This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tips for keeping warm

Some really small things can be quite helpful - like those foam things you put in your electrical outlets (they look like the faceplate, and go in right behind it. Put these in every outlet you have that is on an outside wall. You'd be surprised the drafts that come in. Also that cheap rubber stripping you affix to your doors to seal any gaps is good stuff.
    If you have a dishwasher, in the winter always open it as soon as it's done to let that rush of warm air and humidity out. Same thing with clothes dryer & stove. Cooking in a slow-cooker (crockpot) releases a tiny stream of steam out the little hole in the top, good for both heat & moisture.
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
      Some really small things can be quite helpful - like those foam things you put in your electrical outlets (they look like the faceplate, and go in right behind it. Put these in every outlet you have that is on an outside wall. You'd be surprised the drafts that come in. Also that cheap rubber stripping you affix to your doors to seal any gaps is good stuff.
      If you have a dishwasher, in the winter always open it as soon as it's done to let that rush of warm air and humidity out. Same thing with clothes dryer & stove. Cooking in a slow-cooker (crockpot) releases a tiny stream of steam out the little hole in the top, good for both heat & moisture.
      The thing about the electrics has reminded me.. our flat has large bay windows and on the floor in the alcove of the windows, there are two small metal grills. There must be cold air coming in through them, but I don't know if I can safely cover them over with a rug or something, or if they have to be there. If it is to stop the area getting damp, my kitten's paws say it isn't working, but then it could be the thick curtains that cause the condensation to collect on the windowsill..
      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
        Yes, our water is gas heated. I did suggest to JP a while ago that we start using cold water to wash our hands. In fact, I could go further and use a cream cleanser instead of tap water to remove my make-up and wash my face. We're just a bit worried about how cold the water is from the tap. being in Berlin, you probably know yourself how cold the water pipes get in Winter. I guess we could keep the sink filled so the water is room temperature. A little less hygienic, but maybe we could also get into the habit of using antibacterial hand gel. Great tip. Thanks!

Erm.. I know I SHOULD open the windows. Our bathroom window is almost always on the night lock, and in the livingroom, our window is actually a glass door, into the yard, so it is often open while Magpie plays outside. I don't think the bedroom windows have been opened even once since we moved in. I have blinds and black out curtains with me sleeping during the daytime, and these are basically always closed. When it's cold already, I just can't bring myself to open the windows.. :s
        Yeah I know what you mean...if I hadn't warped the floors, there's no way I'd be trying it.

Anyway, give the water thing a try. It can feel icy at first, but you do get used to it. I can't give you an exact savings yet (and I only started doing it in the fall, so next year will be even cheaper!), but I looked at my water meter in the bathroom and it's barely moved since I've started doing it, so I think it will make a huge difference. I also use cold water to rinse out the sink and rinse (not wash) dishes.

Another thing I do to save hot water is when I have a shower (I have baths sometimes...not the best but it's my luxury thing), I plug the drain so I can see how much water has been used, and I shut off the water when I shampoo and condition my hair.

- - - Updated - - -

Ooo I see that I didn't post this last year....

Another thing I do is that I turn the heat off (or down, if it's really cold and I think the pipes might freeze otherwise) at night, and I sleep with hot water bottles under the covers.

Comment

We try to always keep the windows open during the day time in winter as long as it isn't raining outside. Our problem is condensation because the walls of the house are almost three feet thick in places. So we also use a dehumidifier. I even have rechargeable dehumidifier eggs in the food cupboards. Dehumidifiers aren't expensive to run, and a dry house feels much warmer than a damp one.

But here's a very cheap preventative for chilblains... use embrocation on hands, feet etc the moment they start to feel cold. It restores the circulation in minutes. The old fashioned Snow-Fire is good, and so is Balmosa.
          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
            We try to always keep the windows open during the day time in winter as long as it isn't raining outside. Our problem is condensation because the walls of the house are almost three feet thick in places. So we also use a dehumidifier. I even have rechargeable dehumidifier eggs in the food cupboards. Dehumidifiers aren't expensive to run, and a dry house feels much warmer than a damp one.

But here's a very cheap preventative for chilblains... use embrocation on hands, feet etc the moment they start to feel cold. It restores the circulation in minutes. The old fashioned Snow-Fire is good, and so is Balmosa.
            I was going to get some of those disposable damp boxes. They are like plastic containers with silacone salts in to take some of the moisture out of the air. I never thought, but it could be the damp that makes me feel so cold even when it is meant to be 21 degrees.

