hobbies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: hobbies

Oh, I'm sorry. I assumed it was because of the "u" at the end of it. I should have just asked. ;^_^
    But yes, I know that Japanese people do not speak like anime in real life. I'm also a fan of a few subbed Japanese films, not just anime. That's why the angry Pikachu voice is so funny to me. Just like everything that Gir says in the American cartoon "Invader Zim" is so hilarious to me, because of his weird yet cute voice. ^_-
    However, I do notice that when I first stated to learn Japanese, my family wanted me to show off with some words... but was highly disappointed because I didn't do the strong male choppy voice they know of. I explained that one, that's a masculine male voice to say things so deeply and forcefully. And two, not everyone in Japan talks like that. I say the words normally.

I'll have to look up your voice clip then! LOL! I love impressions.

- - - Updated - - -

Doh! Can you give me a hint on where to find the clip? I got lost and distracted with a funny thread here about finding pubic hairs in the shower drain. ROTFL!
    Oh and I noticed that your profile says that you're a night owl... ME TOO! Well, sorta. I usually sleep afternoons and then wake at midnight... stay up until the afternoon once again. But today, I got so engrossed with this site... so I'm stay up until dawn this time.
    My everyday wacky blog

Comment

Originally posted by RiverSong View Post
      Doh! Can you give me a hint on where to find the clip? I got lost and distracted with a funny thread here about finding pubic hairs in the shower drain. ROTFL!
      Oh and I noticed that your profile says that you're a night owl... ME TOO! Well, sorta. I usually sleep afternoons and then wake at midnight... stay up until the afternoon once again. But today, I got so engrossed with this site... so I'm stay up until dawn this time.
      Hahaha. Glad you're enjoying the forum. I guess this IS about hobbies so we're not THAT off topic. :s All the same, maybe we should PM. ^^

The thread was 'Any other languages' about languages that are NOT Japanese or German (because they have their own threads) so naturally, I end up talking about Japanese.. all forums have their bad eggs.. here's my post from that thread..

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
      I had totally forgotten all about promising to do this. I've agreed to (eek) make a youtube video for a guy who makes awesome Japanese tutorials on there. I'm really nervous about people the world over hearing my crappy Japanese. Then I remembered this thread and thought, why not start on a smaller friendly audience. Assuming I don't die of embarrassment, it might help ease my way.. ^^

So, here's my soundcloud link *blush*

Explore the largest community of artists, bands, podcasters and creators of music & audio

It (supposidly) says:

hey everyone, jembru here. Well, I recently learnt an amusing new word, so I felt like using that in a sentence. So, without further ado, please listen..

Heh cute! That piggy has tufty hair!

Thanks for listening!

The back story to this is that one of my Japanese friends recently had a baby and one of her fb contacts wrote 'fusa fusa' on her wall. I thought this was a funky word so have used it at every opportunity since. Yup, including at a poor little baby pig!
      - - - Updated - - -

Now I hear that again that's totally not my best anime accent. That's almost my normal Japanese accent. The parts that aren't my example sentance are basically my normal accent except I don't usually say 'chatta' like that. Or do I? Well if I do, I'm a weirdo. That sounds like someone with a mental illness right there...

I played this for one of my Japanese friends. Her reaction.. she laughed and refused to comment. ^^

Oh you mentioned pikachu.. did you know we have a pokemon thread too?
      Last edited by Jembru; 22 Nov 2012, 00:38.
      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Yes, that sounds like a normal Japanese voice to me! Very good. ^_^
        Oh, I'm not into Pokemon anymore... that was my teen years. lol. But whenever I hear that over exaggerated angry squeaky voice in anime, I think "Pikachu". Oops! Yeah... we kind of made the hobby post a Japanimation spot, didn't we? Oops!!! I think I started it. ;^_^
        Will PM with all the anime I'm into!
        My everyday wacky blog

Comment

Interests and what we do

I probably think too much. Just now, deciding that it looked like I would be staying here for a while, I went to flesh out my profile a bit more and was absolutely immobilized by the prompt "Interests." There is not much I don't find interesting, but "life" is a glib answer that tells other people little. Is it dishonest to list things that I have found inspiring but do not really do very much? So, then, should "interests" be things that I actually DO? If I list a bunch of things that I wish to do rather than things I actually do, isn't that a list of dreams rather than hobbies? Sadly, most of what I do is not that interesting to me. This left me puzzled and perplexed, because life is fairly short and shouldn't we all be doing mostly those things that we find interesting?

So, for any of you who spend more time than not doing what you really want to do -- tell me how. Bear in mind that I have a family to tend, so going Kerouac is not an option. I want to have my cake and eat it, too. Is that possible?

