Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can you never leave your house without?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What can you never leave your house without?

Originally posted by ThorsSon View Post
    it is funny, to me, that you equate the two.

When I go out, I carry one of my W.R. Case Mini Trappers (I currently have 14 that I rotate (and several that I don't ever carry)... I am a collector of W.R. Case knives, but I can rarely bring myself to buy something and not use it).

To me, a pocket knife is a tool, not a weapon, and so I carry a hand-made knife of quality, that I can rely on. I don't carry something that flicks open with a fancy spring mechanism, something that has a flashy flourish when opening, or something with a large intimidating blade... I carry an old fashioned, razor sharp, hand made, pocket tool.

It is amazing how often a pocket knife comes in handy.

I use my knife, almost daily.

(but, then, I AM a country boy who works in construction)
    Going off topic, yeah, I see my knife as a tool as well, but now that I moved into a slightly bad neighborhood, I see it as something to use for protection purposes as well. Same thing with a gun, I keep my 9mm on the lower rest of my headboard, on my bed. that way, if some idiot decides my house is something worth breaking into, I can persuade them to leave.
    But yes, a gun would be something I would never leave the house without... If I didn't live in Illinois (one of the strictest anti-gun states)
    "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
    - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

I'm sorry that you feel unsafe in your home state...

But my weapons tend to stay home.
      "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

I'm sorry that you feel unsafe in your home state...

But my weapons tend to stay home.
        As a gun owner from IL, I actually prefer their laws to the open carry/licensed concealed carry of VA. I know very few people that do either that I think have the skill or training to be useful in an actual situation requiring a gun (for one of those "bad guys with a gun")...more likely they'd get their gun taken from them and used on them or they'd hit a bystander.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Not sure I could do 5, but there are a few things I always have in my bag whether for work or going out for the evening, so lets see how far I can get...

1) My wallet
          2) My old invalid passport that has an unfortunately phallic drawing of a butternut squash on one page - I'm 32 now, so rarely asked for ID, but it still happens once in a blue moon. The old passport does the job.
          3) Sunscreen - This is usually in my makeup bag, but if I'm only going out shopping, I'll take the sunscreen out. I can cope without my makeup in an emergency, but not without my sunscreen.
          4) A textbook. When I'm at work, I have a big pink zip wallet that my notebook, vocabulary book, main textbook and 3 workbooks all fit in, that is always in my bag. It is important to keep your mind active on night shifts, so no one really minds me studying for short bursts if it helps me to stay mentally alert. If I am just on a night out or something, I have a small narrow phrasebook that I carry to read on the bus or if I find myself sitting alone at all. It's a book for improving your ability to express your emotions in English, but as it's written in Japanese, it works the other way too.
          5) My mobile phone. This is the closest thing to a weapon that I carry. I can call for help, or call the police. Or just call my mum if I don't feel safe, letting her know my exact location. At least if this is taken from me, it can't be turned on me.

So yeah! There are five things I always carry. I usually have a pentacle around my neck, but I recently went more than a month without wearing it (its back on now), so it would have felt dishonest to add this to the list.

When I was a kid, I couldn't leave the house without a toy. I would panic as we were leaving and grab anything. This habit never quite left me and has manifested into different things at various points in my life. In my late teens/early twenties, it was a crystal. It would change depending on my mood or what I was going out for, but I'd have to take a stone of some kind with me. These days the textbooks have replaced the toy, and I can get quite anxious if I forget to take one out with me.
          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
            Going off topic, yeah, I see my knife as a tool as well, but now that I moved into a slightly bad neighborhood, I see it as something to use for protection purposes as well. Same thing with a gun, I keep my 9mm on the lower rest of my headboard, on my bed. that way, if some idiot decides my house is something worth breaking into, I can persuade them to leave.
            But yes, a gun would be something I would never leave the house without... If I didn't live in Illinois (one of the strictest anti-gun states)
            Alt-option if you feel a need to be armed. Find a place that teaches short-stick fighting and carry a hiking stick/cane with you. Nets you a large reach advantage against a knife or empty handed assailants and doesn't tend to attract cops. It won't trump a ranged weapon but if someone gets the drop on you with a gun in their hands, then you'd have a problem even if your state allowed concealed carry. Drawing a gun takes more time than squeezing a trigger.
            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

^^^ How long do you think it'll be before there's an assault case involving one of those selfie stick thingies? (I didn't know those existed until the other day. I was reading the list of banned items for the Kentucky Derby, and was like, WTF is that? LOL)

