I love to see this kind of thing in action -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love to see this kind of thing in action -

Apparently, presidential candidate Romney regrets his comment about the 47% of us who are social leeches.

After days and days of reading articles by his cronies which attempted to justify his remark - as well as Romney himself defending it - he is now willing to admit that he was wrong. COMPLETELY wrong.

I really love watching politicians try to rewrite history.

I guess they figure we're all too dumb to remember what they said and did last week...
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: I love to see this kind of thing in action -

Was Romney the guy who thinks that 'middle class' = $150k + annual salary?

Comment

Ehhh there is still too much bull poo, flying on both sides, and he spits out an apology in the same breath as more poo just comes flying out... We cant have just one whole statement with some all factual information in it?
      I still hate them all...
      "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
      English humorist & science fiction novelist (1952 - 2001)
      http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
      ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I think one thing both candidates miss is we are basing our economic theory on an outdated model. With the tech revolution many of the models for predicting how the economy will react are based on a late 19th century,early 20th century vision of just what the economy really is. Mostly what we see is based on the industrial revolution,and that modal is no longer viable for how to deal with the changing economy. They(the economic wizs) MUST find a new modal to base their theory on taking into account the massive changes that the tech revolution has caused in how the "NEW" economy really functions. In my opinion mistakes are based on faulty ideas to deal with a new reality.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I absolutely agree. When Regan "fixed" the economic situation, he only delayed the eventual economic collapse! basing an economy working with the world on a strictly domestic model can never make sense! I just don't understand why these things aren't being discussed, How is it regular people having a mad online discussion can see that there is an inherant problem, but the people studying this stuff cannot? I know I don't credit the mass of human society with an over abundance of brain power, but we can't be alone here can we?

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
          ~Jim Butcher

Comment

See, our politicians make stupid mistakes too, but at least they are so, so sorry when they do.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUDjRZ30SNo
            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
              Ehhh there is still too much bull poo, flying on both sides, and he spits out an apology in the same breath as more poo just comes flying out... We cant have just one whole statement with some all factual information in it?
              I still hate them all...
              "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
              English humorist & science fiction novelist (1952 - 2001)
              I totally agree with this entire statement!

I personally don't think ether one of them has a fricking clue about what gone wrong in this country and are in fact incapable of understanding the most basic concepts of what needs to be done to correct the problems. A total disconnect at the brain stem has occurred on both of these rich politicians as far as I'm concerned has happened in regards to the middle class. Nether one is competent enough to be elected to position of (I apologize to all dog catchers) dog catcher.
              Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

The problem is not unlike when Einstein changed what physics was based on,the major powers in physics fought against it very hard,because these people's positions within the community relied on their being seen as the most knowledgeable in their field.
                With the new model from Einstein,there position was put in danger of being labeled outdated,and to continue in their position they had to relearn what was a life's work in building. Many realized that changing ships in mid stream for them was impossible.

It may well be that they do understand the problem,BUT because finding a solution would put their position in jeopardy,so for them it is easier to ignore the bigger picture,and that keeps them from progressing into a shift of vision. When the old school types start dieing off,the younger ones will begin to change the model that we now find ourselves in.
                Last edited by anunitu; 05 Oct 2012, 08:26.
                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                  See, our politicians make stupid mistakes too, but at least they are so, so sorry when they do.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUDjRZ30SNo
                  Jembru, I tried to watch the video, but my wonky Internet at home won't let me. I'll try at work on Monday. I bet it's hilarious.

Honestly, I no longer care who, if anybody, has the answers, or even if answers really exist or not.

What pisses me off is that they seem to imagine that the entire nation is made up of people with both short and long term memory loss.

This is way too Nineteen Eighty-Four for my tastes.

This 47% thing, I think, will loose him the election. The retirees, who spent their entire working life forced to pay into social security, do not see themselves as dependent on government. They see themselves (and rightly so, IMHO) as getting what they paid for. And I'm willing to bet that most people receiving government aid also do not see themselves as freeloaders, but as people who would much, much prefer to have decent jobs...

The retirees all suddenly hate Mr. Romney.

