Post interesting and weird entertainment from your country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post interesting and weird entertainment from your country

So, I've noticed lately that we have a lot of members from all over the world coming in, and this forum is less North American than it used to be. One thing I kind of love is seeing different random things from different countries. It can be weird, amusing, or simply awesome....it can be a video clip, song, or whatever. It doesn't have to be in English....if you think it's noteworthy, post it!

I got the idea because of the Winnetou movies from Germany. My boyfriend loves them, and I felt the need to explain to someone how bizarre I find them. First off, they appeal to a romanticism of the old west that many people in Germany share. I think it has a lot to do with the ideal of living off the land and being closer to nature. Second of all, they're based on books written by a man called Karl May, who had never actually been to the US. This is pretty clear when you watch the movies....they're westerns, but you get the feeling that no one involved actually knows things about the Old West.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

There are a bunch of others in "related videos". Scroll through it and see. I think you don't have to speak German to get the novelty of it.

British people...if you ever manage to understand it, there's a British character called Lord Castlepool who is one of the most bizarre stereotypes in the whole film (and this is coming from a movie about Native Americans made by people who have never met any real Native Americans).

Post your own!

Re: Post interesting and weird entertainment from your country

It's not my country, but Footrot Flat is an awesome Kiwi show/comic if anyone ever decides to check it out. It's a country/farmer type comedy told from the POV of the dog Involves cricket, crocs, wild boars, big busted chicks and bitches in heat
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
      So, I've noticed lately that we have a lot of members from all over the world coming in, and this forum is less North American than it used to be. One thing I kind of love is seeing different random things from different countries. It can be weird, amusing, or simply awesome....it can be a video clip, song, or whatever. It doesn't have to be in English....if you think it's noteworthy, post it!

I got the idea because of the Winnetou movies from Germany. My boyfriend loves them, and I felt the need to explain to someone how bizarre I find them. First off, they appeal to a romanticism of the old west that many people in Germany share. I think it has a lot to do with the ideal of living off the land and being closer to nature. Second of all, they're based on books written by a man called Karl May, who had never actually been to the US. This is pretty clear when you watch the movies....they're westerns, but you get the feeling that no one involved actually knows things about the Old West.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

There are a bunch of others in "related videos". Scroll through it and see. I think you don't have to speak German to get the novelty of it.

British people...if you ever manage to understand it, there's a British character called Lord Castlepool who is one of the most bizarre stereotypes in the whole film (and this is coming from a movie about Native Americans made by people who have never met any real Native Americans).

Post your own!
      As both an American and a (not particularly great) speaker of German, that pushed all of my WTF? buttons. xD

As far as weird entertainment from my country...well...I'm an American...it's ALL weird. O-o

Comment

Anyone here ever heard of the Redneck Olympics?This makes me feel particularly ashamed to be an American some times.

Comment

here is Finland!

http://theheathenstudyclub.proboards.com/

Comment

In my country we have a charming parody band called "Die Antwoord" (The Answer). They use a lot of political and societal situations and stereotypes in their music, mainly focusing on race and class divides. Their main look is of the "poor white" and revel in anything dirty or freaky. They're terrible and utterly glorious. I doubt people who aren't from South Africa will understand a lot of what they're going on about (they sing in a mixture of English, Afrikaans and African languages in a rather thick accent) but the imagery is both humorous and provocative. If I'm not mistaken they have quite a following in Europe and the US, so you may have heard of them.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Riothamus12 View Post
              Anyone here ever heard of the Redneck Olympics?This makes me feel particularly ashamed to be an American some times.
              http://summerredneckgames.com/
              LOL thanks for sharing!

- - - Updated - - -

The videos from Finland and South Africa were really entertaining and interesting!

Comment

This person came from my country. Some kind of alternative girly pop music kind of thing going on. Apparently very popular with 6 year old girls. Though I have seen much older people enjoy his music. Probably the weirdest "Entertainment" to ever come from Canada.

White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
                sigpic
                In Days of yore,
                From Britain's shore
                Wolfe the dauntless hero came
                And planted firm Britannia's flag
                On Canada's fair domain.
                Here may it wave,
                Our boast, our pride
                And joined in love together,
                The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
                The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

LOL thanks for sharing!

- - - Updated - - -

The videos from Finland and South Africa were really entertaining and interesting!
                  Glad it brings someone joy. :P

Comment

This person came from my country. Some kind of alternative girly pop music kind of thing going on. Apparently very popular with 6 year old girls. Though I have seen much older people enjoy his music. Probably the weirdest "Entertainment" to ever come from Canada.
                    How shameful XD
                    sigpic

Comment

Nardwar is from Canada. He's wonderfully weird. I highly recommend his interviews. He's a brilliant interviewer, but also crazy to watch.

Comment

Post your own!
                        While I could make out very little of it, you could tell it was not done by americans, or anyone who had been to that part of this country.... also the native american steriotypes were bad.... like worse than 1950s bad...

But knowing that it was writting by a bunch of germans, and getting bits (very few bits and pieces of the language) of the language they used... I had a pretty good giggle...
                        http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                        ~Jim Butcher

Comment

The thing about the Winnetou films is that they don't really mean to be stereotypical; they just don't know. Karl May wrote the books at the end of the 19th Century, and he'd never been to the U.S. He just highly romanticized the idea of the west. That romanticism came back in Germany in a big way in the 1960s. Westerns (both John Wayne and other American ones and the Spaghetti westerns) were super popular, and that's when the books got made into a movie. They were all filmed in Croatia (yep) and places like that, and I'm pretty sure no one involved had ever left Europe haha. If they ever went to North America, they didn't go to the West, or have any contact with Native Americans, ever.

Most people now are pretty aware of how stereotypical they are, but they're not quite aware of -how- wrong they are. Like, all the details are wrong. In the first movie, they have a town, and it's all set up in a circle around the train station. I pointed this out to my boyfriend, and he was really confused that I was being nitpicky about how towns were built. And I was all like "But you've never been to the west before!"

Comment

Barry Humphries is most famous for the alter-ego Dame Edna. Dame Edna is larger than life. In all of her interviews, she steals the show. Barry has channelled her in such a way that she really is her own person. She is a fictional character that has been indulged by Australia and the world to the point where she has truly come alive. She is an example of lines being blurred between reality and fantasy. She's a fictional character that has become so much a part of our history. A modern legend.

Comment

DAME EDNA!!!! haha
                              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                              Seen the desert and the birds
                              You cut your hair short
                              Like a shush to an insult
                              The world had been yelling
                              Since the day you were born
                              Revolting with anger
                              While it smiled like it was cute
                              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment