Altars honoring our Nordic Gods

"In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
    - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Re: Altars honoring our Nordic Gods

Rainwater... what a good idea! Is it bottled so it doesn't evaporate or get nasty? I may do that now. We're supposed to get some wicked thunderstorms tonight. One of my dogs is terrified of thunder. I always tell him that's Thor, our friend, but he's still skeptical.

Anyway...

My altar is dedicated primarily to Thor. On the wall above the altar is a framed 8x10 print of him. To the left and right of that are smaller framed prints of Odin and Freyr. It's my nod to the temple at Uppsala.

On the altar itself it a resin statue of Thor in the style of the Eyrarland Statue; two candles; a holder for stick incense; a small decorative copper tree that represents Yggdrasil; a small picture of the Norns by it, as well as a tiny bowl of water I change daily; my drinking horn; hammer; my seax,; a small bundle of oak twigs; a small bowl I pour libations in from the horn; and my hammer pendants when I am not wearing them.
    Attached Files
    śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

I use a cabinet my great - great grandfather made. One shelf is Asa, one Vanir and one Jotun. I have pictures of lots of the gods, bones, an acorn, buckeyes, feathers, candles. It's getting to be too much. I keep my cards, runes and mask on there too. I have to narrow it down to just the few I work with. Ullr has a hex sign. Thor, Odin, Holda and Hela really are all I need on there. I want to put a altar to Njorun in the bedroom separate from the main one.

Comment

Thorbjorn, the rain water I keep in clear wine bottles that I removed the label of. Corked of course
        - Finn's Saga

Comment

I thought that might be it. Thanks. And corks are particularly appropriate. They come from... [drumroll please]... oak trees!

Comment

I really enjoy your set up. I have my larger drinking horn hanging over Odins. And of course, forgetting to mention, all of my altars have offering bowls in one place or another

- - - Updated - - -

But as well, do you take off your hammer regularly? Mine has never left my chest since the day it was given to me. (Handmade by my godfather.)
            - Finn's Saga

Comment

Thanks. I thought about making a strap for the horn to hang it and make more room on the altar. I take my hammers off because one is bronze and one is sterling silver. They'll tarnish very badly from the shower. I alternate wearing them, I think wearing 2 at the same time is overkill... like wearing suspenders and a belt. They're kind of heavy too, which would make it really difficult to sleep. I hate to take them off though.

Comment

Mine is made from Silver and my arm ring (which is also quite heavy) is made from pewter. Even while the arm band was hard to get used to while sleeping, I haven't taken either off since I got them.
                - Finn's Saga

Comment

I've just had to pack my ritual room and altars up as we are moving, but usually I have a working altar that occasionally has candles and offerings to certain deities, and a permanent devotional altar for Skuld.

My altar for Skuld is relatively simple, which seems to be the way She likes it. It has a white altar cloth, two large black candles in holders, a scented votive candle in a painted votive glass that looks like blood swirling on water, a stemmed and lidded 'cup' thing which holds my blood offerings, a small personalised hand drawn sketch of Skuld from one of my favourite artists, and two dried blood-red rosebuds. I also wear a dagger pendant as a symbol of my allegiance to Her, which only comes off when I'm in bed (because it has a tendency to stab Torey in the middle of the night).

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                    , which only comes off when I'm in bed (because it has a tendency to stab Torey in the middle of the night).
                    Off topic: Well, at least you make the sacrifice. My armband loves to tangle into my girlfriends long hair. I've ripped a good couple chunks out by accident. Still sleep with it though.
                    And I just got done unpacking my altar room, as we just moved in less than two-three weeks ago. Yeah, it was such a pain.

I almost forgot to mention, I also have an altar dedicated to Loki. It's my cursing station, which has my poisonous herbs, mistletoe needles, bottles of war water, bag of bone Thorn runes for burning, and, a small bottle full of poisonous snake venom, which, not only is symbolic to Loki's timeless torture, but has been used to invoke his rage into my curses. (while I do not curse often, when I do, I make it very furiously powered.) there is also the root of a long dead alder tree. Doing a lot of research on alder, it is one of the trees most controlled by fire. Seeing as Loki represents chaos, and is directed along by the destructive forces of fire, I have made the connection that alder is his tree, and so a piece will forever sit and connect his natural side to my altar. There is also a painting of him that my friend made me, which, I haven't found a spot to hang yet. Oh well.
                    - Finn's Saga

Comment

Thorbjorn, that is one awesome altar!

Comment

Originally posted by Geroth View Post
                        Thorbjorn, that is one awesome altar!
                        Thanks. My next thing to do is get a nice table or chest with drawers so I can keep my stuff in. right now the altar is a set of black plastic utility shelves with a 21x21" board on top, and a white cloth covering it to the floor. The blue cover is wool with some colored stitching that is a re-assigned meditation cloth. I had it packed away and had a flash of inspiration to use it. Thor likes blue, white and red, hence the red candles.

Comment

You guys have some amazing altars! Mine is pretty simple, I have a short round wooden table covered with a nice white cloth. On it towards the front I have a hammer that we've had in the familly for a few generations, I like to think that it honors my family, as well as Thor. I molded a small statue of Thor out of clay and put it on there as well. Layed out behind the hammer is the first six runes of the Futhark, which I use to honor Odin and his sacrifice so that I may have knowledge and desire to seek higher thought. I also have Tiwaz, Berkanan, and Mannaz to honor Tir, Heimdal, and I use Berkanan because it was the first rune I blooded. Its small but certainly growing I just recently got a beautiful animal skull to honor Odin.

Comment

I don't have a space at home, school, or elsewhere that doesn't get barged in on. I was thinking of putting one in my trunk, the safest place I've got, but it seemed disrespectful.

Comment

These are two of my altars, one being for loki, the other for Odin

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the one for Freya and Frigga.
                              Attached Files
                              - Finn's Saga

Comment

Working...
                              X