Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Ancient Goddess Discovered?

Link here.

These kinds of things amaze me, because I've been wondering for some time if there's deities out there that have yet to be discovered in the spirit world, and then we manage to find one right in the physical world.

Re: New Ancient Goddess Discovered?

Wow! This is amazing!
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

This is really awesome. I often wonder how many Gods have been lost to time. I'll take this as a lesson to keep myself open on my path, who knows who you might find.

Comment

I heard of this goddess before. just news that they found proof. pretty much found it in one of Raven Grimassi's books.
        Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Good With Kethup.

Comment

Originally posted by lightdragon View Post
          I heard of this goddess before. just news that they found proof. pretty much found it in one of Raven Grimassi's books.
          Yeah...it's been a while since I've read mythic* by him, but I don't recollect this.

*much---fixing autocorrect
          Last edited by thalassa; 29 Aug 2016, 07:10.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
            Yeah...it's been a while since I've read mythic by him, but I don't recollect this.
            I forgot which book. but I think it was either Italian witchcraft or Hereditary witchcraft.

it is also quoted by other places and authors. Uni was often equated with Juno.
            Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Good With Kethup.

Comment

I forgot which book. but I think it was either Italian witchcraft or Hereditary witchcraft.

it is also quoted by other places and authors. Uni was often equated with Juno.
              The Etruscan goddess Thalna is sometimes also equated with her, and/or with Hera.

There's quite a bit of info about Uni out there, I just didn't recollect Grimassi going into it---but its been a long while since I've read anything by him...

(For anyone interested in Etruscan religion, Nancy Thompson de Grummond and Larissa Bonfante are pretty much the way to go in terms of information.)
              Last edited by thalassa; 29 Aug 2016, 07:26.
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                The Etruscan goddess Thalna is sometimes also equated with her, and/or with Hera.

There's quite a bit of info about Uni out there, I just didn't recollect Grimassi going into it---but its been a long while since I've read anything by him...
                anything on Italian or Etruscan folklore that I know of was solely from Grimassi. a lesser extent from Monsno. but never to my knowledge of Uni.

Comment

Uni is mentioned quite a bit in the book The Religion of the Etruscans, by Nancy Grummond, University of Texas Press, 2006. Seen her mentioned in other works as well so she is not exactly a newly discovered goddess. Granted many times it is in relationship to other goddesses through comparison or similarities of their purposes or roles. Figure this book was published in 2006 so well before this article's date of 2016 which suggests poor research on the part of the authors part who wrote the article I think.
                  I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                    Uni is mentioned quite a bit in the book The Religion of the Etruscans, by Nancy Grummond, University of Texas Press, 2006. Seen her mentioned in other works as well so she is not exactly a newly discovered goddess. Granted many times it is in relationship to other goddesses through comparison or similarities of their purposes or roles. Figure this book was published in 2006 so well before this article's date of 2016 which suggests poor research on the part of the authors part who wrote the article I think.
                    At the very least, we're getting to learn more about this goddess than we have before, unless the book you mentioned (which is starting to sound pretty interesting to me) says roughly the same thing that these "new discoveries" said.
                    Last edited by toxicyarnglare; 30 Aug 2016, 19:40.

Comment

anything on Italian or Etruscan folklore that I know of was solely from Grimassi. a lesser extent from Monsno. but never to my knowledge of Uni.
                      I am not a big fan of Grimassi,nothing personal,but I find him more interested in "Profit" than education on things.
                      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I love this kind of stuff--cryptoreligious findings, I guess is the term. As technology makes archaeology safer, I hope we continue to discover more of the gods that time buried.
                        Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

For anyone interested in Etruscan religion, these are the four books I recommend:

Etruscan Life and Afterlife: A Handbook of Etruscan Studies edited by Larissa Bonfante (several contributors, including Nancy TdeG)
                          Etruscan Myth, Sacred History, and Legend by Nancy Thompson de Grummond
                          The Religion of the Etruscans also by Nancy Thompson de Grummond
                          Etruscan Civilization: A Cultural History by Sybille Haynes (less about religion, more for the cultural context of that religion)

Also, possibly of interest is a book called The Divine Liver by Rev. Skip Ellison (an ADF member), about the practice of haruspicy as practiced by the Etruscans and Romans.
                          Last edited by thalassa; 31 Aug 2016, 04:01.
                          sigpic

Comment

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                            I am not a big fan of Grimassi,nothing personal,but I find him more interested in "Profit" than education on things.
                            He's one that tries or tried to tie everything and anything remotely connected to Italy and its history to Stregheria. Which I think made him a hero for a lot of budding new agey stregherian's but really removed any consideration his works might have had for fringe groups looking at Italian influenced practices. The fact it has little to not actual connection to actual Italian practice didn't matter. I noticed some of his works have been republished and now have dropped the Strega title and simply go with Italian Witchcraft.
                            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
                            X