This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sewing

I sew, but only to stitch together my cross stitching and embrodiary projects! I love to cross stitch! x
    "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

Cute quilts, Storm!!!
      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

I only ever sew in my textiles lessons in school, where evidentally, they don't provide thimbles, and most people are rather hyper in that lesson.
        "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
        - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

Lovely quilts Storm!
          You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

Thank you Deseret and Maythe. I still have a long way to go before they're done, but it's a labor of love.

Comment

I think it's easier if I just link ya to my DA page.

I tell people, "Yeah I went to college, they taught me how to use a glue gun..."

I have to get a new scanner, because I have a pile of actual photos that need scanned (these are pre everybody has a digital camera stuff).

And I gotta get my studio together so I can work on new stuff. It's been 6 years since I've had more than 5 square feet to sew, draw, paint what have you... right now the studio looks like this

I have 3 sewing machines, a Kenmore can't even remember the model, a baby lock, and a treadle. I like the treadle sew and work out at the same time

Comment

All right ladies, you all have SKILLS.

Tylluan, I totally would have taken my quilt home. That seems like such a poor display of gratitude, sewing isn't simple (at least not to those of us who don't sew).

Storm, your quilts are awesome. They make me want to snuggle. The green checkered one especially. Such neat lines!

Nat... :O You made that dress? I want to see more of your things. Pronto. That white dress is fierce and I want to wear it RIGHT NOW.

My sewing skills are very limited. Buttons. Hems. Hand sewing type of things. I fix my nephews pants and shirts all the time, but anything beyond that is beyond me. However, I derive some sort of strange joy from doing it. So soothing. So relaxing. My stitches aren't perfect. Nowhere near, but I like doin' it.
                No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Bjorn, thank you.

LGR, I'm so jealous! You have a whole room for sewing/crafting?!! I looked at some of your work, amazing!

Comment

Someone's started a Ravelry clone for sewing at http://www.mysewingcircle.com/. It's still a bit rough round the edges and it feels slightly cheeky that it's such a clone of Rav but hopefully as people sign up it'll start to develop its own personality.
                    You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

[quote author=Bjorn link=topic=177.msg25046#msg25046 date=1293439446]
                      Tylluan, I totally would have taken my quilt home. That seems like such a poor display of gratitude, sewing isn't simple (at least not to those of us who don't sew).
                      [/quote]

I think they felt they'd 'grown out of them' somehow.... but the quilts are still sitting there, dreaming, in my linen cupboard.

I would love to sew again,but my eyesight is just too poor now.

But in my dreams I still sew, and visualising making patchwork quilts is a great cure for insomnia!
                      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

[quote author=Bjorn link=topic=177.msg25046#msg25046 date=1293439446]
                        Nat... :O You made that dress? I want to see more of your things. Pronto. That white dress is fierce and I want to wear it RIGHT NOW.
                        [/quote]
                        Thanks Bjorn hun, that dress took me AGES to make, although i think if i had more of a vision, and more room it would have taken less time.

im hoping to make a pencil skirt in the new year, and i still have the skirt to make out of my old jeans, which i will hopefully get done this weekend, and i shall get pictures up.

Comment

I used to hand sew alot as a child but I havent done it in probably 20 years :-[ I really want to pick it back up as I LOVE LOVE LOVE to hand sew (never could get the hang of a machine) but I really dont even know where to start.

What's a good beginner project to do for hand sewing?

Comment

[quote author=Amber link=topic=177.msg25813#msg25813 date=1293735428]
                            I used to hand sew alot as a child but I havent done it in probably 20 years :-[ I really want to pick it back up as I LOVE LOVE LOVE to hand sew (never could get the hang of a machine) but I really dont even know where to start.

What's a good beginner project to do for hand sewing?
                            [/quote]

A sampler...seriously, they look cute and there are both old school and modern versions of them, and they will work you thru lots of stich types. Some of the embroidery stiches may not be so important to you--unless you want to do needlepoint of some sort, but they make good finishing/embellishing for projects even if you don't. After that (if you are interested in needlepoint type work), there is a technique called "chicken scratch" (if goes by other names too) that is a sort of cross-stich (but done on gingham) that give a prett cool vintage faux lace look that is an easy beginner project. If you are just looking for sewing in projects you can do by hand though, pillows, bags, stuffed animals and puppets (for kids stuff), and accessories are an easy place to start.

ETA:

[quote author=Amber link=topic=753.msg25859#msg25859 date=1293748557]
                            This! I need to get a door draft for the front door. It has the original heavy door on it but its a little drafty on the bottom. Luckly we have a stone house so its pretty insulated so we just got some of that window shrink wrap on the insides so it doesnt look ghetto yet still serves its purpose
                            [/quote]

I think you found your first project here.

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

[quote author=Storm link=topic=177.msg25281#msg25281 date=1293545978]
                              Bjorn, thank you.

LGR, I'm so jealous! You have a whole room for sewing/crafting?!! I looked at some of your work, amazing!
                              [/quote]

Yup, a whole room. We bought this place it needed a lot of work, a new roof, plumbing and electric upgrades. Took almost a year to do it all, but ended up with a HUGE house that we knock around in.

Thank you

Comment

I can't sew with a machine of by hand, I stabbed myself with the needle too often, but I did manage to make a cushion cover I hope to take it up again when the school gets funding
                                "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
                                - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

Working...
                                X