This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coming out of the Broom Closet

I am usually pretty open about my path,at least around close Family. They know my beliefs,and it isn't a big deal. I seldom talk about it around strangers,because I have had BAD reactions from strangers from time to time. Some people would start crossing themselves,reciting prayers,Looking at me strange. That's when you know,its time to leave.(before the pitchforks come out)
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

My mother knows. She thinks it's weird, but doesn't really care all that much. My brother probably has an idea; we don't really discuss religion. Most, if not all, of my friends know. Talking about it with my friends has proved very interesting; I've learned a lot about them that I didn't know, and I've learned some about myself too through their observations. My extended family is very Catholic, so I'm not out to them. And quite frankly, I don't care if they ever find out. I'm not that close to them for a lot of reasons.
      Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

A few friends know vaguely about my religious beliefs, but my family don't. They're aware I'm interested in Paganism but I'm pretty sure that's as far as they think it goes. None of my family are Christian, they're all atheists. Religion is seen as something to be laughed at in my family. I will have to approach the subject at some point, but I'm not sure when... or how to go about it.

Comment

I've let my mom know and that turned out alright. She seems to be a lot more accepting of things that aren't necessarily physically apparent. I haven't told my Dad much though. He knows that I believe something radically different than what I used to but I don't think he's strong enough right now to delve into that portion of my life.
          Most of my friends don't know the extent of how true I am with what I believe. I'm not joking when I say I believe whole-heartedly in souls, love being the purpose of life, my responsibility being that of a God. I have the power to change the world and with that power comes responsibility to do my utmost to change it for the better.....no I don't think any of them get that yet. It's partly why I'm on this site as well as stretching out socially. I need to find more people to fit in my life that understand this way of life. That understand spirituality as more than just an ancient confusion for the complexities of the mind. It's what I've been fed my entire life. Science can explain everything....Follow your logic and mind......Work through your emotions.....but what ever became of who we are? Our souls, our spirit?

Well there's my rant. Hopefully I'll find some kindred spirits here and make some friends.

Comment

My mother is a very strong believer in people choosing their own religious paths. She basically told me that as long as I'm not harming myself or anyone else, anything is okay with her. She doesn't know that I officially consider myself Pagan, but she knows I'm certainly not Christian. The more I've talked to her about it, the more I really she isn't really either. My brother and sister know, and I don't feel the need to tell the rest of my family. Most of my friends are aware too. Coming out of the broom closet just makes the most sense to me, when I'm close to people. But I don't advertise it...

Comment

I recently came out as non-Christian but haven't given any real info on my current practice. I am try to put up an altar in the kitchen, I am still debating where/what to put on it. That will kinda put me out to anyone who comes over.

Comment

My boyfriend knows that I have some "strange" views on things and he freaks out about a pentacle so I am guessing when I put up an alter he might ask questions. The thing is I know that he wants me to hide this from his family and I am not ok with that. How does one approach this topic without a fight?

Comment

Wow, I can't believe I've never replied to this thread. Maybe I did on the 'old' PF, but not here.

I'm one of those people who never had to come out of a broom closet because I was never exactly in one (maybe that's why I never replied, lol).

For me, it wasn't a matter of changing religions or living in Christian households & having to hide anything. It was more of a realization that what I was and what I was doing spiritually had a name.

I do want to say that all of you who have either come out or been outed that even though I will never completely understand some of the experiences you have gone through, you are all incredibly brave and I appreciate the effort and struggle you've gone through to be yourselves.
                  The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Coming out about your religion

Some of you may not have a problem considering your friends and family are very open-minded and accepting, or your friends and family have the same beliefs.
                    But for others, the people around you can be very ignorant or unaccepting. It can be difficult to come out about your beliefs.

I would just like to hear your experiences with coming out to the people around you, whether it was good or bad.

For me personally, I've only let a small handful of people know that I'm Pagan, and I trust those people with my heart. Two of my best friends, my boyfriend, and my mother. My two best friends simply wanted to know more about Paganism and why I chose to go down that road. My mother was worried at first because she thought all Pagans did weird things like orgies and sacrifices and devil worshiping and brain washing lol. After explaining to her the core beliefs and my own beliefs, she calmed down and quickly accepted my new beliefs. I knew it wouldn't be difficult to explain knowing that she's Agnostic.

There are other people in my life that I'm weary to tell though. Like my grandmother and male best friend who are hardcore Christians. They definitely believe in Pagans and Witches but don't know what it's all about. They believe that Pagans are deceived by the devil. So no matter how I try to explain it, I'm sure they will retaliate with, "The devil has fooled you". I have a great relationship with my grandmother and male best friend besides our religious disagreements, but unless they flat out ask me, I'm not going to tell them.

Comment

Re: Coming out about your religion

My coming out was funny because it didn't really happen. Everyone figured I became Pagan in high school (far from the case) and it's been fun explaining I'm not Wiccan nor is it a phase. I think they finally get it...

