Ignorance using the faces of our Gods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ignorance using the faces of our Gods

I guess I've been pretty lucky. There's only one other heathen in town, and no one has heard of Odinism or Asatru. But I have to admit that everytime I see a website for an event or a hearth, my first thought is "please let this be a group of good people and not skinheads". But I already knew what I was getting into from the moment I discovered paganism. I think the neo-nazis are to our gods as the satanists/charmed fans are to Wicca, and so on and so forth...
    (end of senseless rambling)

Comment

Well, satanists are a highly misunderstood people. They aren't bigots, and they sure as Hel aren't racists. I have two friends who practice a type of satanism, and they're both really cool down to earth people.
      "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
      And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
      They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
      The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
      - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

I think is absurdly ironic that are some groups like this here in Brazil when most of us are mixed, even if you look white you'e not white unless you're foreigner. And racists heathens are very common around here. I just laugh at them while they ignore and destroy their own roots because of the color of their skin.

Comment

Precisely the reason I ended up here. I am having a hard time finding a forums free of the "folkish" mindset.

Comment

A major problem is that Hitler , Himmler and the SS were somewhat involved in Germanic Nordic Paganism, Hitler became interested in the operas of Wagner that depicted germanic heroes and Gods but distanced himself from neo-paganism he dismissed it as being foolish , instead he sought to create a new religion out of Christianity with an Aryan Jesus, he also wavered in and out of atheism. Hitlers beliefs varied and changed often. Himmler on the other hand was very dedicated to resurrecting Germanic paganism and performing rituals with the SS etc and using symbols that people who are unfamiliar often accuse neo-pagans of being Nazis. I personally think the modern Odinist is really quite stupid it s just another version of those Christian identity white supremacists that believe white people are a lost tribe of israel etc . crazy nonsense. Mostly the drive for white supremacists to enter into paganism comes from the belief that Christianity is a Jewish made religion and therefore not applicable to the white race. So basically yeah I don't think you should consider Odinists pagan anyways since they venerate Odin almost monotheistically. being true to the Pagan name implies multiple deities. Again like all religions there are the people that make it extreme and bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Sith View Post
              Mostly the drive for white supremacists to enter into paganism comes from the belief that Christianity is a Jewish made religion and therefore not applicable to the white race.
              I'm not really sure you could say that it was a belief, as that gives the impression that it is only what someone else feels is true, when in fact it IS the truth. Jesus was Jewish and raised as such, and it was the Jews who considered him to be the Messiah and began to follow him that spit it apart from Judaism. The thought that Jesus was Caucasian is a rather silly concept, considering the part of the world from which he hailed.

Originally posted by Sith View Post
              So basically yeah I don't think you should consider Odinists pagan anyways since they venerate Odin almost monotheistically. being true to the Pagan name implies multiple deities. Again like all religions there are the people that make it extreme and bad.
              Interestingly enough, Odinism doesn't focus solely on Odin as folks would think, but also on Freya, Thor, Frey, and all those guys and gals. It just so happens that because Old One Eye is looked to as the head of the pantheon, he gets the honor of having the religion named after him. The racist part comes from the Nazi party period, and the fact that folks are willing and able to simply say "Germanic people are white, so therefore those gods and white, and therefore they're right."

Also, the multiple god theory doesn't really hold much water in the realm of defining Paganism, as you'll find many, and many here, who don't venerate any deity at all or who just see the various gods and goddesses as extensions of a one supreme divinity. That really isn't all that different than the thoughts behind the Angels and Saints of various Christian faiths, as people will have icons, statues, medallions, etc to them, and will pray specifically to those beings instead of "God". Plus, the Marian Christians come very close to revering the Vigin Mary almost as a divine being in and of herself, separate from God and the Holy Trinity. (Interestingly, there is evidence that Judaism may have in fact been duo-theistic , something that hasd been lost through time and translation).

Comment

Some consider Jesus as divine and that his divinity negates any ethnic heritage . There are parts of the bible that can be read that way it wavers back and forth you could see Jesus as half divine fully divine or human depending on your interpretation. Also Jesus said that the he did not come specifically for the Jews that any one could follow him whatever verse it was in the new testament he talks about greeks, romans, scythians, barbarians etc.

Comment

Working...
                X