The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Re: Rune of the Month

From a fiction novel I love and have based some UPG on.

"Berkano, 'birch': the greenest with leaves,
        Loki brought the luck of deceit,
        deep the bog at winters end."

I haven't seen Berkano and Loki linked before.

My rune notebook only has the notes 'birth rune' and 'fertility' in it.
        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
        Seen the desert and the birds
        You cut your hair short
        Like a shush to an insult
        Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

I think something that became very clear to me when I wrote my book on the Anglo-Saxon runes was that the different translations do vary A LOT. So everything has been filtered through a third party (the translator) who of course have their own agenda (and I use that word advisedly, because many of the early translations were by people who were at least nominally Christian and weren't, for example, going to let heathen gods into the picture without a fight!) Os is a particularly good example of this but there is plenty to be found in Beorc too.

Whatever rune poems you work with do please get hold of several different translations and compare them. It's quite an eye opener.

Comment

Isa is one of my favourite runes and I always love drawing this one

Isa

Elder Futhark: *īsa, Proto Germanic, meaning 'ice'
            Younger Futhark: Old Norse meaning 'ice'
            Anglo Saxon Futhorc:Old English, meaning 'ice'

Phonetic value: 'i'

Pronunciation: Now you all reply and add your insights...
            Last edited by Rae'ya; 10 Apr 2017, 00:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
              From a fiction novel I love and have based some UPG on.

"Berkano, 'birch': the greenest with leaves,
              Loki brought the luck of deceit,
              deep the bog at winters end."

I haven't seen Berkano and Loki linked before.

My rune notebook only has the notes 'birth rune' and 'fertility' in it.
              It is not my wish to be rude or offensive but I read somewhere I have forgotten where, long ago, that the rune Berkana is the symbol of a mothers pair of big great round milkfilled breasts, giving forth the milk of life.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                Isa is one of my favourite runes and I always love drawing this one
                Whoop we're back!!!

Isa, for me Isa is a freezing, pause, a solid mass getting in the way... Divination-wise we're talking a hold or a break or shits gonna get frosty. Take a moment to stop and think. Don't try and force through the ice berg.

From my favourite rune poem of no real importance...

Isa 'ice'; the broadest bridge, glistens like glass, fair is the frost, the rivers rind is feg mens foe.

Making me think of the bifrost in Thor. Also thinking about the idea of morning dew or frost on thr grass having a power. Theres a local Adnamatna story where the girls wash themselves in the morning dew to refresh them and protect them. Also seen things about retaining youth.

RIP

You cut your hair short
                Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Boduos View Post

It is not my wish to be rude or offensive but I read somewhere I have forgotten where, long ago, that the rune Berkana is the symbol of a mothers pair of big great round milkfilled breasts, giving forth the milk of life.
                  Lol maybe haha

RIP

You cut your hair short
                  Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Whoop we're back!!!
                    Hahaha yep, it's more like 'Rune of Rae'ya's whim' at the moment, but we'll eventually get through them all!

I love Isa. It was the first rune that I was ever really drawn to as a kid, and it's always been very special to me. I think that it's often misunderstood and feared by people, though perhaps not as badly as Hagalaz.

To me, Isa is very calming. It's a great sheet of Arctic ice, sparkling blue and impossibly deep. It's cold and implacable, but to me that's a very comforting and calming thing. It speaks to me of powerful forces, hidden depths, unstoppable glaciers that shape the land, delicate crystals as deadly as they are pretty, of the deepest depths of blue shadows, of great ice caves and frozen lakes hiding away their treasures. It speaks to me of the frost thurse and the Nornir. Isa can be used for stopping or slowing down incoming energy (and I have used it along with Hagalaz for blocking and confusing negative energy directed at me), but it can also be used for finding that still, calm center deep within you. I tend to read it as a reminder rune when it pops up, depending on who it is grouped with. Usually for me it is a warning to find my center, take a deep breath and examine what is around me. Sometimes it is a warning not to take things at face value... to look past the pretty delicate sparkles and clear pale sheets of ice... because sometimes things are not what they seem, sometimes the surface is only thin, and the delicate ice has a razor sharp edge, and the emptiness may hide a preserved memory of something long dead. It is rarely about obstacles or threats to me... that is the domain of Thurisaz, Naudhiz and sometimes Hagalaz. But I think Isa calls to it's own... to those of frost thurse persuasion, to those who tend towards logic and cold hard rage rather than emotion and fiery outbursts. To me Isa is introspective, calm and calculating. It is logic and reasoning and the implacable movement of powerful things beyond my control. Which may seem a paradox... though in a nonsensical kind of way that is comforting to me.

Comment

I think Isa and Hagalaz are very closely related, and often see them together.

Interestingly, the first rune i was drawn to as a kid was Laguz... which always confused me cos I'm very much an air sign and here's me drawing the water rune on everything haha. Coupla water babies here maybe? 😉

RIP

You cut your hair short
                      Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

I think Isa and Hagalaz are very closely related, and often see them together.

Interestingly, the first rune i was drawn to as a kid was Laguz... which always confused me cos I'm very much an air sign and here's me drawing the water rune on everything haha. Coupla water babies here maybe? 
                        Hagalaz is another of my favourite runes (Isa, Hagalaz and Uruz are my three runic besties). I also think that Isa and Hagalaz are related, like two sides of the same coin. Laguz I've never been particularly drawn to. It's funny, because astrologically I'm dominated by earth and fire signs, yet Isa and Hagalaz call me strongest. And if you ask Torey what comes through in my personality in terms of how I present and process things, he'll say earth and ice. Plus I am sworn to a frost thurse whose will is as implacable as any glacier, so perhaps that is a factor hahahaha.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post

Hagalaz is another of my favourite runes (Isa, Hagalaz and Uruz are my three runic besties). I also think that Isa and Hagalaz are related, like two sides of the same coin. Laguz I've never been particularly drawn to. It's funny, because astrologically I'm dominated by earth and fire signs, yet Isa and Hagalaz call me strongest. And if you ask Torey what comes through in my personality in terms of how I present and process things, he'll say earth and ice. Plus I am sworn to a frost thurse whose will is as implacable as any glacier, so perhaps that is a factor hahahaha.
                          Ansuz, and Sowilo here I reckon... my air sign plays out well in Ansuz, and perhaps Sowilo. Laguz has less pull for me now. Perhaps Ive moved on.

RIP

You cut your hair short
                          Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

For me, Is, Hagall and Nyd are all interconnected. They provide a sudden change in the progression of the Rune Poem.

I don't (personally) believe we can only consider runes individually, the way they fall in the poem is also important because they often hark back to earlier verses and foreshadow those that are to come. My own translation is:

Ice is overly cold, and excessively slippery,
                            Clear as glass, similarly bejewelled,
                            A pavement wrought of frost,
                            A fair vision

Comment

I beg your pardon Hagazussa, but which Rune is Nyd?

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                                For me, Is, Hagall and Nyd are all interconnected. They provide a sudden change in the progression of the Rune Poem.

I don't (personally) believe we can only consider runes individually, the way they fall in the poem is also important because they often hark back to earlier verses and foreshadow those that are to come. My own translation is:

Ice is overly cold, and excessively slippery,
                                Clear as glass, similarly bejewelled,
                                A pavement wrought of frost,
                                A fair vision
                                Yeah Nauthiz is definitely a part of that lil trio.

Your rune poem speaks to me of a bridge too, "pavement wrought of frost". More bifrost?.

RIP

You cut your hair short
                                Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment