Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whatcha thinking about now? (v2)

Originally posted by Eleanor View Post
    Today I'm going to tell my manager I'm going to look for another job. I was hired 3 months ago as a junior Java developer. They also hired a senior developer to educate me. But then they gave the senior so many responsibilities, he doesn't have time to help me. So my manager decided that, as long as this is the case, I will be testing instead of developing. So I have been testing for the last 3 months and have not written a single line of code... I'm nervous for the conversation today, but it's for the best.
    I realize I come from an older generation, COBOL, NEAT 3, RPG, FORTRAN, C, C+, etc but many times the junior programmers often got the task of running and testing instead of developing. In part because if something failed we got the task of going through the code line by line to see what failed and why. In the process of "Testing" and "Running" we were in fact learning to develop our own programming skills and knowledge of the languages.

If you could follow the execution of the program and understand the running of the system that was in fact learning to "program" and develop coding techniques. It was learning the logic of system operations and routines, sub-routines.

I admit I know basically nothing about JAVA. Heck even less about how the modern IT office works except to the extent of people I occasionally talk to. But 3 months seems really to be no time at all. Given you've not revealed any "Experience" level on your part or past job performance 3 months really seems to be nothing to be measured against. Being hired as a "Junior" developer would suggest limited to at most only a college level back ground in my experience. Which again would suggest 3 months is no time at all.

But as I said I come from a different generation so my perspective may differ so consider it or ignore it as you will.
    Last edited by monsno_leedra; 05 Nov 2018, 13:31.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
      I realize I come from an older generation, COBOL, NEAT 3, RPG, FORTRAN, C, C+, etc but many times the junior programmers often got the task of running and testing instead of developing. In part because if something failed we got the task of going through the code line by line to see what failed and why. In the process of "Testing" and "Running" we were in fact learning to develop our own programming skills and knowledge of the languages.

If you could follow the execution of the program and understand the running of the system that was in fact learning to "program" and develop coding techniques. It was learning the logic of system operations and routines, sub-routines.

I admit I know basically nothing about JAVA. Heck even less about how the modern IT office works except to the extent of people I occasionally talk to. But 3 months seems really to be no time at all. Given you've not revealed any "Experience" level on your part or past job performance 3 months really seems to be nothing to be measured against. Being hired as a "Junior" developer would suggest limited to at most only a college level back ground in my experience. Which again would suggest 3 months is no time at all.

But as I said I come from a different generation so my perspective may differ so consider it or ignore it as you will.
      I wouldn't have minded the testing if I was also allowed to look at the code to figure out the "why" the way you learned it. But I can't even see the code that this software was build with because it was build by another company. The other company is building a website for the one I actually work for. So all I can do is press buttons and test forms to see if things are working. If they're not, I log bugs for the developers and then they figure out why it's not working. I don't even know what the code for this product looks like, so I'm not learning anything.

Originally posted by SeanRave View Post
      I think what they mean is that for the past three months they have been doing something else than what they were hired for.
      That is exactly what I mean. I was promised that I would start learning to code from day one. Then things turned out way different. My manager totally underestimated the scale of this project and his solution was to give the senior developer, who was supposed to educate me other responsibilities to help with the project and to let me do the testing, "just for a couple of weeks". My manager repeatedly promised me dates on which I'd start coding, but those dates got postponed every time. So "a couple of weeks" turned into 3 months.

I didn't get to speak to my manager yesterday, so I'll try today. I'm working via a recruitment agency who I already called that I want to quit here. I don't have to worry about getting paid, because the agency pays me, even in between jobs. Together with them, I'll go looking for another job.

Comment

I wouldn't have minded the testing if I was also allowed to look at the code to figure out the "why" the way you learned it. But I can't even see the code that this software was build with because it was build by another company. The other company is building a website for the one I actually work for. So all I can do is press buttons and test forms to see if things are working. If they're not, I log bugs for the developers and then they figure out why it's not working. I don't even know what the code for this product looks like, so I'm not learning anything.
        I can understand your frustration then, that would drive me nuts. Your basically the monkey in the middle who pushes the button and see's if the banana drops out right now. If another company is writing the code makes me wonder what your senior developer is actually doing then. Especially since most companies retain control of their product and you can't even tweak their codes or even write sub-routines to enhance many of the processes.

Before I retired from the school system we used an old dbase3 system that I had to call the company to get minor changes done that I knew how to do myself. Yet they owned the product rights so it was illegal to even touch the code. Funny at times I knew more than the person I was talking to because it was an outdated program language. Yet to make the changes you had to go into the coding lines to update it. But that is how they make their money, retain the rights to their products and codings even though the actual language is a common program language.

