This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pets chit chat thread

they are acting like hellions today!!!!!!!
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

I'm at my wits end with our husky. She's coming up on a year old and she's still not house trained. She's not even partially house trained. And her energy is more than I think I can handle. I take her to the dog park. For as long as 3 hours. I watch her close. She doesn't squat once. As soon as we walk in the door what does she do? I say no take her out wait as long as I can. Nothing. We don't have a fenced yard and she keeps chewing through her collars or figuring out how yo get them off. I can't even find her tags anymore cause I have no idea where the last one went.

I feel terrible for thinking about rehoming her but I have a seven month old about to start walking and I can't put her on the floor for fear of her getting into dog waste.my house stinks. Its embarrassing. And I don't know what to do with her anymore.

I love her to death and she gets along with the baby great but damn. I just want a clean house.
      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
      -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
        I'm at my wits end with our husky. She's coming up on a year old and she's still not house trained. She's not even partially house trained. And her energy is more than I think I can handle. I take her to the dog park. For as long as 3 hours. I watch her close. She doesn't squat once. As soon as we walk in the door what does she do? I say no take her out wait as long as I can. Nothing. We don't have a fenced yard and she keeps chewing through her collars or figuring out how yo get them off. I can't even find her tags anymore cause I have no idea where the last one went.

I feel terrible for thinking about rehoming her but I have a seven month old about to start walking and I can't put her on the floor for fear of her getting into dog waste.my house stinks. Its embarrassing. And I don't know what to do with her anymore.

I love her to death and she gets along with the baby great but damn. I just want a clean house.
        I can give you toilet training advice if you'd like. But at this age it will be more difficult than with a young puppy. If you want me to run you through the toilet training advice, just let me know where she has accidents in the house, how long is she left alone, what you clean it up with, and as many gory details as you can think of.

Rehoming is NEVER an option you should feel guilty about. No-one wants to admit that they have to rehome, and no-one likes the thought of not knowing where they will go, but the reality is that if you are thinking it, there's a reason. You're not happy. Which means that there's a high likelihood that she's not happy. Ongoing behavioural problems are often a result of anxiety or a feeling of insecurity (on the dog's part). What it boils down to is that if she's not a good fit in your household then she may be better off in another household.

Comment

I got my parrot!

Here's a little pic I made of all the birdies together...

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
            I got my parrot!

Here's a little pic I made of all the birdies together...

They're beautiful! My African Grey is 25 years old now, unbelievable how fast time goes by.
            sigpic
            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
              I can give you toilet training advice if you'd like. But at this age it will be more difficult than with a young puppy. If you want me to run you through the toilet training advice, just let me know where she has accidents in the house, how long is she left alone, what you clean it up with, and as many gory details as you can think of.

Rehoming is NEVER an option you should feel guilty about. No-one wants to admit that they have to rehome, and no-one likes the thought of not knowing where they will go, but the reality is that if you are thinking it, there's a reason. You're not happy. Which means that there's a high likelihood that she's not happy. Ongoing behavioural problems are often a result of anxiety or a feeling of insecurity (on the dog's part). What it boils down to is that if she's not a good fit in your household then she may be better off in another household.
              Honestly Rae'ya, it'd be easier to tell you where they don't go. We have three dogs right now (the brother-in-law moved in with his husky, ours brother). Two of the three are more or less house trained. But they don't bother when she's going everywhere. If I let them out the door, they'll go outside, but if she's going inside, they aren't going to wait. I know she can wait because, as said, I've had her at the dog park for hours and she hasn't gone, second she comes inside here she goes. It's like she somehow formed the idea that going inside was good. I don't know where she got this, but it's been that way since day one. I've seen her pee outside maybe five times since last... October? I think it was October. We were doing a pretty good job of cleaning it all up. We have hardwood floor so it's pretty easy compared to carpet. Mop it up, rinse out the water. Pinesol or something similar. I haven't had any luck with any of the advertised cleaners I can get at Petco etc. So I'm down to using pinesol or a similar cleaner simply because it's more affordable.

I haven't been able to take her out period for the last week now because she chewed through another collar and I simply don't have the money to replace it yet again for her to chew through in a few days. We got one of those metal choker types and put a stop on it so it wouldn't actually go tight enough to choke her and she managed to get that off. Same with a harness. I just don't get it. I literally had to put about fifty carbineers on her cage to make sure she couldn't escape it and now she's opening the fridge...

