X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pets chit chat thread

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
    Wondering if Whil my hedgehog is about to die in my arms while I type this. She was diagnosed with WHS at the end of September. I check on her everyday and found her in a corner of her cage not under her heat lamp or blanket breathing very shallowly. I picked her up and shes hasn't actually "woken" up yet. I know its coming I just wish KP was home to say bye to her... she is after all his. So please positive thoughts, and ignore me while I bawl in the corner.
    I'm sorry about your hedgie.
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
      I'm sorry about your hedgie.
      Thank you, I took her to the vet today, gave us some steroids and told me to give her wet cat food. I'm not sure the steroid will help but again I don't want her to suffer. she ate a ton of food and drank a lot of water so I think that's good but again one day at a time.
      "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

20161031_184157.jpg

Here's another important update in my life... check out Hammond!!!

20161031_184142.jpg

His tank is bitchin, not that I can get anything to live or grow cos he just eats it.

But yeah, appears I was away so long my turtle thread got CATACOMBED. So turtle pics!!
        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
        Seen the desert and the birds
        You cut your hair short
        Like a shush to an insult
        The world had been yelling
        Since the day you were born
        Revolting with anger
        While it smiled like it was cute
        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Note: We already scheduled an appointment for this but the earliest they had available - as of a last Thursday - was December 3rd.

One of our cats has this thing where her cheek will swell up to about a ping pong ball size (I have pictures if you need to see). We think it could be a plugged up gland. It doesn't feel warmer than the rest of her face, doesn't appear to hurt when I touch it (gently) as she doesn't flinch or move away, and she's still eating and drinking water like usual. We haven't been able to look in her mouth to see if she has any infection in the gums. However, since she doesn't flinch away when I touch the outside of the cheek, that makes me think it's not an infection.

It seems to develop pretty quickly - over the course of a few hours - but takes several days to get better. We noticed it for the first time about a week and a half ago. It went away. A few days later, it came back then went away (that's when we made the appointment). Then yesterday, her cheek is all swollen again. This time it looks like she scratched it because there's a scab in the middle of it. The scratching appears to be new behavior, but she seems to have left it alone for the last day or so and there's no pus.

My question is, should we be alarmed at this point? We're considering taking her to an urgent care vet if this doesn't stop happening. I think the 3rd is too long out but maybe I'm just being too paranoid?
          �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
          ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
          Sneak Attack
          Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
            Note: We already scheduled an appointment for this but the earliest they had available - as of a last Thursday - was December 3rd.

One of our cats has this thing where her cheek will swell up to about a ping pong ball size (I have pictures if you need to see). We think it could be a plugged up gland. It doesn't feel warmer than the rest of her face, doesn't appear to hurt when I touch it (gently) as she doesn't flinch or move away, and she's still eating and drinking water like usual. We haven't been able to look in her mouth to see if she has any infection in the gums. However, since she doesn't flinch away when I touch the outside of the cheek, that makes me think it's not an infection.

It seems to develop pretty quickly - over the course of a few hours - but takes several days to get better. We noticed it for the first time about a week and a half ago. It went away. A few days later, it came back then went away (that's when we made the appointment). Then yesterday, her cheek is all swollen again. This time it looks like she scratched it because there's a scab in the middle of it. The scratching appears to be new behavior, but she seems to have left it alone for the last day or so and there's no pus.

My question is, should we be alarmed at this point? We're considering taking her to an urgent care vet if this doesn't stop happening. I think the 3rd is too long out but maybe I'm just being too paranoid?
            It could be a few things, Juni. Abcess from a bite/scratch/foreign body. Tooth root abcess. Insect sting. Blocked salivary gland. Something stuck in her mouth. Something weird. If it goes down then back up it's unlikely to be a tumor, but we can't rule that out without a check up. I would try to get her in somewhere earlier than Dec 3rd, though it doesn't necessarily need to be an ER practice as that could cost more money. I don't think you need to be alarmed, but definitely get it checked out soon... you aren't being paranoid wanting this checked out before the 3rd.

