Altars honoring our Nordic Gods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Altars honoring our Nordic Gods

Unfortunately I can't really do anything in the form of altars either at home or away at school--parents and roommates. But the altar pictures here are interesting, thank you for sharing. Maybe one day I'll be able to make an/some altar(s) for Thor and such.

Thorbjorn - that seax caught my eye in the one picture you posted. I have always been intrigued by the seax's shape (hence my username!) and got myself one.

Norse Angel - I have to ask, is your 'phrase' "I hope one day, our gods can be friends" from Ragnar from the TV show Vikings, to Athelstan? I swear I remember hearing it on there.

Comment

It Tis. I recently got into the show. I absolutely love it. Can't wait for the next season.
      "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
      And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
      They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
      The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
      - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
        It Tis. I recently got into the show. I absolutely love it. Can't wait for the next season.
        Same!

Okay I have a question for anyone here to answer. I would like to make an altar, but for the reasons in my last post, I'm not sure if I can feasibly make one. But does anyone know some ways in which I might be able to do so?

Comment

Seax, I've got a large trunk that I picked up quite a many year ago when I was just discovering Paganism in general. Then, I was living at home with my parents who are both Roman Catholic, and had raised me the same. At the time, that trunk became both storage space and altar for me. Inside, I kept all of the things I had gathered, from herbs to an athame to runes to ... you name it. When I wanted to do a ritual or something similar, I would take everything out that I needed, close the trunk, then set up the top of it as my altar. Perhaps this is something that you could look into?

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
            Seax, I've got a large trunk that I picked up quite a many year ago when I was just discovering Paganism in general. Then, I was living at home with my parents who are both Roman Catholic, and had raised me the same. At the time, that trunk became both storage space and altar for me. Inside, I kept all of the things I had gathered, from herbs to an athame to runes to ... you name it. When I wanted to do a ritual or something similar, I would take everything out that I needed, close the trunk, then set up the top of it as my altar. Perhaps this is something that you could look into?
            Yeah I'll have to look into that, thank you for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Seax_Blade View Post
              Unfortunately I can't really do anything in the form of altars either at home or away at school--parents and roommates. But the altar pictures here are interesting, thank you for sharing. Maybe one day I'll be able to make an/some altar(s) for Thor and such.
              You can make a shrine in an altiod tin, or a match box...I've made a shrine in a mini wheel of cheese box before. Same for an altar--a shoebox (you can even get a nicer than a shoe box (photo box) from a craft store)...a small shelf. I have an altar in a bread box.
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                You can make a shrine in an altiod tin, or a match box...I've made a shrine in a mini wheel of cheese box before. Same for an altar--a shoebox (you can even get a nicer than a shoe box (photo box) from a craft store)...a small shelf. I have an altar in a bread box.
                Wow, I didn't know they could be so small. I guess I was overthinking it lol.

Comment

Wow, I didn't know they could be so small. I guess I was overthinking it lol.
                  Lol, here are a couple (mostly non-Heathen) examples:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/460000549412287842/ (Buddha)

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/460000549411676251/ (ancestor shrine)

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/460000549412287793/ (Shiva)

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/508273507916539033/ (Odin)

...tbh, just put in "altoid" or "matchbook" and there are tons of ideas on Pinterest for all sorts of things... "shrine" or "altar" brings up plenty too...
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

I have an old oak box that I use as a travel altar. It fits neatly into a back pack, and I can go to a forest with all my necessities.
                    "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
                    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
                    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
                    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
                    - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

Cool examples.

Comment

I have a humble platter with things that - I hope - Eir finds pleasing. A green luxury cloth, incense, a nice green candle, and a green offering bowl where I give my extra change. It eventually gets emptied into a local donation. It isn't much, but it's what I can offer.

Comment

Today I went to the drugstore and picked up a few altoid tins (and a sandwich ), with the intention to make them into shrines/altars.

I did one today, for Odin, since after all it is that day of the week. After making it I recited the prayers, which I chose because they meant something to me. The first seemed like a good one for me starting out here. The 2nd one is because I am a bit of an artist--I play music and do creative writing, and the 3rd is because in my academic studies we've read and discussed so much about philosophy, wisdom, and learned a lot of stuff, and I want to always be a life-long learner. The pictures are a personal choice as well. The top one I just thought was a cool one for Odin, and the bottom one is because I feel a sort of connection with the wolf, and the wolf is also connected to Odin. I borrowed the first 2 (made slight adjustments) and I wrote the 3rd one myself.

Thank you to thalassa for the suggestion of the altoids tin! BTW I have to ask, is your name in any way connected to the Greek "thalatta" ("sea")? Your title "sea witch" made me think of it as well as the spelling. Just wondering .

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Thank you to thalassa for the suggestion of the altoids tin! BTW I have to ask, is your name in any way connected to the Greek "thalatta" ("sea")? Your title "sea witch" made me think of it as well as the spelling. Just wondering .

Pretty much! Its the spelling of the protogenoi deity of the Med--http://www.theoi.com/Protogenos/Thalassa.html
                              sigpic

Comment

My gods altar is a cabinet my great great grandfather made. The top shelf is all Holda items.

Comment

Working...
                                X