X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pets chit chat thread

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
    We might be interested in a pup, but I'm leaning toward adopting an animal that's around a year old. Either way, it will be adoption, not buying from a breeder.
    Adoption. Got it. In that case you might want to research several breeds and how they intermingle with each other since I rarely find purebreds in the shelters in my state.
    No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Yeah. I know a lot of the mixes are along the lines of lab mixed with newfie, in which case we'd really have to get to know them and they're temperment. I have found a few purebred dogs across the US, but we'd have to go quite a ways. One option is one of the newfie rescues that specialize with them, but I'm sure we'd have to be on a wait list. Not that that's not a bad thing. It'll be awhile anyway. And recovery time once the ones we have go.
      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
      -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
        LIFE EXPECTANCY. Here's the real downer -- like most giant breeds, you're lucky if you get them to 10. I know that there are some heart valve problems with some of them too, which takes them at an early age. We fed ours a pretty healthy diet of glucosamine and chondroitin to keep their joints as healthy as possible since, like R said, they have hip problems and all kinds of other problems. I am obviously not a vet so I'd wait for her input on whether or not giving them G&C was helpful or even worthwhile, but we felt like we were trying to be proactive and keep them greased up.
        It's absolutely a good idea to give any dog who's expected to have joint problems a glucosamine and chondroitin supplement. I would give ANY giant breed dog a supplement as a standard. Also ANY dog or cat who has had joint surgery, any dog who has luxating patellas, and any dog or cat who has crazy anatomy (like the ones with the splayed out feet, or super bowlegged hind legs). If you follow the correct dosing (and cats need a special product, you CAN NOT use human or dog supplements for cats!), you can't do any harm giving it. There's no studies to show us whether it prevents issues or not, but the few studies we have on dogs that are already arthritic tell us that it can help in some cases. It wont make much of a difference to whether or not HD or ED actually develops, because that's an anatomical thing that is independent of the health of the joint capsule (which is what the G+C is acting on), but it should make the joint more resilient and lessen the effects of the damage to the joint.

I use a G+C supplement for my arthritic cat. Also for my arthritic husband, when he remembers to take it.

We might be interested in a pup, but I'm leaning toward adopting an animal that's around a year old. Either way, it will be adoption, not buying from a breeder.
        Adoption is a great idea, but remember that when you get a cross breed, there's a higher risk that it will be atypical for BOTH breeds. You have no way to predict how the genetic predispositions of each breed will come through... so you can't truly predict what medical issues it might have, or what personality type it might be.

You also can't trust most rescue shelters to be upfront with you about it's health and personality. A big shelter like the ASPCA an similar should have good programs to screen those things (the RSPCA here does), but the smaller shelters vary. I've seen awesome rescue groups who are very honest and responsible, but I know far more that are completely dodgy and only care about rehoming the dog wherever they can.

So just keep your wits about you and don't assume that every shelter is like the one you worked at... make sure you get a vet check at your own vet in the first few days of getting it, irrespective of whether they give you a vet check certificate... and make sure you have the ability to return it if it doesn't fit into your family (and don't feel guilty about that... keeping a dog who doesn't fit your family is NOT doing it any favors, it's just denying it the chance to find a family where it does fit in).

Adoption and rescue is a double edged sword. If I ever get a dog, I will adopt one. 100%. But I've see SOOOO many people get duped by rescue centres, and end up with dogs that have major behavioural issues, or major dental disease, or chronic skin allergies, or a combination of things that they weren't told about. I've also seen plenty of success stories. I'm absolutely not against adoption and I don't want to put anyone off adopting an animal. I just need to warn you to keep your wits about adoption and assume nothing.

Comment

Yeah, we're prepared. I have strict requirements that animals fit in with our family. We have a child. We have cats. We'll likely almost always have more than one dog. I don't want a puppy, because I want to have an idea of its adult temperment when we get it. I'm not going through that again. Any dog we get, I'm planning to demand a one week trial period, in which we can bring the dog back and try out a different one or get a refund if they don't fit in with our family.
          We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
          It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
          Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.

Comment

Yeah, we're prepared. I have strict requirements that animals fit in with our family. We have a child. We have cats. We'll likely almost always have more than one dog. I don't want a puppy, because I want to have an idea of its adult temperment when we get it. I'm not going through that again. Any dog we get, I'm planning to demand a one week trial period, in which we can bring the dog back and try out a different one or get a refund if they don't fit in with our family.
            I don't know if it's like this with every shelter, but the one I work with has the pet meet your family and other pets, in case of aggression/allergies/whatever. You can't just pick a dog and take it home the same day, because they need to check you out as well.
            Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

That's a good plan. Unfortunately you guys have learned the hard way, but it means that you are unlikely to end up in trouble.

