X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whatcha Eatin'?

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
    Tonight's dinner was a lamb chop and peas. Lamb is hard to find around here, so I haven't had it in a while & it was a welcome treat.
    That's really hard for me to imagine. It's all anyone eats here. This is sheep country.
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
      That's really hard for me to imagine. It's all anyone eats here. This is sheep country.
      As much as it's supposed to be a joke, the three main food groups here are beef, pork and chicken.

It's near impossible to find American Bison, lamb, veal and any of the gamier meats, like duck and all that. BUT walleye is virtually everywhere, so that makes up for it.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Mu godmother Lola used to order away for those Buffalo burgers. Said they were pretty good and low fat.
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

In NJ, my regular supermarket had a good selection of diff. cuts of beef, pork, lamb, veal, liver, chicken, turkey, duck, and a fresh fish counter. Here there's just beef, pork, and chicken. Frozen turkeys, & sometimes duck around this time of year.

People raise sheep & goats here, and also Bison (Buffalo), so it can be bought, just not at the regular stores, I guess you have to travel a bit. I sometimes find bison steaks & burgers. Those, I never saw in NJ. I like it better than beef! Guess it's just one of those regional things. I buy my salmon online now....all good.

We do have a plethora of baking supplies and ingredients. Extracts of things I've never heard of LOL and all kinds of home-canning paraphernalia.
          sigpic
          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

In my local Mexican market we have all sorts of meat cuts. Tripe, brains, tongue, pig's feet, chicken blood, chicken livers etc. I go for tongue myself. Shredded it's the softest machaca tacos ever.

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
              As much as it's supposed to be a joke, the three main food groups here are beef, pork and chicken.
              That's part of the reason I'm vegetarian, because (esp. in Aust, and I imagine in similar circumstances in the US) people just eat WAAY too much meat.

Here most common are lamb, beef, chicken, then pork. A bit of venison I think. Horse is now legal in SA, but no-one buys/sells it (culture *sigh*). Kangaroo is also gaining favour. And there are more and more of the specialty butchers selling game meats, or natives, named things like 'Wild Oz', that sell goat, rabbit, roo, crocodile, camel etc.

Personally I prefer the game/native meats. They aren't farmed and mass produced the same way. I'm a big fan of people eating roo, as it is never farmed (no chances of any thing foreign, eg steroids, no selective breeding), there are strict rules on how they can be killed (shot to the head. If you miss you can't get paid), whether they can be bought to the butcher (if you don't get a head shot, time between death and arrival etc), what to do if you shoot a nursing mother (I think you get paid less, and you need to dispose of the joey humanely) and a multitude of other things. Plus where I live, it's all local. Roo's are killed around the area, and butchered 100km away.

More people should eat roo.

RIP

You cut your hair short
              Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

More people should eat roo.
                We eat mostly game critters; venison, elk and fishes, but I would totally eat a kangaroo...if I had any way to actually get some. I have a funny feeling I couldn't even order it here and if I could, it would be $50 a pound or something.

But I'd eat it.

It would make me hoppy.

Punny, no?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                In my local Mexican market we have all sorts of meat cuts. Tripe, brains, tongue, pig's feet, chicken blood, chicken livers etc. I go for tongue myself. Shredded it's the softest machaca tacos ever.
                Most of that I'm not ready for, though chicken livers are awesome. And I love venison heart.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
                  We eat mostly game critters; venison, elk and fishes, but I would totally eat a kangaroo...if I had any way to actually get some. I have a funny feeling I couldn't even order it here and if I could, it would be $50 a pound or something.

But I'd eat it.

It would make me hoppy.

Punny, no?
                  You could always visit! I'll serve it up :P

Other problem with roo, is a lot of people say they don't like it, cos it's too 'gamey' or 'tough'. But that's because so many people will only eat their meat well done, and roo goes chewy past medium rare.

Very punny. On my other forum, a bloke used 'turtally'. As in 'turtally awesome'. Can you guess the focus of this forum? :P

RIP

You cut your hair short
                  Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post

But I'd eat it.

It would make me hoppy.

Punny, no?

- - - Updated - - -

Most of that I'm not ready for, though chicken livers are awesome. And I love venison heart.
                    When you hit up a taco truck in the middle of the night parked in a closed gas station those are pretty much your yummy choices. Tacos de tripas, tacos de cabeza, tacos de lingua, tacos asada. It's all chopped up and spicy with toppings. Can't really tell one from the other. Tripe is what we put in menudo. It's like chewing rubber. As a kid I ate it. But not any more. Can't do the head either. I would see the whole entire goat head in the pot. No thanks. Tongue is just like shredded beef. Only way more tender.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                      When you hit up a taco truck in the middle of the night parked in a closed gas station those are pretty much your yummy choices. Tacos de tripas, tacos de cabeza, tacos de lingua, tacos asada. It's all chopped up and spicy with toppings. Can't really tell one from the other. Tripe is what we put in menudo. It's like chewing rubber. As a kid I ate it. But not any more. Can't do the head either. I would see the whole entire goat head in the pot. No thanks. Tongue is just like shredded beef. Only way more tender.
                      Dead animal heads make me feel sick.

RIP

You cut your hair short
                      Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Just an FYI for those in the States: as much as I detest Wal-Mart, they do occasionally have bison. And most places anymore have a large enough Hispanic population to have a carniceria, where you can generally get mutton or goat. Many Asian markets will have more 'exotic' choices of meat, too, particularly seafood.
                        Last edited by Rick; 02 Jan 2014, 23:31.
                        I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
                        Tribe of my Tribe
                        Clan of my Clan
                        Kin of my Kin
                        Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                        And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

But no one sells Skippy! haha I think you people are missing out.

I've just made three pizzas. One cheese, one margarita, and one pesto veg... mmmmmmm

RIP

You cut your hair short
                          Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                            Just an FYI for those in the States: as much as I detest Wal-Mart, they do occasionally have bison. And most places anymore have a large enough Hispanic population to have a carniceria, where you can generally get mutton or goat. Many Asian markets will have more 'exotic' choices of meat, too, particularly seafood.
                            Walmart's bison and lamb here is so terribly over priced. As well as their ox tails. :S As a meat eater I am very happy to be in the Midwest since we have such a nice butcher I can just visit for these things. The only time they disappointed was when I missed alligator and decided to try out their frozen section. I will never eat frozen alligator again. But Walmart is the place I go to for the most decent crawfish so far from the coast.

Comment

But no one sells Skippy! haha I think you people are missing out.

I've just made three pizzas. One cheese, one margarita, and one pesto veg... mmmmmmm
                              What, no Kanga or Roo pizza?

Originally posted by WayfaringStranger View Post
                              Walmart's bison and lamb here is so terribly over priced. As well as their ox tails. :S As a meat eater I am very happy to be in the Midwest since we have such a nice butcher I can just visit for these things. The only time they disappointed was when I missed alligator and decided to try out their frozen section. I will never eat frozen alligator again. But Walmart is the place I go to for the most decent crawfish so far from the coast.
                              Crawdads? Betcha their cheaper at the bait shop...
                              I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
                              Tribe of my Tribe
                              Clan of my Clan
                              Kin of my Kin
                              Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                              And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                                Crawdads? Betcha their cheaper at the bait shop...
                                Ewwww, sir. Somehow you have reminded me of eating worms as a kid. *This is my icky face*

Comment

Working...
                                X