Adult Acne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adult Acne

Having had little joy with the medical profession, I thought I'd try this community for help. My partner, JP, has developed a skin condition that the doctors are treating as acne. I had terrible acne as a teenager that wouldn't respond to medication, and the spots would become inflamed at times, but it was nothing like I'm seeing in JP.

These 'spots' don't burst if you squeeze them (I know he shouldn't be doing that anyway), it's as though the puss is too deep in his skin, or there is a series of pores blocked at once. The result is a painful red swelling that distorts the shape of his face. He has been to the doctors twice: the first time he was given a basic 6 week course of antibiotics. The spots seemed to calm down initially, but soon flared up again, as angry as ever.

Regular anti-spot face washes and so on appear to make the condition worse, and he's convinced that even washes for sensitive skin aggravate his skin, so is now washing with just water and a microfiber cloth. He's tried bio oil as we read that with adult acne, dryness rather than oiliness, tends to be an issue and he does have dry flaky skin. He also has a lot of scars from the condition now, and we hoped the bio oil might help to fade those. He has since stopped using this, as his recent flare up is the worse it's been yet.

So he went back to the doctor and was given a different course of tablets (I'm not sure if these are antibiotics too, but they're called tetralysal (lymecycline), and he also has a topical cream (defferin), although he was warned it could dry his skin out (as if he needs more of THAT), so he's only applying the cream directly to the swollen areas. This was 3 weeks ago now, and this is the first month where the condition didn't even lessen for a week or two.

I even went out and bought him a brand new pillow, and we put on a fresh pillow case every 2 nights (flipping it between), so he's always lying on a clean surface at night. He's also stopped drinking alcohol and is working out and drinking plenty of water. Oh and he takes a daily mutlivitamin, which he started taking when his skin very first started breaking down, he takes cocodamol (for the pain) and has started taking cod liver oil and a herbal remedy for acne that we got in Holland and Barrett.

He's in so much pain today and he's ashamed to go outside because of how it looks. He left work early today and went to the doctors to make an appointment but they told him it will be the end of next week before they can see him. He needs help NOW.

I don't think they're treating him correctly. I just hope it doesn't take the 6 years it took to cure my own acne (I think it cleared on its own, but in the end, lavender oil worked on me. I've tried this for JP and it did nothing, tea tree doesn't help either).

There is just one other thing that may be important, but that he won't tell his doctor; his skin gets considerably worse when I am about to come on my period. My periods used to be few and far between, so we never noticed (he's had mild acne since before he met me, with just occasional spots). I started self-treating through my diet for low thyroid activity because although it was affecting my health, my levels weren't deemed low enough to medicate by the stingy NHS who just wanted to keep monitoring me (I hate giving blood, and my symptoms were getting unbearable, so screw that shit). Anyway, this resulted in my periods becoming regular for the first time ever, as well as relieving 90% of the symptoms I'd been told indicated a thyroid problem. It was then that we started to notice that JP's skin got much worse when I was about to come on my period. We've observed this for about 6 months now.

Does anyone have any ideas what we can try next? Is there anything he should be asking his GP to investigate? I've told him to ask to be referred to a dermatologist, but whether or not they'd do this is another matter.

He's so depressed over this, and he keeps getting angry and yelling (not at me, just in general), and I'm a bit scared of him when he gets like that. I feel so helpless because I can't do anything to make it better.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Re: Adult Acne

Has he tried Rhodiola? One of my daughters used to swear by it. Interesting article here: http://supernaturalacnetreatment.com...sea-cure-acne/

As for why JP is affected by your periods - some men are. mr P used to get morning sickness whenever I was pregnant and even went into labour on a few memorable occasions!
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Thanks T! I'll give that a go next. I'm in one of my buying moods anyway, so it's an excuse to order something if nothing else.

We made a new discovery tonight. I made JP his tea and also gave him a small punnet of grapes to snack on while he's at his desk. When I spoke to him before (about 2 hours after his tea), the swelling had gone down considerably. I'd asked him if he'd like a glass of red wine, which I started drinking again recently for the health benefits (and have stopped drinking beer). I suddenly recalled that I read somewhere that red wine had antiinflammatory properties so he quickly looked it up. We found a site that listed 10 antiinflamatory foods.. red wine was there, as was olive oil (that I switched too lately for fear we had too much saturated fat in our diet), broccoli (which he had with his tea), oily fish (the broccoli was to accompany salmon) and grapes! So we're wondering if his skin is at least reacting to antiinflammatory foods, so maybe would react to drugs too. He's agreed to eat mainly things from the list for the next 7 days to see if there is a noticeable difference.

It's funny how just putting out a request for help, seemed to set some things in motion already. I guess it's not only forum members reading my posts (looks cautiously over her shoulder....)
      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Jem, does he shave?

ETA: Have you changed laundry soaps, shampoo/conditioners, etc any time recently for either of you?
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
          Jem, does he shave?

ETA: Have you changed laundry soaps, shampoo/conditioners, etc any time recently for either of you?
          He dry shaves with an electric razor, and we're always changing shampoo and laundry soups. I tend to just pick up what's on offer...

Comment

I am thinking this may be an internal immune system thing. I suffer from Psoriasis,and it might have something to do with something like that. With psoriasis it is excess skin being formed,this may be excess oil or fatty tissue being produced.
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
              I am thinking this may be an internal immune system thing.
              I would wonder about an immune system thing too, since its not something he has a history of.

But, shaving less might help. Also, making sure that all your washing products are noncomedogenic and hypoallergenic.
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

The reaction to your period "Might" produce an increase of hormone in sympathy that could cause this..It is interesting how the human body and mind can react to things..
                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                  The reaction to your period "Might" produce an increase of hormone in sympathy that could cause this..It is interesting how the human body and mind can react to things..
                  So, the *very few* real world studies that have been done in conjunction with male hormonal response during female partner ovulation show no response (the difference between laboratory "ideal world" studies with increased amounts of female pheromones which do get such a response). While I'm sure its a possibility (psychosomatic or stress-related?), I'm thinking you need to rule out coincidental and "just so story"--the way to be sure would be to keep an actual journal (good idea anyway to track meds that work, how long they work for, dietary changes, etc).
                  sigpic

Comment

I have nothing of value to say that hasn't been said, but I find it very interesting how people can have physical reactions based on someone else's condition and I was googling around and found this - Autoimmune Progesterone Dermatitis. http://www.dermnetnz.org/reactions/p...ermatitis.html The article says it happens to women, but perhaps there's a similar thing for men (?)
                    sigpic
                    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

The journal idea is good. I'm not sure I could get him to keep one, but I might start for him. He'd at least answer my questions about what he's eaten and so on.

As for hormones, guess it is possible my change in behaviour could affect him. Maybe I clean more, or less, or maybe he gets stressed because I'm moody.

Something I didn't mention sooner is that he might not have oodles of male hormone. He can't grow a beard for example, and has little body hair. He struggles to build muscle too, although I think he doesn't increase his calories enough when he tries.

Comment

Here is something I was recommended by 2 doctors: take a warm green tea bag and press it on the acne zone twice a day for some minutes. It should ease the acnes.
                        "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
                          Here is something I was recommended by 2 doctors: take a warm green tea bag and press it on the acne zone twice a day for some minutes. It should ease the acnes.
                          Yeah? We're both into green tea in a big way too, so I'll suggest this to him. It can't make them any worse, so it's worth a try.

Comment

I never had acne problems when I was a teenager because I have endocrine problems (hormone issues). It might be that he needs to see someone about hormones. His body might be out of balance. Usually his regular doctor can recommend someone. I would have him go to the doctor and get blood tests done to see if anything is out of whack. I have to take hormones nowadays and I do have some problems, not much, and even now my body doesn't have much hormone production like it should.
                            Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Did you consider to take him to a nutritionist? From what I know, adult acne can appear if some conditions are met, like having a stressful life, not eating right and healthy, not exercising and overall having an unbalanced lifestyle. So in order to get better you have to treat these conditions seriously. Being stressed about his acne will result in more acne. If you tried everything, cream, pills, oils and nothing worked you may want to try curing acne from inside for I believe acne can be cured naturally. Try following a healthier diet, with more fruits and vegetables, join a gym, exercise with him to relieve stress. If you want more info on this you can check here mbreviews.com/get-rid-of-acne-naturally-2/ for a more extensive guide for curing acne in a natural way.

Comment

Working...
                              X