Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dealing with grief over climate change.

May 2012
    Religion
    Optimistic Agnostic
    Phrase
    Suspend Judgement

Dealing with grief over climate change.

The title is a little heavy. Sorry.

But I really feel strong grief over how the planet has been treated by mankind and now we feel the effects through climate change. I don't have science education beyond Year 10, but I understand the need to be environmentally conscientious. It's not really a topic that's discussed much among my friends and workmates, so I felt really alone in my grief. One night, I searched in Google for 'grief over climate change' and found this: http://isthishowyoufeel.weebly.com/t...ists-feel.html This helped to validate my grief but also gave me some optimism.

If I think about this too much, I get overwhelmed. I feel helpless because I'm really just a consumer. I can't engineer anything new to replace fuel sources or invent a biodegradable alternative to plastic. I can only work with the choices I have. The very naive part of me used to believe that if things got too bad, then other people would step up and create these alternatives for us and they would be cost-effective. Instead, I see a last-ditch effort to rip from the earth the already vastly depleted resources in one final push to get rich. I know I can't trust other people to do this stuff for me. I have to make it happen for myself. All I can do is keep my own conscious as clean as I can. My choices create the market for environmentally sustainable products. It feels a small impact, but it counts.

I try to make better choices wherever I can. Some of the things I do are:
    - use cloth nappies instead of disposables
    - be diligent at recycling
    - keep one car
    - reduce waste by buying fresh food and cook instead of buying packaged food
    - use reusable bags instead of plastic bags when I go to the markets
    - keep a worm farm for my garden instead of buying fertilizers
    - make my own cleaning products when I have time

Have you ever felt grief like me? What have you done to change the way you live?

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria

Re: Dealing with grief over climate change.

I remember first hearing about pollution, etc., around 1970, and all of that was an integral part of my decision not to have children.

Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

May 2012
    Religion
    Optimistic Agnostic
    Phrase
    Suspend Judgement

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
    I remember first hearing about pollution, etc., around 1970, and all of that was an integral part of my decision not to have children.
    Now that's a lifestyle change! lol. That would have been a hard decision to make. I don't know if I could have done that.

Dec 2010
    Religion

I was about 12 years old. I never once regretted that decision! There were many other reasons for it, and it's not like I wanted to have them and changed my mind.

Anyway - I try to buy organic, etc., and keep my footprint fairly small. I just read about something today - locally, there's sewage b eing dumped in a river where people used to swim/fish, etc. It seems like, if you're in a built-up area, you have industrial waste, and in rural areas, the towns dump sewage. It's like a big race to make the most mess. Very sad. All for the quick dollar.

May 2012
    Religion
    Optimistic Agnostic
    Phrase
    Suspend Judgement

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
    It's like a big race to make the most mess. Very sad. All for the quick dollar.
    Yep, the dollar is the bottom line. I'm really glad someone thought of how to market 'going green' though. If 'going green' can be good for business, that is the only way it can have a chance. It's gotta be lucrative but competitive at the same time!

Dec 2010
    Religion

One of my cousins is running a sustainable community program where he lives - we need that everywhere!

May 2012
    Religion
    Optimistic Agnostic
    Phrase
    Suspend Judgement

I would love to be involved in something like that!

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

I bought a chunk of land. It isn't huge - around 30 acres. But while I own it, it will lie fallow, a home for trees and whatever animals choose to live there.

I suppose it isn't much. But I know I can't trust the gooberment to conserve the land. They'll sell out any trust you put in them for small sack of magic beans - if not this year when they want your vote, then next year when they want someone else's money.

But I can trust me to treat my 30 the way I want it treated (one of the beauties of private ownership of property).

If many people did the same, that would end up being a lot of land held in good hands.

I am also live carefully. I don't reject much out of hand, but I do take only what I need, and some of what I want. I never take things just because others think I should. It tends to make me look like a kook to lot of people, but it seems like an honest way to live - at least to me.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Kids aren't all bad... My son last week (my rambunctious, not at all socially conscious, video-game addict, 6 year old) asked me if he thought there would be any polar bears when he grew up. I told him, maybe in a zoo. We've been watching polar bear documentaries on and off since, so he "knows what to tell his children, about how polar bears lived when polar bears didn't all live in jail". Meanwhile, Chickadee has been working on being a vegetarian for the past few months because she is concerned about fisheries.

We go out of our way to refuse disposable plastics and refuse or reuse single-use plastics--that means powdered laundry soap, bar soaps, glass containers in the kitchen, byo produce and grocery bags, say no to straws at restaurants (sometimes we aren't fast enough on this one), etc. The only disposable products we really consistently use (that is purchased for its purpose) is toilet paper--we ditched paper towels, napkins, and kleenex years ago. My kids don't get balloons. Since we live in an apartment, we take out the trash daily and use biodegradable trash bags (which admittedly have their issues) for big cleaning projects (when stuff isn't donatable), paper grocery bags for dry trash, and plastic grocery bags for wet trash--while we bring out own bags, we usually buy more than what fits in them (often because we use them for other stuff too...like storing the tennis gear, swimsuits, beach stuff, etc) and I never have all of them when I go shopping or to the market.

Without making this a *where to buy stuff* page...this is where we get plastic-free scrub brushes. Basically, as stuff has worn out or broken or been lost, we've replaced it with *not plastic*. Our dishes are all totally breakable fiestaware or stainless steel (for the kids, rather than plastic). Our glasses are all glass, and mostly jars with lost lids. Hubby uses a reusable coffee filter, and I use an infuser for most of my tea. Hubby and I both use an electric razor, rather than disposables, and we have LED lights now, rather than incandescent or CFLs.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Pollution is a necessary result of the inability of man to reform and transform waste.
    The transformation of waste
    The transformation of waste is perhaps the oldest pre-occupation of man. man being the chosen alloy,
    He must be reconnected via shit, at all cost.
    Inherent with(in) us is the dream of the task of the alchemist to create from the clay of man.
    And to re-create from excretion of man pure and then soft and then solid gold.

patti smith, High On Rebellion

Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.