That's the problem about living on this island (and much of Europe). Our buildings are just so old. It's all very nice having so much history, but do we HAVE to live in it?
            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Tips for keeping warm? Well here's a great one.
              Live in the South of the U.S.

It's 73 degrees outside right now.
              "The fire could not be tamed with the wind,
              nor the wind suppressed by the flames.
              As blending the Light with the Dark
              merely results in Grey." -Ville Friman

Comment

I was going to get some of those disposable damp boxes. They are like plastic containers with silacone salts in to take some of the moisture out of the air. I never thought, but it could be the damp that makes me feel so cold even when it is meant to be 21 degrees.

That's the problem about living on this island (and much of Europe). Our buildings are just so old. It's all very nice having so much history, but do we HAVE to live in it?
                The egg type dehumidifiers are great for cupboards and really small spaces... also they're economical because you just recharge them for a few minutes in the microwave. Damp can make you feel very cold indeed. Plus in my food cupboards it ruins my bread flour!

Comment

The egg type dehumidifiers are great for cupboards and really small spaces... also they're economical because you just recharge them for a few minutes in the microwave. Damp can make you feel very cold indeed. Plus in my food cupboards it ruins my bread flour!
                  I have exactly the opposite problem, I have a dry place, and it dries out my sinuses, and I bleed when I sneeze... The people in the lower apartment keep it so hot we have to keep the window open to let the cool in...
                  http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                  ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I'll see if I can get my hands on some then. The Internet will probably be my best bet I guess!

Comment

I'll see if I can get my hands on some then. The Internet will probably be my best bet I guess!
                      - - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
                      I have exactly the opposite problem, I have a dry place, and it dries out my sinuses, and I bleed when I sneeze... The people in the lower apartment keep it so hot we have to keep the window open to let the cool in...
                      Gosh.... hadn't thought of that, but you mean.... the people in the lower apartment can afford HEATING??? Wow

Comment

Gosh.... hadn't thought of that, but you mean.... the people in the lower apartment can afford HEATING??? Wow
                        A lot of our apartments here have free heat...Americans are pretty spoiled in the area of climate control!
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                          A lot of our apartments here have free heat...Americans are pretty spoiled in the area of climate control!
                          Aaagh! Here heat is virtually unaffordable for many people. Every winter I get chilblains (a form of frostbite really) despite thick socks, leather shoes etc. I type wearing fingerless gloves, a hat and sometimes five layers of clothing!

Comment

Aaagh! Here heat is virtually unaffordable for many people. Every winter I get chilblains (a form of frostbite really) despite thick socks, leather shoes etc. I type wearing fingerless gloves, a hat and sometimes five layers of clothing!
                            Tell me about it. I fear for the unemployed. The cost of energy has always been high here, but it has increased so much that it must be near impossible for some people to afford heat AND food. I know my mum can't afford it on the benefits she gets, but she's lucky, she has family to help her out. I can't stand to think of people out there in the same situation as my mum who have no one at all. Where do they go for help? I have promised myself that if.. no, lets say when, my mum finally finds work, I'm going to start making a regular donation to the local food bank. The poverty here is getting scary.. children sleeping in their coats because it is too cold, going to school without any food.. I need to stop watching BBC1 in the early hours...

Comment

Tell me about it. I fear for the unemployed. The cost of energy has always been high here, but it has increased so much that it must be near impossible for some people to afford heat AND food. I know my mum can't afford it on the benefits she gets, but she's lucky, she has family to help her out. I can't stand to think of people out there in the same situation as my mum who have no one at all. Where do they go for help? I have promised myself that if.. no, lets say when, my mum finally finds work, I'm going to start making a regular donation to the local food bank. The poverty here is getting scary.. children sleeping in their coats because it is too cold, going to school without any food.. I need to stop watching BBC1 in the early hours...
                              The problem is that here we have a 'ruling elite' made up of millionaires. They have no knowledge of, nor any interest in, the hardship of others.

And the reason I put quotes around 'ruling elite' is because I don't think we have a clue who is really ruling the country. The present shower don't appear to have a brain cell between them....

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                                Speak for yourself. I live in the Great White North, and pay about $3000 a year for heat. When I can afford it.

And that's with supplemental heating from a wood stove.

On the up side, cooling is free.
                                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                                X