Comment

Lexi ate her $40 bed. So Lexi can still sleep inside..on the kitchen floor.
              No more soft for Lexi.
              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                Lexi ate her $40 bed. So Lexi can still sleep inside..on the kitchen floor.
                No more soft for Lexi.
                Mine sleep outside when they do that.
                ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                Seen the desert and the birds
                You cut your hair short
                Like a shush to an insult
                The world had been yelling
                Since the day you were born
                Revolting with anger
                While it smiled like it was cute
                That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post

It could be a few things, Juni. Abcess from a bite/scratch/foreign body. Tooth root abcess. Insect sting. Blocked salivary gland. Something stuck in her mouth. Something weird. If it goes down then back up it's unlikely to be a tumor, but we can't rule that out without a check up. I would try to get her in somewhere earlier than Dec 3rd, though it doesn't necessarily need to be an ER practice as that could cost more money. I don't think you need to be alarmed, but definitely get it checked out soon... you aren't being paranoid wanting this checked out before the 3rd.

Thank you for the input. We're calling some other clinics in the area to see it they have any availability sooner.
                  �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                  Sneak Attack

Comment

We managed to get her in to a clinic today (this place isn't close to home at all but Hubby has been here about 13 years ago with another cat we no longer have).
                    They are 90% sure its a tooth root abscess. So, today she's getting some antibiotics, a soft cone so she can't scratch her check further, and get some of her vaccines updated.

We scheduled a dental exam/surgery for Monday where they're going to take a closer look and remove what's necessary. I'm so glad we didn't wait for the 3rd.
                    Sneak Attack

Comment

Hope all comes out OK with your cat.
                      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                        We managed to get her in to a clinic today (this place isn't close to home at all but Hubby has been here about 13 years ago with another cat we no longer have).
                        They are 90% sure its a tooth root abscess. So, today she's getting some antibiotics, a soft cone so she can't scratch her check further, and get some of her vaccines updated.

We scheduled a dental exam/surgery for Monday where they're going to take a closer look and remove what's necessary. I'm so glad we didn't wait for the 3rd.
                        Hopefully they sort her out. If it's a tooth root abcess, they should hopefully take xrays and remove the offending tooth, which will clear it all up. They should also clean up the rest of her teeth and take out any other dodgy ones before they cause problems. She'll feel much better afterwards

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post

Hopefully they sort her out. If it's a tooth root abcess, they should hopefully take xrays and remove the offending tooth, which will clear it all up. They should also clean up the rest of her teeth and take out any other dodgy ones before they cause problems. She'll feel much better afterwards
                          Yeah, that's the plan. They actually emailed hubby a really comprehensive plan of treatment for Monday. I'm very impressed and would even consider taking our other pets there. It's just so far away.
                          Sneak Attack

Comment

Any guidance for dog carriers? Is kind of like to get one for our little dog. He can't keep up on long family walks, but we'd like to still take him with us. I've seen a lot of new dog carriers that reminds me of various baby carrier, but some of them seem like they'd be terrible for the dog. It's the slung king that I'd really like, but still, not sure if it would be ok.
                            We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                            It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                            Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                            -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Jinx is recovering quite well. She's back to being her old little shithead self. We give her some pain management stuff (liquid) for a another day or two and then will drop it to an as needed basis until her post surgery checkup next week. She appears to be eating properly and hasn't needed the cone (which, I think, made her revenge pee on the couch... I was livid, because trying to get cat urine smell out of sofa fabric and downe cover is difficult even when they're machine washable. And it still smells a little bit, which is making me paranoid that any one of these other assholes might pee on that spot again. (I love my babies but everyone knows cats are pure assholes on a good day.))

On to another question. One of my other cats is in need of a bath. The last time she got a bath, she was still a kitten. Since none of our other cats get bathed either, I have no idea how to go about this with a senior cat that still has all her teeth and claws. I've tried to coax her into the bathroom a few, but the sound of running or splashing water scares her away. I can get as far as using a wet washcloth and then towling her off (she loves the towl stage) but this doesn't seem to penetrate down to the skin. She's got very fine fur but it's a thick coat and we do brush her frequently to keep clumps to a minimum). She hates getting picked up and she also does the stinky butt thing when she gets annoyed. I don't know what it's called but I guess it's like - or the same thing - as spraying?
                              I could use some pointers. Oatmeal based shampoo and a tub big enough to have her stand in it with water? Idk... Bathing cats is an enigma wrapped in a mystery, to me.
                              Sneak Attack

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
                                Any guidance for dog carriers? Is kind of like to get one for our little dog. He can't keep up on long family walks, but we'd like to still take him with us. I've seen a lot of new dog carriers that reminds me of various baby carrier, but some of them seem like they'd be terrible for the dog. It's the slung king that I'd really like, but still, not sure if it would be ok.
                                They make dog strollers...
                                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X