Sometimes what I talk about getting trials and being able to take the dog back if it doesn't work, I feel like people are gonna think that I'm treating them like a pair of pants that you're exchanging because you don't like the way your butt looks in them. But it's not about that at all. It's like roommates. If you're looking for a roommate, you don't pick one based on what race they are or how they look. You pick them on personality and whether you can all live together harmoniously. If it doesn't work out, you ask them to leave, or you move. Dogs are the same. If it doesn't work out, they are actually better off in another home. Forcing them to live in a home that they are not happy is not in their best interests, or yours.

Sorry... I think you and I have had this conversation before. I'll shut up now

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
              I don't know if it's like this with every shelter, but the one I work with has the pet meet your family and other pets, in case of aggression/allergies/whatever. You can't just pick a dog and take it home the same day, because they need to check you out as well.
              This is the way all shelters should do it. The RSPCA and AWL here do it this way, and it normally works out great. The little rescue places often don't though. We have several rescue places here in South Australia that frankly, I wish could be shut down. And I've heard from veterinary staff in the US that there are shelters and rescue places over there who are similar. And I can tell you some horror stories from Torey's family adopting dogs from their local shelter in Louisiana.

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
                One shelter around here I got a dog from, I walked in, filled out a form, paid twenty bucks, and walked out with a dog. No verifying reference, we only met him for about 5 minutes, and that was it. We have a few really good shelters that will actually deny unsuitable owners, but most of them are specialty ones for animals with long term issues. FIV cats, dogs with health issues, etc.

Comment

The one I got my adorable Boxer/Beagle from made us answer questions about fencing and such, but there weren't any deterrents against just flat out lying, so I doubt it was very effective.

Comment

I have heard of shelters that require the person spend about 2 weeks socializing with the animal at the shelter to determine the comparability of the person and the animal. This practice has cut way down on people returning the animal because of problems after they get the animal home. Mainly to be sure the adoption is a good fit.
                    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Herbert View Post
                      The one I got my adorable Boxer/Beagle from made us answer questions about fencing and such, but there weren't any deterrents against just flat out lying, so I doubt it was very effective.
                      I believe (not 100% here) that my shelter does a home visit, so that cuts down on ability to just lie.
                      Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

The place where I got Buddy grilled me and observed me very closely. As it should be.
                        sigpic
                        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

My daughter got her dachshund from a dachshund rescue society.

They were way, way picky - she had to have several home visits, put up baby gates, and make repairs to fencing before they would let her have the dog.

It's easier to have a baby...

On the other hand, at the local humane society, the dog just jumps in the car.
                          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Took my girl to a new vet. Well, not new new, but new to her. We've taken our cats to this clinic before, just not our dog.

She's an older girl. I took her in because she's been breathing loudly for a while now. I wasn't sure if this was a behavioral or physiological issue since she only seems to do it when I'm around (according to hubby). I was expecting and even asking for x-rays of her upper respiratory system and they took some blood for lab work. Waiting for those results, still. But Doc said it could also be laryngeal paralysis, which is pretty common in Labrador breeds. My girl is a blue heeler mix but we're not sure what with; the humane society that we got her from didn't know either. And she's showing signs of arthritis in her hind quarters. Poor baby.
                            �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                            ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                            Sneak Attack
                            Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Well, all the tests came back with a clean bill of health. Just the usual mild senior dog stuff. Gonna have them do the visualization of her larynx when she goes back for a dental cleaning on the 26th.
                              Babygirl's got some supplements that should help her feel better overall.
                              �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                              ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                              Sneak Attack
                              Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                                Well, all the tests came back with a clean bill of health. Just the usual mild senior dog stuff. Gonna have them do the visualization of her larynx when she goes back for a dental cleaning on the 26th.
                                Babygirl's got some supplements that should help her feel better overall.
                                Ask them to do an xray of her throat area while she's under, if you can afford it. They should be able to tell from that if she has tracheal collapse, and can tell a bit about laryngeal paralysis too.

I'm glad her bloods came back normal. And if it's a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement then it will help with her arthritis.

Comment

Working...
                                X