My family was fine with it until they learned rituals are involved. It seemed to make them pissy and I couldn't tell why. My father claimed one thing or another, but really he's one of those atheists who think everyone's out to convert him (no one in my family has ever tried) so he tries to prevent anyone from practicing (seriously, he tried to ban my mom and I from church). My mother's mixed because she has New Age tendencies anyway but she was raised Southern Baptist. The dissonance gets interesting. I won't forget when she lectured me about how bad magic was but proceeded to give me candles and instructed me on how to use them. She's a bit better about my rituals since I've combined it with arts and crafts.

There's other issues with her, but it's mostly she's clearly curious about what I believe and goes about asking in funny ways. Sometimes she asks directly, but mostly she peeks in. OK, she's stopped that since I moved my shrine where she could see and I didn't have my back to her, but there's a thread somewhere about that saga.
                      my etsy store
                      My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                      surrounded by plush, downy things,
                      ill prepared, but willing,
                      to descend."

Comment

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
                        My father claimed one thing or another, but really he's one of those atheists who think everyone's out to convert him (no one in my family has ever tried) so he tries to prevent anyone from practicing (seriously, he tried to ban my mom and I from church). My mother's mixed because she has New Age tendencies anyway but she was raised Southern Baptist. The dissonance gets interesting. I won't forget when she lectured me about how bad magic was but proceeded to give me candles and instructed me on how to use them. She's a bit better about my rituals since I've combined it with arts and crafts.

There's other issues with her, but it's mostly she's clearly curious about what I believe and goes about asking in funny ways. Sometimes she asks directly, but mostly she peeks in. OK, she's stopped that since I moved my shrine where she could see and I didn't have my back to her, but there's a thread somewhere about that saga.
                        Oh, your father reminds me... My mom's boyfriend is Atheist. A long time ago, before we were about to move in with him, she told me it was okay that I was a Christian, but that I shouldn't start preaching to him. I totally understood. But when I told my mom I was a Pagan, she told me to not even let Chris (her bf) know at all. I have a feeling he would ridicule me and make me feel stupid.

That's silly about your mom though haha. It seems a bit annoying, but at least she's not a hardcore Christan like my grandmother. I only told my mom because I didn't want to be all "sneaky" behind her back. I didn't want to run around her back so that she doesn't hear me pray and do spellwork, or not see me preform rituals. That just creates stress.

I would be interested in reading that thread if it's not too much trouble for you to find

Comment

Originally posted by DeadJellyfish View Post
                          Oh, your father reminds me... My mom's boyfriend is Atheist. A long time ago, before we were about to move in with him, she told me it was okay that I was a Christian, but that I shouldn't start preaching to him. I totally understood. But when I told my mom I was a Pagan, she told me to not even let Chris (her bf) know at all. I have a feeling he would ridicule me and make me feel stupid.
                          I got that at work. I suppose it's the price I pay for stupidly answering those questions at my job.

That's silly about your mom though haha. It seems a bit annoying, but at least she's not a hardcore Christan like my grandmother. I only told my mom because I didn't want to be all "sneaky" behind her back. I didn't want to run around her back so that she doesn't hear me pray and do spellwork, or not see me preform rituals. That just creates stress.
                          There's an interesting story behind that. I won't share it right now because it has mostly to do with family folklore and everyone will think I'm totally insane for even sharing it. I think that's the only reason she gives me leeway.

I would be interested in reading that thread if it's not too much trouble for you to find
                          It took me a bit to find, but here you go.
                          my etsy store
                          My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                          surrounded by plush, downy things,
                          ill prepared, but willing,
                          to descend."

Comment

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
                            There's an interesting story behind that. I won't share it right now because it has mostly to do with family folklore and everyone will think I'm totally insane for even sharing it. I think that's the only reason she gives me leeway.

It took me a bit to find, but here you go.
                            I would love to hear about it though. My best friend and her entire family are very superstitious even though the majority of them are Christians. They are very strict about certain superstitions, like never saying "goodbye" an not leaving your purse on the floor. These strict rules applied after actual consequences happened for not following the superstition. So I wouldn't find any family folklore insane, but rather interesting. You have me hooked and I would love to hear the folklore if you feel like privately messaging me. If you don't feel comfortable though I understand.

And thanks for the link! I read it.

Comment

The thing with coming out is you never stop doing it, there's always someone new who is either curious about your religion or that you feel a need to divulge your religion to, for whatever reason. As an obscure minority it's always somewhat awkward because you constantly have to explain your religion.

Comment

I grew up (many years ago) in a family of witches so I suppose you could say that our broom cupboard was always full. But it was not something we spoke about to others. To outsiders, my family seemed (almost) ordinary, would say that witches didn't exist and it was all a load of hooey.

So I've always been rather cautious - I don't feel a need to tell my neighbours what I believe in. I certainly don't want to know what they believe in either.

But I do believe in tolerance. At this weekend's witchfest international in London (Croydon) there wasn't much by way of protests, although one woman was still standing out in the drizzle at 6pm with a placard and singing hymns. I would never dream of doing something like that outside wherever she meets for worship or a festival.

I have no wish to shine a torch into another person's soul.
                                www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Working...
                                X