We discovered a few weeks ago that they were going down into the basement and pooping. I missed it for several days because I only go down once a week to do laundry and it was in an area I really don't check out often. So now that part of the basement needs scrubbed even after all the scrubbing I've already done cause there are still stains on the floor. I put a baby gate at the top of the stairs. She only tried jumping over it once... We have no doors between the living area, kitchen, and basement so they have free roam if they're out, only they can't get to the basement now. How long she's in her cage during the day depends. Anywhere from a couple hours to eight, though the eights only happen once or twice a week.

On top of this, the BIL dog has had diarrhea because his folks bought the food for it and they bought the cheapest crap they could find and we don't have the money right this minute to get him decent food. He's starting to get thin from it and I really don't like that but I can't really do anything about it. I can't make the BIL give him up, he'd go on the street before he rehomed that dog, and we can't let that happen... It's a mess. But at least his dog will go outside if given the opportunity and encouragement. But my house really stinks thanks to his midnight deliveries. It smells like something's burning. GRRRRRRR.

Then there's the energy thing. I knew huskies were energetic. But I swear she's manic. There are times she runs back and forth like mad, like a lightening bolt pacing. I'm sure there's some anxiety in there but again, no money. When we got her we were doing pretty damn good financially, and I didn't see any reason that would change. I knew we were having a baby, but we had plenty of excess even after puppy vet bills (and I'm talking 300-400 a month for awhile there.) Now I have a new job. I love it. It's frigging awesome, but it doesn't pay as much. That's the compromise I took to have a job that didn't leave me emotionally drained constantly. So now I don't have the money to keep needlessly replacing collars or to get anxiety meds, or super special odor eliminating cleaners. Rawr. And the manic? It happens even after taking her to the dog park. We'll be back from her literally running for an hour straight and she'll still be darting around the house. (An hour is the average, sometimes as much as three, sometime a little less.)
              We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
              It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
              Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.

Comment

Wow, that's rough. I don't really have advice, since my dogs only have accidents when they're sick...but if its any consolation I think you might be a saint for putting up with it this long. I could not deal and that dog would have needed a new home long ago.

I have a lot of pet tolerance...I have birds and they are needy and crazy but that's a far cry for dog poop everywhere.

Comment

Shahaku... I'll get back to this when I'm on an actual computer. I have lot's of advice for this and I need a keyboard!

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                    Shahaku... I'll get back to this when I'm on an actual computer. I have lot's of advice for this and I need a keyboard!
                    Would love to hear it. Lol. Just saw this. Don't know how I missed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
                      Would love to hear it. Lol. Just saw this. Don't know how I missed it.
                      Sorry, I've been AWOL for a bit and never got back to this... and I honestly don't have much energy right now so here's the quick version.

On seconds thoughts, I've PM'd you. This is all specific to your situation and not particularly relevant to the entire Chit Chat Thread. So I've PMd it to you instead.

Comment

Deciding to give dog adoption another shot, but this time with an adult doggy.

Meet Jasper. It's been a few days, and so far...zero complaints. He doesn't even bark. We've got to work on some training, but everything is manageable.
                        Attached Files

Mostly art.

Comment

What a pretty boy...husky shepard mix?

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post

Meet Jasper. It's been a few days, and so far...zero complaints. He doesn't even bark. We've got to work on some training, but everything is manageable.
                            He. Is. Beautiful! !!!!!
                            ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                            Seen the desert and the birds
                            You cut your hair short
                            Like a shush to an insult
                            The world had been yelling
                            Since the day you were born
                            Revolting with anger
                            While it smiled like it was cute
                            That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Aww he's beautiful. Good luck... I think this guy will fit into your family much better!

Comment

Very pretty dog!

So on our side, we've decided to rehome Koda. I put up a pretty detailed ad on craigslist, noting the issues we've had with her and that they'll have to pay a fee (which I plan to give to a shelter) and they'll have to agree to let us check up on her regularly for the first year. I want to be sure she goes to a good home. Crossing my fingers that it works out and that the fee and contract weed out the bad apples.

Comment

Working...
                                X