No announcement yet.

Enter the Linguistic Pagan! 参上!言語学の異教徒!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Enter the Linguistic Pagan! 参上!言語学の異教徒!

Aww, I've just had a message pop up on HelloTalk celebrating the fact that I've been friends with the person I'm talking to for 35 days. That's such a cute incentive to stay in touch with the people you meet. You get messages when you've sent eachother a certain amount of messages too.

I love this app.

Mind you, I read a moment the other night from a teenaged girl saying that guys send her pervy messages. I'm kinda glad I'm in my 30s so don't get that. My friends are mainly female housewives with a few high schoolers just wanting help with their English homework!

Kinda makes me a bit angry that some people have to turn an innocent language exchange app into a tool to harass young women.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jembru View Post
      Aww, I've just had a message pop up on HelloTalk celebrating the fact that I've been friends with the person I'm talking to for 35 days. That's such a cute incentive to stay in touch with the people you meet. You get messages when you've sent eachother a certain amount of messages too.

I love this app.

Mind you, I read a moment the other night from a teenaged girl saying that guys send her pervy messages. I'm kinda glad I'm in my 30s so don't get that. My friends are mainly female housewives with a few high schoolers just wanting help with their English homework!

Kinda makes me a bit angry that some people have to turn an innocent language exchange app into a tool to harass young women.
      Yeah i still get some weird shit, that isnt technically ok or normal is western culture but i can work around it. Sick of people asking to add me on whatsapp though.
      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
      Seen the desert and the birds
      You cut your hair short
      Like a shush to an insult
      The world had been yelling
      Since the day you were born
      Revolting with anger
      While it smiled like it was cute
      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
        Yeah i still get some weird shit, that isnt technically ok or normal is western culture but i can work around it. Sick of people asking to add me on whatsapp though.
        It tends to be 'Line' with the Japanese, although I don't mind Line though so it's not a big problem. I'm just not on Line all that much.

Maybe you can help me something actually. How do you reply to someone personally on your 'moments'? It might be an issue with the android version, or might just be me being dumb, but it won't let me reply with the person's name.

When I click on their message, '@(person's name)' appears but in faint lettering. Then as soon as I write anything, their name vanishes. If I then input their name after '@', and send a message, it doesn't appear highlighted like in everyone else's messages, it's just black for me, and the message appears at the bottom of the thread, not under the message I'm replying to.

Do you have this issue? I've tried pressing 'enter' or arrow keys and nothing turns the faint writing into a highlighted name, and it just vanishes the second I type anything.

I wrote about Ostara the other day and how its symbolism exists today in Easter. The feedback was awesome, and one guy even wanted to go away and do his own research into Western neopaganism. It seems the Japanese find paganism quite relatable. I couldn't reply to everyone's question individually though, which was kinda frustrating.
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

It tends to be 'Line' with the Japanese, although I don't mind Line though so it's not a big problem. I'm just not on Line all that much.

Maybe you can help me something actually. How do you reply to someone personally on your 'moments'? It might be an issue with the android version, or might just be me being dumb, but it won't let me reply with the person's name.

When I click on their message, '@(person's name)' appears but in faint lettering. Then as soon as I write anything, their name vanishes. If I then input their name after '@', and send a message, it doesn't appear highlighted like in everyone else's messages, it's just black for me, and the message appears at the bottom of the thread, not under the message I'm replying to.

Do you have this issue? I've tried pressing 'enter' or arrow keys and nothing turns the faint writing into a highlighted name, and it just vanishes the second I type anything.

I wrote about Ostara the other day and how its symbolism exists today in Easter. The feedback was awesome, and one guy even wanted to go away and do his own research into Western neopaganism. It seems the Japanese find paganism quite relatable. I couldn't reply to everyone's question individually though, which was kinda frustrating.
          Yeah also Line, which i dont have.

I cant help sorry, never used Moments. Is it like a feed is it? Like fb or something?

RIP

You cut your hair short
          Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Yeah also Line, which i dont have.

