Magic square SATOR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magic square SATOR

I found a reference to the sator square in a book called "mathematical clubs and recreations", by s.i. Jones, kingsport press, 1940

This reference cites as scource an earlier work, a periodical called The School Visitor.

The article is titled "a remarkable sentence" by C G Keyes, from the "school visitor" no date cited. I am going to try to switch to full site view and see if you will let me upload a picture of it. Do ppl post pics here or no?

- - - Updated - - -

I am unable to post any photos to the board or the profile either one, it's certainly operator error on the one hand and lack of permission on the other I guess. Anyways if anyone wants the text from the old book, I can type it in

Re: Magic square SATOR

Yes, that would be very interesting indeed! If the text is no longer protected by copyrights then you should certainly post it here.
    Last edited by SalvatorMundi; 14 Nov 2021, 04:52.

Comment

My connection keeps timing out, it's basically to frustrating to use. I just responded to your post and now it's all gone

Comment

Originally posted by Skittlebisquit View Post
        I found a reference to the sator square in a book called "mathematical clubs and recreations", by s.i. Jones, kingsport press, 1940

This reference cites as scource an earlier work, a periodical called The School Visitor.

The article is titled "a remarkable sentence" by C G Keyes, from the "school visitor" no date cited. I am going to try to switch to full site view and see if you will let me upload a picture of it. Do ppl post pics here or no?

- - - Updated - - -

I am unable to post any photos to the board or the profile either one, it's certainly operator error on the one hand and lack of permission on the other I guess. Anyways if anyone wants the text from the old book, I can type it in
        Pic loading probably is running into the link restrictions. At various times, the board has run into invasions of spam accounts that would drop in, leave links and/or pics in half a dozen places and then leave (or get booted when a mod/admin finds that their entire post history involved links to gambling sites) so links require that you have 15 posts outside of the intro or gaming sections. I've forced links through in the past for people but right now, you're already most of the way to bypassing newbie restrictions and making the five posts to switch your usergroup is probably faster than sending me whatever you want posted and waiting till I'm on to respond.
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I understand about the picture policy, now, thank you for explaining it to me. I actually read a little of the faqs section last nite and there is another explanation there, much like what you just said.

I wonder why the trolls even bother? Its rhetorical I guess, I have seen other boards where it is more of an active issue, its confusing to me. I dont see the point, but I'm not much of a modern man.

So just a few more posts and perhaps I will be able to upload a photo, perhaps I need to find the dieties in charge of modern ways and feed them, so the phone will work better. I may summon the patience and grace to speak with a customer service person today, but it's not a high end device at all.

On the issue of copyright I thought that 50 years was about right to consider something unprotected generally but I'm not sure. Some of the modern folk take such issue seriously. In general is it ok for me to take a pic of a page from a book and upload it, or would you rather I did not do that?

Comment

Copyright has a tendency to get longer and longer (blame Disney) but it shouldn't apply to your goals here. Fair Use doctrine allows the use of small pieces of copyrighted work. If you're tossing up a section of one page to talk about and telling us where you got it from then you should be safe from legal concerns and we will likely leave it be unless contacted by irritated lawyers. If you toss up half the book, links to pirated copies or claim as your own invention material something that I've seen before then the site's rules on copyright and plagiarism kick in.
            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Working...
            X