I wish you luck in finding another job that allows you an opportunity to expand your Java Development credentials and abilities.
        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

That falls into RE,and as anyone who codes knows,RE is hack level stuff. I have in my time learning assembler used a debugger(and other programs to study code flow) but I was self taught,never working in a commercial house. my assembler is my hobby developed over MANY years
          never any black hat stuff.
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I'm feeling a bit burnt out right now. Our house is a wreck. We have trouble keeping up as is, but have made a point to keep it clean since the roach scare. We had a Samhain gathering last week here and I haven't quite caught up since. The 4 yo is driving me nuts today (swinging between feeling sick and extra hyper). School is a lot, and while I've been keeping up on it, I'm really feeling the urge to slack just now, and I CAN'T. It's time to knuckle down and just get stuff done, but I'm beat. Thanksgiving holiday is coming up, so that'll be good, a week with virtually no assignments, yay!
            We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
            It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
            Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
            -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
              I'm feeling a bit burnt out right now. Our house is a wreck. We have trouble keeping up as is, but have made a point to keep it clean since the roach scare. We had a Samhain gathering last week here and I haven't quite caught up since. The 4 yo is driving me nuts today (swinging between feeling sick and extra hyper). School is a lot, and while I've been keeping up on it, I'm really feeling the urge to slack just now, and I CAN'T. It's time to knuckle down and just get stuff done, but I'm beat. Thanksgiving holiday is coming up, so that'll be good, a week with virtually no assignments, yay!
              Sorry you're not feeling up to snuff.

I feel the same myself today - took a day in sick from work just because all this stomach stuff I'm dealing with has been leaving me really fatigued. I've done nothing but sleep today, and it feels wonderful.

Hope you feel better!

Mostly art.

Comment

I started my diet today. Hope I'll stick to it and get in better shape.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Good luck SeanRave! I've been looking into Mindful Eating. Working at Wendy's hasn't helped, so I am hoping Mindful Eating plus watching what I eat will help me in general.

I go tonight for my sleep study test. They are going to use a c-pap to see if I am going to sleep any better. I went in September I think it was and they finally saw that there was something wrong with me. Before that I went maybe two or three years ago and we knew there was something wrong, yet they didn't think there was. I leave soon. I hope things go okay with my test.
                  Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Are you on Reddit? There's an excellent keto community there. Also, get yourself some test strips on Amazon to test if you're in ketosis - from what I hear, the first few weeks are rough and you can experience keto-flu, but after that, it's amazing.

I haven't done it, but I eat a lot of low carb meals these days. I thought about doing keto, but I have so many restrictions now, I don't want to introduce any more.

Mostly art.

Comment

How would this diet effect type2 diabetes?,I am still trying to understand my new condition.

- - - Updated - - -

I have decided when NJ makes weed legal to take up vaping as an ingestion method for pain,and mood expansion. NJ is now a short time from FULL legal consumption passing.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I just wanted to use an old phone I had and now I'm installing a new OS because I cant figure out any other dang way to get apps on the thing. Even just installing apk files doesnt work. I know it's an old phone but how does nothing work here.
                        Circe

Comment

Good luck, Sean. Keeping a diet can be tough.
                          The only diet I've been able to keep is vegan, but it's more of a lifestyle than a diet I think. I've been vegan for 1,5 years now. I didn't go vegan for my health, but I did lose weight and I had physical problems that disappeared soon after I changed my lifestyle, which was a great bonus. I hope your diet will bring you good health as well

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
                          I just wanted to use an old phone I had and now I'm installing a new OS because I cant figure out any other dang way to get apps on the thing. Even just installing apk files doesnt work. I know it's an old phone but how does nothing work here.
                          What phone is it? I used to have an 'old' phone, about 6 years old and new apps just wouldn't run on it without the phone becoming very slow and even crashing. 6 years ago, there was nothing this phone couldn't handle...

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                            Are you on Reddit? There's an excellent keto community there. Also, get yourself some test strips on Amazon to test if you're in ketosis - from what I hear, the first few weeks are rough and you can experience keto-flu, but after that, it's amazing.
                            Yeah, I'm on reddit, already subscribed to the keto community sub-r. I got myself some strips from my local pharmacy already I'm ready for the keto-flu but I'm confident it won't be as bad. I've been already doing OMAD (one meal a day) for about two months now, so I actually have ketones being produced often. Hope that's enough to skip it haha.

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                            How would this diet effect type2 diabetes?,I am still trying to understand my new condition.
                            I've gotten very good feedback from people with type 2 diabetes on the keto diet. blood sugar much more stable and insulin resistance went significantly down for most of them. Most of them don't even take medication anymore, mostly those on "therapeutic" keto anyway.

Good luck, Sean. Keeping a diet can be tough.
                            The only diet I've been able to keep is vegan, but it's more of a lifestyle than a diet I think. I've been vegan for 1,5 years now. I didn't go vegan for my health, but I did lose weight and I had physical problems that disappeared soon after I changed my lifestyle, which was a great bonus. I hope your diet will bring you good health as well
                            Though I do need to lose weight, I also want the other health benefits that come with it. Thanks!

Comment

keto is mainly meat based,right?

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                                keto is mainly meat based,right?
                                For Ketosis to happen in your body you need your caloric intake to be 5% Carbs MAX, 20-25% Protein and 70-75% Fats.

You do need to count carbs though, and with some apps it's pretty easy.

Comment

Working...
                                X