Northern Americana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Northern Americana

Yeah it can be confusing, because Victoria is on the Island and since it's the capital of the province, it's usually pretty prominently marked!

Hope you liked it there....it's my home (didn't grow up there, but lived there and it's where I hang out when I go back!)

Comment

I'm staying up at Lowry Lake in the middle of nowhere (well, not the middle, but you can spot it from there). I'll be disconnected from everything for a couple of days - just getting supplies and all sorted today.

New blog posts are online for those inclined to read (and click the ads, of course )

Comment

Bailed on the campsite - will have updates to the blog probably tomorrow.

For anyone that can help - I desperately need to get a new rear tire for CHOPT - it's bald as fuck and I've been pushing my luck with it already (as well as pushing my luck with the locals - it's a loud bike and they have noise ordinances - I'm afraid that I may get stopped simply because the tire is unsafe).

Checking prices I may be able to get one for as "cheap" as $250+labor (usually $90 an hour, but bike shops have been amazingly cheap for work...probably due to the road trip itself. Please help if you can, folks! I've talked to Liz, but the last few weeks (battery issues, etc) have totally killed our credit cards and bank accounts. My paypal account is linked on my blog, and even if you can't donate, the more clicks that I can get on the ads by Wednesday, the more money will get to me on Thursday.

Sorry to have to ask, but I'm kinda stranded right now

Comment

I'll ask my dad if there's anywhere you can get one cheaper....he's big into bikes and lives on the Island.

Until then, clicky

Comment

Thanks Danie! That'll be a huge help!!!

Comment

I emailed him...I'll let you know what he says

Comment

Thanks! If he's going to do some legwork on his own, the tire that I need to find is a 180/55 ?R18 (the ? represents the tire's maximum rated speed, which under no circumstances will I reach, so is unimportant)

I'm hanging out at Starbucks again for the day unless I can get some accommodations (I've sent a few emails - we'll see what happens), so I'll be around

Comment

I didn't see your post that you just made before I asked, but I'll forward that info to him. Here was his first answer:

"It depends where he is and what make his bike is. $90 an hour is about right for most dealerships. Harley is 100
                  Bike Smith in Campbell River works for about 40 ! and he is really really good.
                  Milwaukie Twin in Campbell River has a good reputation (Harley) as does American Cycle (Harley) in Courtenay

Again where is he and what is he riding?"

Dad knows a bit more about Harley's because he's a huge Harley fan (and that's what he rides).

---------- Post added at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

He said the key piece of info he needs is what you're riding, and also which city you're looking for a shop in (I think he knows Campbell River, Courtenay and Victoria best).

Comment

I can make it to wherever I need to be - the tire's bald, but not dead yet. If it costs me an extra $20 in gas it'll be well worth it for a deal

The bike info isn't going to do him much good - it's a custom bike, but here goes: 2004 Count's Kustom's Chopper - if he wants a picture so that he knows what it is, http://www.roknrol.info/2011/05/30/p...p-cleanup-025/ that's about the best pic I've got.

The numbers on the current tire are 180/55 (dimensions of the tire) VB18 (the V is the speed that it's rated at. The B means that it's a "Bias" tire, not a (R)adial), and the 18 is the size of the rim. I hope this all helps him - I really don't think he'll get much from the Make/Model or even the pic

Comment

Part of him wanting to know is just the way my dad is....he's super nitpicky. He likes to know every single little detail of what's asked of him.
                      I'll let you know what he says!

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                        Part of him wanting to know is just the way my dad is....he's super nitpicky. He likes to know every single little detail of what's asked of him.
                        I'll let you know what he says!
                        It's all good I certainly don't mind telling anyone about the bike, I just don't think it's as relevant as he thinks it is. If I were riding a Harley or something like that then he'd have a good point - he'd be able to see what other tires would fit with only some nominal checking. It's just that it's a custom job that's the "problem" - there's nothing on that bike that can be taken for granted (as an example, the battery that I had to buy had to be specially made because the only company that makes batteries that fit the bike makes really shitty batteries.

I'll keep checking back - thanks again!

Comment

He said the following...they do a lot of Harley but both shops specialize in American bikes in general....you could always call the following places and ask as well:

"My recommendation would be American Cycle in Courtenay or Milwaukie Twin in Campbell River. I’m sure there is a shop in Port Alberni also but I don’t know any of them.

There is a good Harley mechanic at Union Bay also, but they don’t carry much inventory.

He has open pipes so he is going to be very loud. He might want to go to Campbell River. Milwaukie Twin is between the bridges in Campbellton so He would not have to go through town. Both Courtenay and Nanaimo RCMP have indicated they are clamping down on noisy bikes and cars. (noise levels above 91 DB and idle and up to 2000 rpm). His bike would be in the 110 range or higher I would guess."

Also, I do actually recommend Campbell River anyway as a place to go. It's the small city you hit just before you get to Strathcona Park and there's TONS of great camping around the area. If you want somewhere remote, go into River Sportsman and ask around there (despite the name, they're not just a fishing shop). And in CR, camping in the stix isn't a negative thing....it's what most locals would rather do (as opposed to camping in the provincial campgrounds with the families of summer tourists). Say you want to camp somewhere private and remote and ask if they know anywhere or know anyone who does. Also, CR has really good fish :P

Edit contact info:

also a link I found with allllll the motorcycle shops on the Island: http://members.shaw.ca/comoxvalleydr...MC%20Links.htm
                          Last edited by DanieMarie; 27 Jun 2011, 07:01.

Comment

Thanks again Danie - that's great info and I'm going to get on the horn and get in touch with the shops now. I did find some free facilities here (bed/shower/laundry) from the shelter here, so depending on distance and everything else I may be able to take care of some of the necessities before camping out.

My biggest concern with being out in the sticks is that if it's a great distance and that tire blows I'm fucked - I've got about 200lbs of gear that I'm carrying with me and strapping all of that to my back is not a good way to travel. Not only that, there's something significant about being able to find WiFi (or at the least, an electrical socket to plug my shit into for a recharge )

---------- Post added at 08:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 AM ----------

Side-note - the shelter here in Port Alberni is willing to give me a place to crash, do laundry, and shower - depending on what I hear back from these shops it looks like I may have a place to get my rest on.

---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 AM ----------

There must be an unwritten law in this country that says motorcycle shops don't hire secretaries...4 shops, 4 voicemails

Comment

They're mostly small shops with the owners and maybe a couple of employees working....usually not at the same time even! I think if you were in Vancouver it would be a different story though.

If you -don't- want to camp in the stix, there's certainly many campgrounds near Campbell River closer to town! The provincial ones are usually not full yet this time of year and are cheap, and somewhat private.

Comment

Cheap is subjective - until Wednesday (maybe Thursday) I've got about $14 to my name...that's why "free" is the operative word And *very* difficult to find near civilization, I might add

It didn't take my last post BTW - thank you SOOOoooo much for that list of shops - that's way better than what I was turning up on Google!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X