Things about spell casting that annoys me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things about spell casting that annoys me

Hey guys, this is just completely my opinion and philosophy, but I wanted to post about it so here it is.

I am little above slightly annoyed with the whole "magick" and "spell casting" thing. It seems that people want spells and magick to solve their problems for them. Again, this is just what I've observed and it's not like this is a big issue or anything on here, or even in other areas of life. It's just one of those little things in the Pagan community in my opinion.

People seem to jump to magick and spells without trying to solve the problem like a normal human being. I just feel like you need to elimate all other possible solutions. I don't mean just discounting them. I feel like people need to actually try the solutions to see if they work.

i think it should be stressed that magick isn't a loophole, or a shortcut, or the easy way. Forget Karma, I don't think Karma even has to do anything because people are only hurting themselves.

again, just my opinion.
    A Happy Little Wiccan:^^:

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Because who needs a life when you have a chatroom.

Re: Things about spell casting that annoys me

Being someone who deals heavily with spell craft, I can agree that magick is not always the answer. However, it is often those still youthful in their practice that have not yet learned that there is a fine line of balance needed in order to use spell castsing at appropriate times.

Also, being someone who deals with clients-- even other practitioners, I can say that most folk want a quick fix to their problems. It's natural to want results fast, and it's only human nature to find a 'magical solution.' I've always remind anyone who is searching for a spell to try all mundane means of solving or dealing with their difficult situations. They can only learn this with time.
    "By yarrow and rue, and my redcap too."

Comment

I don't think it should be a last resort, but it shouldn't be a first resort either. Its a tool, and it should be used with all the other tools there are to get the job (whatever it is) done.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

My two cents: There is no spell in the world to make some one a great ballet dancer unless they strap on the shoes and bleed a little. Matter matters. You can't make pasta without some kind of flour. etc etc

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
          I don't think it should be a last resort, but it shouldn't be a first resort either. Its a tool, and it should be used with all the other tools there are to get the job (whatever it is) done.
          I agree with this sentiment. I think magick should be used in conjunction with hard work.
          "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
            This is my thought too. People often start yellin' 'if you want to be good at something, you need to practice.. a lot...' adding, 'no amount of magic can help you without practice'.

True

But

By the same token, unless you're practicing your spell casting all the time, then how exactly do you expect to be able to do any thing at all 'as a last resort'? My personal opinion is that magic that is only used as a last resort is going to be pretty lousy magic most of the time.

A realistic understanding of what magic is and what it can and can't achieve is more important. All magic requires some practical effort, but also, as I've stated often on this forum, I don't see the line between asking someone nicely to help me with something, and lighting a candle when that feels like an appropriate action to take. Anything that helps me to achieve a desired outcome, change in conformity with will, is 'magic' in my book. After all, there's a reason why they say 'please' is the magic word..
            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I feel that if I do ever cast a spell, or do a ritual for something, it is always after heavy meditation on the problem itself, and what can be done to mend, the problem. For example, in finding a better career opportunity, I meditated on what I wanted out of a career, and what I needed to do to obtain that career. Then, I would do a success ritual, with a large intention on being successful in finding that said opportunity. After the ritual was complete, I spent the next week, doing everything in my power to find a job that met my qualifications, and do everything necessary to make it mine. Abracadabra, I got the job I wanted. It wasn't me just sitting there, waiting for a recruiting team to come knocking at my door, I went out and did everything I could do make a new for myself within those companies, and hopefully get hired. It was really just getting into the mindset to do it that the ritual helped with. But I can say the gods had something to do with it as well. If that makes sense.
              "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
              And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
              They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
              The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
              - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

My personal belief is that a spell is simply a reinforcement of our clear intentions, utilizing nature, stones, herbs, etc. If you lack clear intention or have no follow through, you might as well not bother casting. The Universe only gives us back energetically what we put in to it!

Comment

Working...
                X