I cant help sorry, never used Moments. Is it like a feed is it? Like fb or something?
            Do you use lang8? Moments are the HelloTalk equivalent of writing an entry on lang8. You can write a sentence or a full article, there's no limit. Then people will correct your grammar, or comment just like lang8. On the screen where all your conversations are (when you first open the app), there is a little tab menu at the bottom. Your conversations are called 'talks'. To the right there is an icon called 'moments'. If you click on that, you can see things Indonesian members have written in English (although some will post in their native language and treat it like Facebook or Twitter). You can then correct their English or comment in either language. If you want to write a moment you can click on the feather in the top right corner.

You get way more corrections on moments than you do during chats. At least in my experience, people don't want to stop the flow of conversation to point out my mistakes, so just let them slide. It's definitely worth using the feature if grammatical accuracy matters to you.

Comment

Do you use lang8? Moments are the HelloTalk equivalent of writing an entry on lang8. You can write a sentence or a full article, there's no limit. Then people will correct your grammar, or comment just like lang8. On the screen where all your conversations are (when you first open the app), there is a little tab menu at the bottom. Your conversations are called 'talks'. To the right there is an icon called 'moments'. If you click on that, you can see things Indonesian members have written in English (although some will post in their native language and treat it like Facebook or Twitter). You can then correct their English or comment in either language. If you want to write a moment you can click on the feather in the top right corner.

You get way more corrections on moments than you do during chats. At least in my experience, people don't want to stop the flow of conversation to point out my mistakes, so just let them slide. It's definitely worth using the feature if grammatical accuracy matters to you.
              Ooooo handy! I will look into this. Thanks Jem

RIP

You cut your hair short
              Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

• I now love moments.

RIP

You cut your hair short
                Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

I now love moments.
                  Don't forget to let me know if you work out how to get the @name to highlight in the replies. Seems everyone else can do it but me!

Comment

Don't forget to let me know if you work out how to get the @name to highlight in the replies. Seems everyone else can do it but me!
                    I just tap the one i want to reply to?

RIP

You cut your hair short
                    Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

I just tap the one i want to reply to?
                      Yeah? That's doesn't work for me. Their name comes up faintly in the reply if I tap on them, but anything I type deletes it. I wonder of there's technical support. Sounds like a fault with my version.
                      Last edited by Jembru; 29 Mar 2017, 08:25.

Comment

Yeah? That's doesn't work for me. Their name comes up faintly in the reply if I tap on them, but anything I type deletes it. I wonder of there's technical support. Sounds like a fault with my version.
                        Yeah not sure. Ask in moments? Haha

RIP

You cut your hair short
                        Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Yeah not sure. Ask in moments? Haha
                          I guess I could try!
                          I've taken a screen shot of what I see if I click on a reply. As soon as I write anything the name vanishes and what I type replaces it.

(I definitely didn't deliberately choose this image because the message above reads 'Such eloquent and perfect Japanese.' -It's just Japanese politeness but I'll take the complement! Too bad I can't reply and thank her personally for the kind words though.)
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                            I guess I could try!
                            I've taken a screen shot of what I see if I click on a reply. As soon as I write anything the name vanishes and what I type replaces it.

(I definitely didn't deliberately choose this image because the message above reads 'Such eloquent and perfect Japanese.' -It's just Japanese politeness but I'll take the complement! Too bad I can't reply and thank her personally for the kind words though.)
                            can you just @hername in the mean time?

RIP

You cut your hair short
                            Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

can you just @hername in the mean time?
                              I can, but it doesn't appear highlighted in blue like it does for everyone else and I don't think it will alert them that I've replied to them personally.

Definitely sounds like a fault on my phone.

Anyway, I'm glad you're enjoying moments! I don't know what the Indonesians are like, but the Japanese members seem a bit more relaxed about corrections compared to lang8 (they were merciless on there... even if your grammar was right they'd change it just because they thought their way sounded better!). I guess so long as I'm getting the main mistakes fixed for now, that's something!

Comment

I can, but it doesn't appear highlighted in blue like it does for everyone else and I don't think it will alert them that I've replied to them personally.

Definitely sounds like a fault on my phone.

Anyway, I'm glad you're enjoying moments! I don't know what the Indonesians are like, but the Japanese members seem a bit more relaxed about corrections compared to lang8 (they were merciless on there... even if your grammar was right they'd change it just because they thought their way sounded better!). I guess so long as I'm getting the main mistakes fixed for now, that's something!
                                Indonesian grammar is really really basic haha. Definitely the easiest language to learn!

RIP

You cut your hair short
                                Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment