Topical Remedies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topical Remedies

I don't think that we've really discussed this all that much over the years. What are some of your go-to topical remedies and if you're comfortable with sharing, for what reason did you start using them?

I think there are four main types I can think of are creams, balms, salves, and lotions.
    Lotions and Creams tend to be on the water based side of the skin hydration spectrum while balms and salves are oil based. To varying degrees anyway.
    From how I understand it, the order from most water-based to most oil-based is Lotion then Cream then Salve then Balm.

I think there are subcategories like ointments, pastes, and even sprays?

I've been hearing a lot lately about creams like Wild Yam for feminine health benefits, and Magnesium for aches and pains. I've been contemplating trying them for various reason.

�Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

This works pretty well for me - for a mosquito bite, chew a fresh basil leaf just enough to break it up a little and apply to the bite. Cover with a bandaid or something for a while, and it seems to stop the itch.
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
      This works pretty well for me - for a mosquito bite, chew a fresh basil leaf just enough to break it up a little and apply to the bite. Cover with a bandaid or something for a while, and it seems to stop the itch.
      Oooh I will definitely try that once the little buggers comes out to play, which won't be too long from now heh
      �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
      ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
      Sneak Attack
      Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Interesting. I was under the impression 'salve' and 'balm' were synonymous.

I make my own spruce pitch salve that I use in place of polysporin, on open wounds. It's also good for really dry skin in the nose (like if you're getting a lot of nosebleeds from dry air), and it helps a little with eczema. It's also dog safe, though, when my dog was still alive, he'd always try to eat it. He liked the taste, I think.

I mix some lichen with anti-bacterial properties in when I'm infusing the oil, so it's mildly antibiotic. I switch to the medical stuff for serious infections though.

I also use some MSM/THC based cream I purchased for joint pain.
        Last edited by volcaniclastic; 27 Mar 2024, 08:54.

Mostly art.

Comment

Working...
        X