If I tried to leave the house without my glasses I wouldn't get far. In fact I'd probably not even get out of the house.
              sigpic
              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                ^^^ How long do you think it'll be before there's an assault case involving one of those selfie stick thingies?
                Never held one so I couldn't say but given just how strange human beings can be about weapon selection, I won't bet against it happening at some point.
                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

I have seen those "short sticks" used in Hong Kong during a crowd problem. It was a Hong Kong Cop that wadded through the crowd,and people were collapsing left and right as he proceeded. just a little bigger than the span of your palm(The secret is where you hit,mainly nerves)
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                    I have seen those "short sticks" used in Hong Kong during a crowd problem. It was a Hong Kong Cop that wadded through the crowd,and people were collapsing left and right as he proceeded. just a little bigger than the span of your palm(The secret is where you hit,mainly nerves)
                    Different short stick, I'm thinking a cane length item (so it's only short by comparison to a quarterstaff) because it hides in plain sight and provides a 2-3 ft reach advantage over most popular melee weapons.

Has short sticks taken a bit more literally along with actual knife techniques but Eskrima sticks might be recognizable enough to be banned in certain jurisdictions and knives carry length restrictions. I haven't come across an actual stick weapon smaller than an Eskrima stick but there are some pretty small melee tools out so it doesn't surprise me.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                      As a gun owner from IL, I actually prefer their laws to the open carry/licensed concealed carry of VA. I know very few people that do either that I think have the skill or training to be useful in an actual situation requiring a gun (for one of those "bad guys with a gun")...more likely they'd get their gun taken from them and used on them or they'd hit a bystander.
                      Oh yes I agree with this 100%. I go to the range every weekend, and being as young as I am, my aim is 5x better than most who walk into the doors. For example, two weeks ago, there was this women who asked me if he gun was loaded, and if not, how to properly load. She ended up pointing it at me while giving it to me. Could have lost a leg. Supreme stupidity. Another case was where This dude accidentally shot the glass window on the side of the range. It was bullet proof glass of course, but still has a bad shattered weakened part now. A lot of people should not have anything to do with guns. I think that if you want to own a fire arm, you should be mandated to take several training courses on how to actually use them properly before you can even purchase one from a store. I'd say the gun stores could even offer the courses. But that's just me. My aim is quite nasty when I want it to be. I'm deadly at 30-40 feet. But that because I've been around guns since I was little.

On the topic of canes, as said above, being as young as I am, I'd feel a cane would draw a lot of attention. I used to own a sword cane, and was stopped on the street twice for carrying it. Only one cop realized what it was, but let me off with a warning, saying never to carry it outside again. (The blade itself is an illegal length.)
                      Ill stick to my guns, still battling the long process of getting a CAC permit.
                      - Finn's Saga

Comment

One I saw used was a bit like this,though made of hardwood.

MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I think that if you want to own a fire arm, you should be mandated to take several training courses on how to actually use them properly before you can even purchase one from a store. I'd say the gun stores could even offer the courses. But that's just me. My aim is quite nasty when I want it to be.
                          The 2nd Amendment states that the right to bear arms will not be impinged... that sounds a little like impingement..

I'm deadly at 30-40 feet. But that because I've been around guns since I was little.
                          I think you left off a zero and got your unit of measurement wrong.
                          surely, you meant 300-400 yards... right?
                          But then, I've actually owned guns since I was little.

Comment

The 2nd Amendment states that the right to bear arms will not be impinged... that sounds a little like impingement..

I think you left off a zero and got your unit of measurement wrong.
                            surely, you meant 300-400 yards... right?
                            But then, I've actually owned guns since I was little.
                            Ahahaha good catch. Yeah I wrote this when I just woke up. With a rifle, I am deadly up to 200 yards, which in my book, for I do not shoot with rifles often, is quite good. I am deadly with a handgun at around 50-75 yards. Maybe a bit closer to 100 on a good day. I find its all about breathing. I'm not quite sure what my dead Brain was thinking with 30-40. Possibly the range I go to. It's at about 30-40 yards, but I've gone shooting in fields with friends, where we were hitting targets at least twice that distance.
                            - Finn's Saga

Comment

Do you two want to pull your dicks out for measure? If not please stop the machoness. It's ruining my right to be a girly girl and snicker at you two.
                              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                                Do you two want to pull your dicks out for measure? If not please stop the machoness. It's ruining my right to be a girly girl and snicker at you two.
                                Let's measure!

:-p

Comment

Working...
                                X