This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pronunciation

Can someone please give me a guide to pronouncing all these names? I'm exploring some Norse mythology, considering Heathenry (is that correct?), and really have no clue how to pronounce everything. Basic rules and guidelines? Because so far, I've come across nada that can help with that.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Re: Pronunciation

I googled 'Old Norse pronunciation guide'; this was the first 'hit' of many.
    I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
    Tribe of my Tribe
    Clan of my Clan
    Kin of my Kin
    Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
    And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Much thanks!
      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
        Can someone please give me a guide to pronouncing all these names? I'm exploring some Norse mythology, considering Heathenry (is that correct?), and really have no clue how to pronounce everything. Basic rules and guidelines? Because so far, I've come across nada that can help with that.

Comment

Currently, this is the prayer I'm working on memorizing (because for me at least, prayer tends to be a doorway to learning a tradition and it's one of the main ways I like to study). I'm pretty sure this one came from the Northern Traditions book I checked out, if anyone wants the source. If I could pronounce all this reasonably well, I'd be happy.

I am a keeper of the future; my love outruns my anger.
          I am a keeper of the future; my patience outruns my pride.
          I am a keeper of the future; my hope outruns my despair.

In the name of Frigga, All-Mother, may I be a force of frith in my home.
          In the name of Oden, All-Father, may I love my child regardless of heritage.
          In the name of Thor, Hammer-Bearer, may I protect my child fiercely.
          In the name of Sif, Mother of Truth, may I teach them honestly.
          In the name of Jansaxa, Mother of the Mighty, may I grow my children hale and sturdy.
          In the name of Jord, Earth-Mother, may I learn to give more than I thought I could.
          In the name of Ran, Sea-Mother, may I teach my child to protect herself.
          In the name of Aegir, Sea-Father, may I send my child forward as a gift to the whole world.
          In the name of Gefjon, Bull-Charioteer, may I shape my child in ways that honor her strengths.
          In the name of Njord, Goodfather of Ships, may my arms shelter her even from far away.
          In the name of Nerthus, Mother of Vanaheim, may I always have enough to nourish her.
          In the name of Freya, Mother of Jewels, may I teach her to find beauty in the world.
          In the name of Loki, Father of Many, may I love my child regardless of who and what sheturns out to be.
          In the name of Angrboda, Mother of Monsters, may I love my child even at her most difficult.
          In the name of Sigyn, Lady of the Staying Power, may I face a parents losses with dignity and grace.
          In the name of Laufey, Mother of Chaos, may I know what is best for my child.
          In the name of Farbauti, Father of Flame, may I never put off showing my love.
          In the name of all our ancestors, may my children make you proud and may I do well in this task, the most important one that I will ever undertake.

I am a keeper of the future; my love outruns my anger.
          I am a keeper of the future; my patience outruns my pride.
          I am a keeper of the future; my hope outruns my despair.

Comment

There are Jotnar deities in there, so it's definitely a Northern Tradition prayer rather than a Heathen one. If you are looking into the Northern faiths, it will be helpful for you to be aware of the difference... we've got some really great, open minded and accepting Heathens here at PF, but a lot of Heathen groups will tear you to shreds for being Northern Tradition. You don't have to worry about it here, but be prepared for that if you are posting stuff up in Heathen communities.

The NT folk at Asphodel Press generally mix and match their languages and time periods, so I'll translate the names into Old Norse before I give you pronunciations. I don't do Old English, so I can't help you with those pronunciations. Old Norse is my language of choice lol. But also remember that the deities don't seem to care... we've been mispronouncing their names for hundreds of years. This is not something that you should feel obligated to care about. Lots of people don't, and that's perfectly okay. If you want to just use the common Anglicized US versions then it actually is okay to do that.

In Old Norse the stress is always in the first syllable, so I wont bother to do the capitalise-to-indicate-stress thing.

In the name of Frigga, All-Mother, may I be a force of frith in my home.
            ON Frigg. 'Frig-g'.
            The r is lightly trilled (but not rolled), the i is like that in 'is' and you hold the double g so that it has a sort of natural kick at the end.

In the name of Oden, All-Father, may I love my child regardless of heritage.
            In the name of Thor, Hammer-Bearer, may I protect my child fiercely.
            In the name of Sif, Mother of Truth, may I teach them honestly.

ON Sif. 'Sif'
            This one is easy. The i is like in 'is'. The typical northern US accent tends to make the i slightly too short when paired with most consonants, so you may have to lengthen it very slightly, but it is not a long vowel in ON. Think 'is' rather than 'it'. The difference may seem subtle, but if you say 'it' and 'is' together you'll be able to hear it.

In the name of Jansaxa, Mother of the Mighty, may I grow my children hale and sturdy.
            In the name of Jord, Earth-Mother, may I learn to give more than I thought I could.
            In the name of Ran, Sea-Mother, may I teach my child to protect herself.
            In the name of Aegir, Sea-Father, may I send my child forward as a gift to the whole world.
            In the name of Gefjon, Bull-Charioteer, may I shape my child in ways that honor her strengths.
            ON Gefjun. 'Gef-yun'
            The G is hard. The e is like in 'men'. Then j is 'yuh' like in 'yes'. The u is like the 'ou' in 'would'.

In the name of Njord, Goodfather of Ships, may my arms shelter her even from far away.
            In the name of Nerthus, Mother of Vanaheim, may I always have enough to nourish her.
            In the name of Freya, Mother of Jewels, may I teach her to find beauty in the world.
            ON Freyja. 'Fray-yuh'
            The 'ey' is like in 'they' or 'fray' (ie jumped into the fray). The j is like 'yes'. The a is the short a of 'bad'.

In the name of Loki, Father of Many, may I love my child regardless of who and what sheturns out to be.
            ON Loki. 'Low-ki'.
            The 'o' here is like in 'omit' or 'home'. The i is like in 'is'. Technically there's a slight twist in the o so that it's not quite the way that they say it in the Marvel movie... but it's close. As long as you don't say 'Lock-y' then you're on track lol.

In the name of Angrboda, Mother of Monsters, may I love my child even at her most difficult.
            In the name of Sigyn, Lady of the Staying Power, may I face a parents losses with dignity and grace.
            In the name of Laufey, Mother of Chaos, may I know what is best for my child.
            ON Laufey. 'Louw-fey'
            The au is like the ou in 'house' or 'out' (the US version, not the Canadian version) or the end of 'allow'. The ey is like in 'they' or 'fray'.

In the name of Farbauti, Father of Flame, may I never put off showing my love.

Comment

Working...
            X