This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

I see simular attitude when people talk to me in regards to my serious mental illness. People tell me I'm not trying hard enough to overcome the symtoms. As if I have switches I can flip to turn them off or fight them. I explain how imbalances in the brain are the cause and that medication is the answer. Then thell me to try different meds. I have literly tried allmost every single med for my condition. Then they Go back me trying harder or getting a different doctor. They just can't accept no matter what I say that this is me, unless a new med comes out. These are the same people who say Socical Security disability and Medicaid crutches, handouts, and for freeloaders. I have had this conversation, or some variation sever times. sometimes with the same people more than once.

They talk to friends for advice rather than my doctor or doing independent research, and when I suggest that and they say they aren't smart enough to understand. They should know they can because I just explained the facts to them, they understood enough to know they don't believe it. It really burns my britches.

Comment

My daughter was hospitalized for a mood disorder for months. I had well meaning people tell me that she should get a hobby. Hobbies do help somewhat with mood management, but at that point taking up cross-stitch or juggling wasn't gonna do the trick.

Comment

I understand,having been in the mental health system with MAJOR depression. It took time,and I also got the "pull yourself up by your boot straps BS", People are so stupid having never been in your shoes,and thinking it is not as powerful(The mental issue,and physical state as well),I have seen a few then themselves fall into the mental health chasm,and finding that karma IS a BITCH.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I'm still working my way through the Black Jewel series with my SOs (we have a nightly tradition of reading something for the grownups together). We're working on The Invisible Ring right now. I really love this series. For those of you who love the Kushiel series, if you haven't read the Black Jewel series, I can't recommend it enough.
          We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
          It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
          Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
          -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
            I'm still working my way through the Black Jewel series with my SOs (we have a nightly tradition of reading something for the grownups together). We're working on The Invisible Ring right now. I really love this series. For those of you who love the Kushiel series, if you haven't read the Black Jewel series, I can't recommend it enough.
            Its one of my favourites. I really like her as an author, but I don't like all of the series she's written.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              Its one of my favourites. I really like her as an author, but I don't like all of the series she's written.
              Yeah. The Tir Allainn series was a difficult read for me. And I haven't tried the Other's series. I liked Ephemera pretty well.
              We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
              It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
              Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.

Comment

Yeah. The Tir Allainn series was a difficult read for me. And I haven't tried the Other's series. I liked Ephemera pretty well.
                Is this the series where
                Spoiler!

Cuz if so, those books are messed up.

Mostly art.

Comment

The part of your post in the spoiler tag shows in the "What's New" view of the site. Weird.
                  sigpic
                  Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                    The part of your post in the spoiler tag shows in the "What's New" view of the site. Weird.
                    The activity stream suppresses BBcode. Pretty much anything in a tag will be completely ignored by it. One of these days, I may look into whether that's optional but it hasn't been particularly important to date.
                    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                      The activity stream suppresses BBcode. Pretty much anything in a tag will be completely ignored by it. One of these days, I may look into whether that's optional but it hasn't been particularly important to date.
                      Interesting - I never noticed it before!

I just finished reading "In Pieces" - Sally Field's autobiography. I really didn't know much about her personal life, so it was a pretty good read.
                      sigpic
                      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                        Is this the series where
                        Spoiler!

Cuz if so, those books are messed up.
                        Possible TRIGGER WARNING

Possibly, in the Black Jewels... There's a pretty graphic scene of a 12 yo's rape close to the end of the first book. She was a virgin, and I don't specifically remember a device being used, so I'm not sure. I don't remember anything like that from the Tir Alainn series. The Black Jewels has some really graphic content throughout, but I do a pretty good job of editing that out for myself as I read. At least after the first read through. I've been reading this series to my SOs and while I feel it takes something away, I don't read any of the sections from the perspective of the bad guys in the books because my gf is pretty sensitive to the graphic content. And I edit, at times heavily, the sections form the good guys perspective to get rid of the graphicness while still relaying the content as close to the original as I can. I really tone it down, which makes me exercise my previously nearly nonexistent improv skills.

All that being said. I love the universe in general. I love the concepts and the culture and the religion as it is. I find it fascinating on the same level that I found the Kushiel series fascinating.

Comment

I found the world-building for the Black Jewels series entertaining on a number of fronts. It's not a series that I'm in any great rush to re-read but it was a fun series and the choices in world building amused me.
                          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

All that being said. I love the universe in general. I love the concepts and the culture and the religion as it is. I find it fascinating on the same level that I found the Kushiel series fascinating.
                            I LOVED the Kushiel series. I haven't read much of the books that followed the first 6, though... I should finish them. :/ Or get them on audio book, actually.
                            �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                            ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                            Sneak Attack
                            Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                              I LOVED the Kushiel series. I haven't read much of the books that followed the first 6, though... I should finish them. :/ Or get them on audio book, actually.
                              The last three books take place more than a hundred years after the first set (I want to say 300 years later) and I wasn't as interested in them as I was the first six. All the characters I knew were dead and gone, and it was only minimally related to the first six. That may be why you never got around to reading them.

Comment

The last three books take place more than a hundred years after the first set (I want to say 300 years later) and I wasn't as interested in them as I was the first six. All the characters I knew were dead and gone, and it was only minimally related to the first six. That may be why you never got around to reading them.
                                I do believe that was a large part in why. There were even parts in the first six that somewhat lost my interest. Usually when things got overly mystical. It felt a bit rushed.
                                �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                                ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                                Sneak Attack
                                Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Working...
                                X