Modern day pagan temple within Thessaloniki, Macedonia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modern day pagan temple within Thessaloniki, Macedonia

Ritual_at_Thessaloniki_Hellen_temple.jpgsmall4-ceb9ceb1cebdcebfcf85ceb1cf81ceb9cebfcf85-2008_-cebdceb1cebfcf83-ceb1cf81ceb9cf83cf84cebfc.jpg

Re: Modern day pagan temple within Thessaloniki, Macedonia

that's pretty neat. I've never seen a temple like that outside of a history book, let alone one where there are active practitioners . Then again I live in a small city in Indiana, USA, so its not like I would easily lol.

Are there any pictures of the inside?
    hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
      that's pretty neat. I've never seen a temple like that outside of a history book, let alone one where there are active practitioners . Then again I live in a small city in Indiana, USA, so its not like I would easily lol.

Are there any pictures of the inside?
      I'm not sure if there is any pictures of the inside or not. I'll check around.

I am going to guess that there isn't because in such temples it is literally described as the god's dwelling place which has a meaning of deep upheld sacredness.

- - - Updated - - -

Labrys-prometheia-51.jpg800px-Hellen_ritual_(2).jpgSome more pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by Archimedes View Post

I am going to guess that there isn't because in such temples it is literally described as the god's dwelling place which has a meaning of deep upheld sacredness.
        Ah, of course. That makes sense.

They seem to have quite the community there.

Comment

It's an interesting series of pictures for sure. I do find it interesting there isn't a gorgon on the pediment or facing considering it was often used as a means of frightening away negative beings or energy. Of course that might just be reflective of the series of temples / shrines and sanctuaries I've seen so not universal in nature.

Still it is an interesting temple structure and supporters.
          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Ah, of course. That makes sense.

They seem to have quite the community there.
            There are only a couple of pictures I could find that show the inside of the temple.

epsilon-04-3.jpgsmall4-ceb9ceb1cebdcebfcf85ceb1cf81ceb9cebfcf85-2008_-cebdceb1cebfcf83-ceb1cf81ceb9cf83cf84cebfc.jpg

Comment

More pictures of the temple and surrounding area. From what I can gather it is a temple not so much devoted to any particular god but instead to all the Olympic gods themselves.

smallbweb.jpgTemple backside.jpgsmallimgp2951web.jpgsmall4-ceb9ceb1cebdcebfcf85ceb1cf81ceb9cebfcf85-2008_-cebdceb1cebfcf83-ceb1cf81ceb9cf83cf84cebfc.jpgsmall4-ceb9ceb1cebdcebfcf85ceb1cf81ceb9cebfcf85-2008_-cebdceb1cebfcf83-ceb1cf81ceb9cf83cf84cebfc.jpg

Comment

There are only a couple of pictures I could find that show the inside of the temple.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1800[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1801[/ATTACH]
                I would suspect you'd find some of the outer court but I imagine the inner sanctum or sacred area would truly be off limits to photo's and such. Especially the sanctum where the temple god / goddess would be enshrined if it is based upon archaic practices.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                  I would suspect you'd find some of the outer court but I imagine the inner sanctum or sacred area would truly be off limits to photo's and such. Especially the sanctum where the temple god / goddess would be enshrined if it is based upon archaic practices.
                  I suspected as much also. The temple itself is described as being devoted to the Olympian gods themselves.

Comment

I suspected as much also. The temple itself is described as being devoted to the Olympian gods themselves.
                    Makes one wonder who is the residing god / goddess then doesn't it? While the whole of the temple is dedicated to the entire pantheon it seems strange the inner sanctum would be all vice one main god / goddess. I wonder if there are atriums off the main sanctum for each of the twelve? Seems that would be the only way to dedicate it to the entire pantheon I think.

Still it is a step in the right direction for a practice based upon the Olympian's and probably recon in many aspects I would suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                      Makes one wonder who is the residing god / goddess then doesn't it? While the whole of the temple is dedicated to the entire pantheon it seems strange the inner sanctum would be all vice one main god / goddess. I wonder if there are atriums off the main sanctum for each of the twelve? Seems that would be the only way to dedicate it to the entire pantheon I think.

Still it is a step in the right direction for a practice based upon the Olympian's and probably recon in many aspects I would suppose.
                      I would like to make a pilgrimage there at some point, although residing here in Minnesota of the United States it is a long distance away from Thessaloniki, Macedonia.

I also am curious as to what the inside of the temple looks like but I understand out of respect for the sacredness of worship their reasoning for not posting any more pictures.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the YSEE funded the temple and dedicated it to all the Olympians. Honestly, I don't care much for it. It's nice that a physical temple exists, but I personally put more importance on places like Delphi or Mt Kithairon.
                        Last edited by Claude; 22 Jun 2013, 22:27.

Comment

I will almost guarantee that if there was a well known pagan temple anywhere in the US, it would only last about six months before someone decides to be an arson. If there is one and I'm proven wrong... that's pretty awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1798[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1799[/ATTACH]Some more pictures.
                          One thing I caught on almost right away is that most people in the second photo are slumping their shoulders.

Comment

Originally posted by Claude View Post
                            I'm pretty sure the YSEE funded the temple and dedicated it to all the Olympians. Honestly, I don't care much for it. It's nice that a physical temple exists, but I personally put more importance on places like Delphi or Mt Kithairon.
                            Yes, the YSEE did fund it.

I think the construction of temples and sacred places aesthetically to be a very important step in revivalism so I must respectfully disagree with your opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Directed towards Toxic,

I actually have ambitions of organizing large groups of pagans in the United States where I would like to see grand temple construction projects. There is a reconstructed Parthenon in Tennessee somewhere I seem to remember.

- - - Updated - - -

I am not sure what you meant with the slumping shoulders comment.

Comment

Yes, the YSEE did fund it.

I think the construction of temples and sacred places aesthetically to be a very important step in revivalism so I must respectfully disagree with your opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Directed towards Toxic,

I actually have ambitions of organizing large groups of pagans in the United States where I would like to see grand temple construction projects. There is a reconstructed Parthenon in Tennessee somewhere I seem to remember.

- - - Updated - - -

I am not sure what you meant with the slumping shoulders comment.
                              Official website of the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County.

yup!

Comment

Working...
                              X