason.

There are some good ways around that, like making charms or herbal tea mixes or writing poetic spells and adding a fine print that they're for entertainment purposes only (which is basically what tarot card makers do), though. I don't really have an issue with that. It can be a good way to reconcile those traditions with modern advertising regulations.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                  It may be historically and culturally appropriate in a number of traditions, but I believe it can (in theory) violate a number of advertising and commerce regulations, which are there for a good reason.

There are some good ways around that, like making charms or herbal tea mixes or writing poetic spells and adding a fine print that they're for entertainment purposes only (which is basically what tarot card makers do), though. I don't really have an issue with that. It can be a good way to reconcile those traditions with modern advertising regulations.

I don't have a problem with a company or community regulating who sells what where. But that isn't the reg/law everywere.

I also don't disagree that there are charlatans and people just trying to make a buck out there either. But that happens in any field, and to some extent...buyer beware. At some point, the consumer needs to be a responsible party in a transaction too. I was writing more on money for classes and such, but this is part of my longer opinion on the subject (considering its a 3 yo opinion, I'd probably change a little here and there, but it mostly stands).

Purely on the topic of spells and rituals for another person, though (this is more a thought in response to the comment by Norse_Angel that it doesn't work when someone does it for you)...I think that it depends on your perspective of what magic is. If you trust that magic is a legitimate force in the universe available to anyone with the skill and experience to use it, then it won't matter who does the magic--you or someone else. You either truly, deep down believe in it (and therefore how well it works is a matter of ability of the person using it), or you don't. But, if magic is inner work and psychology and the subconscious, then it really only matter who does the magic if you have some inner block about it (the placebo effect is a real thing)...in the end its mostly about what you do with your daily actions as a result of that bit of magic. And, if you think its actual bunk, you'd never pay for it in the first place, so its a moot point.
                  sigpic

Comment

This reminds me of trying to get holy water from the Vatican. I counld't dip a small glass in to the bowl but buy it at a gift store across the street.

Herbals infusions and stones are one thing but I feel like prayers or spells can't be one size fits all. You may have to alter to fit your life.

Comment

Originally posted by Wenny View Post
                      This reminds me of trying to get holy water from the Vatican. I counld't dip a small glass in to the bowl but buy it at a gift store across the street.
                      I'm hoping (not betting, merely hoping) that this is so the Vatican doesn't need to keep runners on hand to constantly restock those bowls if a crowd comes through instead of it just being a convenient sales gimmick.
                      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I've bought several things on Etsy that were basically oils, wands, chalices etc that were hand made by the practitioner, there more expensive than buying them from xyz magick shop online or retail, and too me they are 'more special' because they are handmade with care and attention than mass produced at some place for general retail.

But yes you have to watch out for charlatans and people selling something not advertised. However my personal experience on Etsy is very positive although I've only bought tangible things.

But I agree on 'buying spells' I don't know why a magickal practitioner wouldn't just do their own spells but to the layman I would be very suspicious of it unless they had a full refund option (which I'm sure most don't) for many reasons namely the fact that even if the seller was 100% legitimate there is no possible way to 'guarantee' a result of said spell. It's exactly like selling a business information product (no matter how good or legit it really is) you cannot 'guarantee' that you will make a dime from it, it's just not possible to make a promise like that in a monetary purchase.

That is why they have to put a disclaimer on the intangibility of their products, you can't guarantee that your client will lose weight with your spell (or item) in three weeks if she decides to go home and gorge on doughnuts for x amount of time and expects your spell (or item) to help her lose weight.

Even if lets say 10% of sellers are decent legitimate practitioners. It's not possible to guarantee results.

That aside I've bought several magickal items and readings on the web and I've had (mostly ;P) positive experiences. So go figure.

Comment

I read somewhere that shaman or something somewhere were only paid if the client got better. Seems like a fair deal.

Magic Max could always curse 'em if they don't pay up.

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                            I'm hoping (not betting, merely hoping) that this is so the Vatican doesn't need to keep runners on hand to constantly restock those bowls if a crowd comes through instead of it just being a convenient sales gimmick.
                            Also, there are people that drink it, wash with it, etc. Not very hygenic when people are dipping goodness knows what from where into it to collect it themselves. Bad enough everyone is sticking their fingers in it in the first place.
                            sigpic

Comment

Not unlike coke from a few years back,having been found to be selling "Spring" water that came straight from the garden hose,it might not be that far a leap that they have a "Bulk" holy water source round the back...I know,be nice...but it is a thought..
                              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
                              X