Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yulin Is Barbaric

I prefer this one
    Watch the Viking Kittens take on the world with this classic Led Zepplin song.
    Last edited by monsno_leedra; 08 Mar 2017, 20:01.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post

I understand that some cultures are different and I totally get it. Maybe I should be open-minded.
      This is exactly why people have disagreed with you up to now. Glad you're coming round.
      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
      Seen the desert and the birds
      You cut your hair short
      Like a shush to an insult
      The world had been yelling
      Since the day you were born
      Revolting with anger
      While it smiled like it was cute
      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
        This is exactly why people have disagreed with you up to now. Glad you're coming round.
        Yes but I'm still not comfortable eating dogs.

Comment

And that's ok. No one is asking you to.
          �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
          ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
          Sneak Attack
          Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

I don't think many people are. The only time I think anyone had mentioned actually eating dogs is like when I say that eating dog is no different to eating cow for me. If I was going to eat meat, dog and cos aren't different. I wouldn't discriminate.

RIP

You cut your hair short
            Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
              And that's ok. No one is asking you to.
              And let's keep it that way.

Originally posted by Heka View Post
              I don't think many people are. The only time I think anyone had mentioned actually eating dogs is like when I say that eating dog is no different to eating cow for me. If I was going to eat meat, dog and cos aren't different. I wouldn't discriminate.
              I know that some people are dog person. (People who likes dogs.) And you go to another country where people eats dogs. Then you want to try eating it. But then you have second thoughts about the self-conscious and mortality of eating something you care of for a living. It's just like you're betraying a pet by devouring their own kind.

Comment

And let's keep it that way.
                Shrug, you started a thread specifically to call out the tradition of another culture. You repeatedly chose to keep the thread going. If you spend less time doing the aforementioned than everyone else's vanishingly small interest in your dietary habits will shrink even more. If you continue the aforementioned practices then eventually people are gonna get pissed off enough to decide that if its okay for you to demand that others model their dietary habits on your belief system then its only fair that equivalent demands can be made on you.

TL;DR, let this subject die and no one will have any motivation to discuss the merits of eating dogs. Keep the topic alive and you get what you pay for.
                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Sadly we humans violate mortality and morality on a daily basis. I would make excuses for we humans,BUT there really is no defense,and it "May" be "Mortality" that defines our approach to death about ourselves or other living creatures,rather than Morality
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                    Shrug, you started a thread specifically to call out the tradition of another culture. You repeatedly chose to keep the thread going. If you spend less time doing the aforementioned than everyone else's vanishingly small interest in your dietary habits will shrink even more. If you continue the aforementioned practices then eventually people are gonna get pissed off enough to decide that if its okay for you to demand that others model their dietary habits on your belief system then its only fair that equivalent demands can be made on you.

TL;DR, let this subject die and no one will have any motivation to discuss the merits of eating dogs. Keep the topic alive and you get what you pay for.
                    Fine I'll stop.

Comment

So...just to play devil's advocate here...

In China, TCM* (Traditional Chinese Medicine) is a thing. It is a cultural practice with a long history (2500 years +) and includes herbalism, acupuncture, the use of massage, exercise and diet therapy, etc. It also includes the use of rare species and endangered and threatened species, which sometimes go for thousands of dollars and has (along with the rise of the Chinese version of the nouveau riche) directly funded the illegal wildlife trade. That trade is the fourth largest criminal enterprise, globally, and is just as much a direct cause of the critical endangerment of dozens of species world wide, from rhinos to the vaquita, as habitat loss and degradation. TCM directly funds poaching of tigers in India as well as tiger farming for body parts in China itself, for endangered sea turtle eggs, rhino horn (which is just keratin--use your own fingernails and hair) from Indonesia and Africa and apparently now zoos, for the totoaba (an endangered fish) and the vaquita (gets tangled in the nets which are actually illegal) in Mexico, etc. This particular cultural practice also funds crime and otherwise affects communities around the world, including local corruption and interfering the governmental politics of even on the level of a nation-state.

So, my question is this:

When is "its a cultural thing" not a good enough answer?

And "well the West does it/has done it too" is a cop-out and not a real answer. I am well aware that the history of the US and European nations is littered with similar behavior, as it seems to be a human instinct to find and use rare things as a way to distinguish the "haves" and "have nots" and, once a culture has a sufficient enough middle class, for that middle class to want to emulate and acquire the status symbols of the wealthy/power class, further exacerbating the consumption problem. I think "its a cultural thing" isn't a good enough answer for doing these things, regardless of the culture, including my own.

(We can always split this into another thread)

*TCM, officially has removed some of these products from its pharmacopeia, but in the informal/under-the-table/unofficial/lay practice of TCM, it goes on aplenty.
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                        This only requires a short answer - The examined life is not worth living. Examine, even, your personal and cultural sacred cows.
                        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                          This only requires a short answer - The examined life is not worth living. Examine, even, your personal and cultural sacred cows.
                          Sorry - should be "unexamined life"
                          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                            So...just to play devil's advocate here...

In China, TCM* (Traditional Chinese Medicine) is a thing. It is a cultural practice with a long history (2500 years +) and includes herbalism, acupuncture, the use of massage, exercise and diet therapy, etc. It also includes the use of rare species and endangered and threatened species, which sometimes go for thousands of dollars and has (along with the rise of the Chinese version of the nouveau riche) directly funded the illegal wildlife trade. That trade is the fourth largest criminal enterprise, globally, and is just as much a direct cause of the critical endangerment of dozens of species world wide, from rhinos to the vaquita, as habitat loss and degradation. TCM directly funds poaching of tigers in India as well as tiger farming for body parts in China itself, for endangered sea turtle eggs, rhino horn (which is just keratin--use your own fingernails and hair) from Indonesia and Africa and apparently now zoos, for the totoaba (an endangered fish) and the vaquita (gets tangled in the nets which are actually illegal) in Mexico, etc. This particular cultural practice also funds crime and otherwise affects communities around the world, including local corruption and interfering the governmental politics of even on the level of a nation-state.

So, my question is this:

And "well the West does it/has done it too" is a cop-out and not a real answer. I am well aware that the history of the US and European nations is littered with similar behavior, as it seems to be a human instinct to find and use rare things as a way to distinguish the "haves" and "have nots" and, once a culture has a sufficient enough middle class, for that middle class to want to emulate and acquire the status symbols of the wealthy/power class, further exacerbating the consumption problem. I think "its a cultural thing" isn't a good enough answer for doing these things, regardless of the culture, including my own.

(We can always split this into another thread)

*TCM, officially has removed some of these products from its pharmacopeia, but in the informal/under-the-table/unofficial/lay practice of TCM, it goes on aplenty.
                            Ok. You kind of lost me just about......everything. Can you explained a bit more clearly please?
                            Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 15 Mar 2017, 11:49.

Comment

See it's tricky, because there are plenty of people who could make the decisions from up on high, kinda like a judge hands down sentences. But then who gets to make the call? Who stops them getting corrupted? I think the decision as to what practises are ok and not, particularly when it comes to life are relatively easy. But who makes the call and decides what is "right".

RIP

You cut your hair short
                              Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

China treats its animals badly.

It's like...China. Think on that.

Did we expect it to treat animals fairly when it treats its citizens like shit?
                                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Working...
                                X