food poll #?: soup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: food poll #?: soup

Aha! Corbin hit upon something about which we can disagree. You see, the love of soup appears to be at 100%, but is there some ingredient that cannot be tolerated, that overpowers our completely rational love of soup? For me -- tripe.

Edit -- our love of soup appears to be over 90%.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by nbdy View Post
      Aha! Corbin hit upon something about which we can disagree. You see, the love of soup appears to be at 100%, but is there some ingredient that cannot be tolerated, that overpowers our completely rational love of soup? For me -- tripe.

Edit -- our love of soup appears to be over 90%.
      I get my Pho with no tripe. I can't handle it either!
      I'd also like to add Miso soup, Mushroom soup, chicken and rice, chicken and dumplings, butternut squash. Italian wedding soup.... ok and I'm done.

Also who doesn't like soup!
      "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

I LOVE soup!

My favourite is my homemade tortellini soup - basically, a minestrone with tortellini.

Second fave would be potato and leek - mmm!

Otherwise...

Bean soup
        Cabbage soup
        Taco soup
        Pumpkin soup
        Mushroom soup
        Cheesy broccoli and cauliflower soup

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
          I love Ricky Martin with or without oregano & lime!
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

OH MY GOD I forgot about borscht. I could drown in borscht and die a happy human.

Mostly art.

Comment

I like top ramen with tapatio.

There. I said it.
              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Mmmm soup...
                http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post

There. I said it.
                  I second that!! Well the top ramen any way. I like it plain and with a friend egg on some creamy chicken.
                  "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

I'm actually not to fond of soups, to be perfectly honest. I know that I speak blasphemy, but I just really never have had a predisposition towards it. :P

Originally posted by Medusa View Post

There. I said it.
                    I eat ramen sometimes. Its cheap and fills the stomach, but it certainly is not my favourite. ^-^;

Comment

My favs are:
                      -Pumpkin/butternut squash soup. It's best when you roast the pumpkin/squash in olive oil in the oven before cooking.
                      -Thai curry soup (chicken soup with coconut milk and thai red curry spices)
                      -Potato soup (a blended German soup made with potatoes, veggies and bits of ham or sausage)
                      -Borscht
                      -Potato and leek soup
                      -Sorrel soup (I only make this in the spring and early summer, when sheep sorrel grows in my flowerpots like crazy. Instead of just pulling them, I put them in the soup!)
                      -Nettle soup

I also really like stew. It's a great thing to make when you're broke because you can just throw in whatever you have in the fridge and thicken it with oatmeal, which is insanely cheap here.

Comment

I love soup... but it's gotta be SOUP, not broth. There are only a few broth type soups that I like... mostly Minestrone or similar that's full of big chunks of ingredients. Otherwise I love the deep, dark, thick soups that are almost a stew (incidentally, I also love stew).

My all time favourite soup is cheesy broccoli and cauliflower.

Close seconds are Torey's Tortellini soup and his bean soup (butter beans, shallots, bacon, garlic and a mysterious ability to turn it into this amazingly deep broth despite the simple recipe), my mum's lamb shank soup, and the Woolworths beef, kale and red wine soup they only sell in winter.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                          I also really like stew. It's a great thing to make when you're broke because you can just throw in whatever you have in the fridge and thicken it with oatmeal, which is insanely cheap here.
                          Do you have any vegetarian recipes? I love stew, but I can't make a thick stew to save my life. Even my chili (which is delicious), turns out watery.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                            Do you have any vegetarian recipes? I love stew, but I can't make a thick stew to save my life. Even my chili (which is delicious), turns out watery.
                            All the recipes I make use meat, but it's not the meat that makes it thick. I think you could easily make a lentil or bean stew. I make mine from scratch and kind of haphazardly, but I'll try to describe the process:

-I chop veggies and sautee them in a bit of oil. I find this adds more flavor than if I just boil them. Veggies usually include things like onions, turnips, parsnips, leeks, cabbage, carrots, or greens (greens from root veggies, swiss chard, sorrel, even chickweed, clover, or dandelion...I'm not one to waste the weeds that grow in my flowerpots). Sometimes apples or pears can be nice, as odd as that sounds. If I add any greens, they go in last, because those don't take long to cook. I also sautee the meat (unless I'm using leftover cooked meat) at this point, but I think if you're using lentils or beans, you'd add those after. I don't know how to cook beans or lentils, so that would have to be your call lol.
                            -I add chopped potatoes to the mixture. Potatoes are starchy and make the water thicker.
                            -I cook those in water or water mixed with stock (veggie stock will work) for quite a long time. While it's cooking, I also add seasonings and herbs for flavor. The water to other stuff ratio in stew is a lot lower than in soup, but I still let everything simmer until the water I do use is cut in half, if that makes sense. It makes everything more concentrated.
                            -Sometimes, I use a potato masher to mash up the potatoes a bit. I don't like to mash up everything though, because then it's less like a chunky stew and more like a blended soup.
                            -I add oatmeal. Oatmeal makes everything thick, and it's full of fiber, which makes it filling. Barley can also work, but barley isn't gluten free (if I remember rightly, you can't have gluten, right?) and I don't usually use it because oatmeal is a lot cheaper here.

It sounds kind of like gruel, but if you do it right and add enough veggies, herbs, and spices, it's pretty tasty.

Comment

Vol, I have a veggie cookbooks on my Kindle. I can "loan" them to you if you want.
                              Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

sigpic
                                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Working...
                                X