By by Mitt...
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                    I think one thing both candidates miss is we are basing our economic theory on an outdated model. With the tech revolution many of the models for predicting how the economy will react are based on a late 19th century,early 20th century vision of just what the economy really is. Mostly what we see is based on the industrial revolution,and that modal is no longer viable for how to deal with the changing economy. They(the economic wizs) MUST find a new modal to base their theory on taking into account the massive changes that the tech revolution has caused in how the "NEW" economy really functions. In my opinion mistakes are based on faulty ideas to deal with a new reality.
                    The problem (from an ecological standpoint) is that no economists seem to ever take a basic ecology class. If they had, they would understand that infinite growth is impossible in a closed system. And, until we find some aliens civilizations, or get a couple of exploitable planets...Earth is (effectively) a closed (economic) system (as opposed to 100-200 years ago), and we need to focus on building sustainable economic systems. Which probably means eliminating the legal gambling system of betting on pieces of paper that represent parts of business but actually have nothing to do with the actual purpose of the business, that we call the stock market.

Anyhoo...

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                    This 47% thing, I think, will loose him the election. The retirees, who spent their entire working life forced to pay into social security, do not see themselves as dependent on government. They see themselves (and rightly so, IMHO) as getting what they paid for. And I'm willing to bet that most people receiving government aid also do not see themselves as freeloaders, but as people who would much, much prefer to have decent jobs...
                    Ah...yes...the 47%. I'm pretty sure Mitt would say that he wasn't meaning myself and my VA disability payments and my GI Bill, or the fact that I received unemployment when I got out of the military, or my military income, or my student loan from prior to joining the military (which I've mostly paid back), or my VA health care... But that sure as heck is what he sounded like he was talking about. Honestly, considering that my husband and I can barely pay the bills we have AND manage to feed ourselves and the kids (and we have the bare minimum in terms of bills), I certainly don't begrudge a family making less that we do assistance like WIC or Head Start.
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                      Ah...yes...the 47%. I'm pretty sure Mitt would say that he wasn't meaning myself and my VA disability payments and my GI Bill, or the fact that I received unemployment when I got out of the military, or my military income, or my student loan from prior to joining the military (which I've mostly paid back), or my VA health care... But that sure as heck is what he sounded like he was talking about. Honestly, considering that my husband and I can barely pay the bills we have AND manage to feed ourselves and the kids (and we have the bare minimum in terms of bills), I certainly don't begrudge a family making less that we do assistance like WIC or Head Start.
                      I diddnt realize you wre former military too! or are you still in? Don't wanna derail thread though.

~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                        Yes - I know he didn't "mean" what he said, but I think he let the cat out of the bag on the WAY he thinks. Very scary.

And, Thalassa, you've earned everything you have -if military service does not equal "earning," I don't know what does - and there is no way that anybody could rationally accuse you of being a moocher, but... he sure as shit made himself look bad, and the attempt to justify it before admitting the mistake is certainly not very impressive, or likely to instill any confidence in a thinking person.

And then, of course, on another issue, he says some very insulting things about the US diplomatic service, attempting to score some hard- ass points, capitalizing on a tragic international incident... This guy scares me. I have a hard time believing that MY government could come to this. MY country will NOT turn into that kind of THING.
                        Last edited by B. de Corbin; 05 Oct 2012, 15:39. Reason: My usual typos

Comment

...Actually, I disagree with you there, Corbin. Given everything I know of the culture I was raised in, he most likely feels completely justified saying things that " the rest of us just aren't ready for" to an elite few. Especially as a former Bishop.
                          Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by Dez View Post
                            ...Actually, I disagree with you there, Corbin. Given everything I know of the culture I was raised in, he most likely feels completely justified saying things that " the rest of us just aren't ready for" to an elite few. Especially as a former Bishop.

Oh yup, no doubt he feels justified...

But his culture isn't my culture, and I really don't care for his "elitism." His elitist attitude is, actually, the thing that burns me...

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
                              I diddnt realize you wre former military too! or are you still in? Don't wanna derail thread though.
                              lol! No, the hubby and I both escaped the Navy in 2009...

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                              Yes - I know he didn't "mean" what he said, but I think he let the cat out of the bag on the WAY he thinks. Very scary.

And, Thalassa, you've earned everything you have -if military service does not equal "earning," I don't know what does - and there is no way that anybody could rationally accuse you of being a moocher, but... he sure as shit made himself look bad, and the attempt to justify it before admitting the mistake is certainly not very impressive, or likely to instill any confidence in a thinking person.
                              I don't disagree with you there at all. I'm not sure what is scarier---that he is elitist enough to think that in the first place, or that he is dumb enough not to have thought that statement through. Between retirees, military and veterans, and persons with disabilities and their families, he's offended a huge population of people that work(ed) damn hard for the benefits they or their loved ones receive.
                              Last edited by thalassa; 06 Oct 2012, 15:51. Reason: double posr
                              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X