• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whatcha Eatin'?

Homemade chicken liver and mushroom pate with carrots and crackers..mmmmmm

Comment

Pan-fried chicken (sans batter or breading), mixed vegetables with black beans and corn, and a red potato with butter.
      Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
      -Erik Erikson

Comment

Mexican rice with green olives cooked into it. And a flour tortilla quesadilla with moz cheese. Lunch of the poor! I realize I have a bunch of food in my fridge and pantry. Time to use it up!
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I had cheese hot dogs and some homemade potato salad. OMG. I'm so full. But now I have salad for tomorrow! Because I only at half a potato and I'm stuffed!
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

berry-kale smoothie and oatmeal...again.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              berry-kale smoothie and oatmeal...again.
              I like a berry-kale smoothie. I always add protein powder and PB2.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
                I like a berry-kale smoothie. I always add protein powder and PB2.
                I add some uber anti-oxidant probiotic vegan protien crap...its pretty yummy, lol.

I think its the mulberries I picked over the summer...I mixed them up in the berry mix.
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

Coffee and bacon, breakfast of... um... me!

Comment

Leftover pizza with salami and jalapenos and bread stuffed with cheese. My belly, it hurts, but it hurts oh so good.
                    Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                    -Erik Erikson

Comment

Right then, do not play for the center in Go. It ends in pain and anguish.
                      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I've just made a big pot of chili soup - basically the same as chili con carne, only in a water base. Sounds more bland than the usual, but I've been making it that way for years and it's oh so good. I tend to do something different with it every time I make it - this time I used black beans instead of kidney.
                        -Erik Erikson

Comment

I'm about to cook and eat some stir-fry veggies and egg noodles.

With sauce out of a packet.

Ick.

We're interstate for two week's because of hubby's surgery... staying in an apartment in a hotel...

I've never put so much pre-packaged food in my trolley in my life. Jars and packets of simmer sauces and stir-fry sauces... although they call them 'flavour-bases' nowdays. Which makes it so much better.

And still we spent $250 on two and a half week's worth of groceries (and toiletries). I almost died. We don't spend that much at home.

How is it that people think that pre-packaged food is CHEAPER than making food from scratch? The mind boggles.

So now I'm off to make Honey, Garlic and Soy stir-fry... with no honey or soy sauce or kechap manis in sight.

At least the packet has the Heart Foundation tick of approval. Right?

Comment

right now, I'm drinking a smoothie--kale, mango, peach, carrot, banana, apple, and pineapple.

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                            How is it that people think that pre-packaged food is CHEAPER than making food from scratch? The mind boggles.

Not sure how it is in Australia, but...it depends on the pre-packaged food. For example...for $2, I can get a box of velveeta mac'n'cheese (or Kraft mac'n'cheese for $1, or the store knock off brand for $0.50)...but, I could also *maybe* pick up that same box of velveeta mac'n'cheese for $1.50 at the "dollar store" (depends on if they have it in stock or not), or their knock-off brand for $1. But, buying a brick of velveeta is $3 (which admittely will make you several pots of mac'n'cheese), the noodles are about $1-2.50 a box (depending on the brand)...if you use real cheese, a brick of store brand is about $7, then you need butter ($2-3 for a box of 4 sticks), milk ($3-4). Most of those things--cheese, milk, butter, you can (and likely will) use for other meals...but the box of mac'n'cheese is still cheaper than buying the mac and the cheese separately.

But the premade stir-frys and such...those are like $3-8 dollars, depending on the brand here...just the meat would cost you about $2-3 for a cheap cut...then the veggies...a bag of mixed frozen veggies can be anywhere from $2-5 (buying similar fresh veggies to prepare would proly cost you about $10), depending on the brand, and then $3 for Panda Express's sauce, or $2 for a bottle of teriyaki or soy sauce...not to mention ginger, garlic, etc. Making it yourself is only really cost effective if you routinely have that other stuff.

It used to be, that our gov't subsidised food that people ate...now we subsidise feed corn and soybeans, which people turn into ingredients to be put into food-like substances. So...unless you are buying in bulk and have the time and storage space, a bag of chips is cheaper than a potato and kool-aid is cheaper than juice.
                            sigpic

Comment

Yeah I saw how it was in America when we went grocery shopping. It's not quite so bad over here, but there's still a perception the pre-packaged is a lot cheaper than from-scratch. But we usually spend about $150 on groceries a fortnight... which a lot less than we just spent the other day. But it was still cheaper than eating out everyday, which is the other misperception.

When you factor in a weekly bill vs individual ingredients... that block of cheese and block of butter and pack of pasta is actually like four meals, not one. So it spreads out over the week. I just couldn't believe how much more we spent on pre-packaged stuff than we usually do.

Comment

I find cooking myself FAR cheaper, in the long run, too. If you won't eat leftovers or plan what you are going to make it doesn't work. I think the whole "packaged is cheaper" is actually due to a lack in the skills to make food, not the food itself.

A bag of beans, a bag of rice, some veggies and a small piece of meat could feed a family for a week if you were careful. It would suck, mind you, but it could be done.

Comment

Working...
                                X