becoming a demigod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

becoming a demigod

My question is is it possible for someone to become a demigod. I personally think its not, but I watch a tun of anime so I just felt like asking and seeing what people thought on this subject.

Re: becoming a demigod

I think, by definition, that you are born a demigod. If you become anything it would be a god or godlike.
    Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Certain hero's gain such a status after some epic quest and action in mythology so I suppose it might be possible. But then again such a heroic quest doesn't seem to be part and parcel to today's society. People do not seem to have the desire to forsake all of themselves to do for another and face almost certain doom against unsurmountable conditions where the outcome will be death.

So while mythology wise is seems possible I doubt anyone today could perform such a task and gain the recognition needed to become one.
      I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the term "demigod" used to refer to a person's lineage? AKA: one parent was a god and the other was not? Mythologically speaking, no. I do not think it's possible.

Literally speaking, HELL NO.
        No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
          Mythologically speaking, no. I do not think it's possible.
          Mythologically speaking, anything is possible. A god could decide they like a particular mortal and wave their hand, poof, now that mortal is half god.
          Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
            Mythologically speaking, anything is possible. A god could decide they like a particular mortal and wave their hand, poof, now that mortal is half god.
            I suppose you're right about that. But it's a moot point.

Comment

Isn't this religion-specific? I mean, most gods in Hellenic mythology, for an example, don't have anywhere near that kind of authority.

Comment

Originally posted by axbancroft View Post
                My question is is it possible for someone to become a demigod. I personally think its not, but I watch a tun of anime so I just felt like asking and seeing what people thought on this subject.
                Oh, and anime is a terrible starting point for "research."

Comment

It's a terrible source for research, but why does it matter where an interest in a subject comes from?

Comment

It's a terrible source for research, but why does it matter where an interest in a subject comes from?
                    Have to agree with this. There are a lot of things I've discovered initially due to some game, comic book or movie. To my perspective its not the source of inspiration that is dangerous its the belief that the source is always the only correct perspective without question. That tends to lead to no further investigation of the subject in my opinion which is the real danger.
                    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I imagine it would matter as it would provide insight as to why that person has displayed interest.

Comment

I watch anime for entertainment. It has nothing to do with research. But just like other forms of entertainment it can cause questions to arise.

Comment

"My question is is it possible for someone to become a demigod. I personally think its not, but I watch a tun of anime...."

The way it reads makes it sound like the anime(s) in question have caused him to second guess the topic, meaning that he is putting stock in them as opposed to simply doing some research. Or he could have simply not mentioned the anime.

I'm not attacking here, I'm just curious as to why it was necessary to bring up the anime, which kind of makes this thread seem silly to me. No worries. I won't be posting anymore on this.

Comment

From what I have seen, it's as good as place as any.

Comment

Well personally I can't stand anime But, while I'm not sure what would qualify as a 'demi-god,' I certainly believe that it's possible to achieve through psycho-spiritual development a level of power that would appear 'god-like' to many people, examples of which can be found in any culture, or as a result of any real system of internal development, the immortals of Taoist tradition, the adepts of the west, etc etc. This power generally (although not always) develops hand in hand with spiritual growth and the expansion of consciousness.

Comment

Working...
                              X