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Re: Interests and what we do

Interests can just be stuff you find... interesting. Subjects you enjoy talking about or researching. It doesn't have to be stuff you actually do. You should never feel bad for being curious or engaged by a subject.

I find quantum physics fascinating - but I have no idea what it's really all about. And I'm certainly not a quantum physicist. But it's cool to get caught up in conversations about it.
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I'm just generally not good at profiles. How do you talk about yourself without sounding incredibly dull? I haven't figured it out yet.
              ~J

"The very young do not always do as they are told."

Comment

Oh I managed the profile question just fine. The rote, robot-like responses to traditional getting-to-know-you questions come out as naturally as a hiccup, and probably mean even less. The thing that got me stuck, though, was how much time I spend doing things that don't really interest me. I need to find a way to fulfill obligations without it consuming all of my time. Less obligation and more exploration, if you will. More than half a lifetime ago dear friends gifted me a simple set of pastels and I once spent hours playing with them. I remember really enjoying this, but have not done anything of this nature for about 20 years. I rather boldly put "music" on my list, but have not touched an instrument other than my voice for months. This seems wrong. I am looking for strategies in time management, I guess, and maybe everyone is or we'd all be doing what we enjoy most of the time. To complicate matters further, the silly zen side of my brain keeps telling me that I should simply enjoy what I am doing rather than seeking to hurry through it to get to a different activity, that everything is is as fulfilling and beautiful and enjoyable as we choose to let it be. Mind games. Like I said, I probably think too much, and thanks for humoring me with these kind responses.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

I think it's something we all struggle with. I started embroidering a shirt last Hallowe'en, and picked it up briefly before this Hallowe'en when I realized that I hadn't touched it in a year. I worked on it for a few days, but it's mostly been sitting here next to my desk collecting dog hair and dust. I just never seem to get around to it. I've got some good graphite artsy pencils and a sketch pad, and I was working up a tattoo design... like 6 months ago.

Time seems to just slip by me, and I fall into a pattern of 'work-sleep-work-sleep'. People ask me what I do in my 'free time' and I usually stand there w/a dumb look on my face, like "What is this 'free time' you speak of?"
                  The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I can completely relate. The biographies and about me stuff always fluster me. I see them and suddenly "WHO AM I??!" It's just difficult to put down what I do or like to do, since i do a whole lot of nothing most of the time. When I actually come of with something and look at it, it feels rather pitiful; drawing, writing, reading, gaming, philosophy. I have a mini what-am-I-doing-with-my-life crisis whenever I fill out a profile. Then when people actually try to talk to me about it I can't contribute to the conversation. My drawing and writing is pretty bad, I have issues finding adult books that actually suit my taste (I will mention here both my high school library and local library have books which are mostly written at reading level for ages 11 and below. It saddens me greatly) so I end up reading a lot of books which are considered immature to my significantly older online friends, I play games a lot of people have never even heard of and my philosophical ramblings get all garbled and unintelligible when I try to communicate them.
                    Circe

Comment

I've the same issue myself, I always look at the lists I make and think, "Oh my goodness, I'm soooo boring! I have no life!" But it is pretty much true, I eat I sleep and I work, for too little money to be able to afford hobbies even if I had time for one...
                      http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                      ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I try to do stuff where I can include the kids, or stuff where I absolutely and utterly don't have to include the kids and can multitask, or stuff where the kids and I can do differently skilled versions of the same thing.

For example, I can crochet while taking the kids to the park. I can read a book on my kindle at the gym while the kids play in the play area. We can all draw at the kitchen table together, etc.
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

Favorite things to do

My favorite things to do in my spare time: draw landscapes and fur-clad people, listen to Robert Cray, listening to Michael Goree's buddhism podcasts, and practicing praying to Odin and Freya with my makeshift altar in my room.

I'd luv to hear what you guys like to do!
                          People are meant to be loved,
                          And things are meant to be used.
                          The reason the world is chaos is because
                          People are being used and things are being loved.

Comment

Re: Favorite things to do

I love reading all kinds of books, writing, watching nerdy science documentaries, exploring my psyche through mythology and fairly Jungian introspection, meditating, listening to weird psychedelic/indie rock bands, dabbling in visual art, digging up old clips of Bill Hicks routines on youtube, watching surrealist films, studying esoteric spiritual philosophies/mythologies, making movies with my friends, interpreting my dreams, performing rituals for the Green Man, and playing with my chinchilla, Rocky. He is a fluffy cuddle bug. He also taught me that I am just a crazy old chinchilla lady at heart.

Comment

Re: Favorite things to do

Scrying: I have an ancient crystal ball = it was unearthed by my grandfater many years ago and I inherited it :-) x x Interesting energy ! :o x

I probably think too much. Just now, deciding that it looked like I would be staying here for a while, I went to flesh out my profile a bit more and was absolutely immobilized by the prompt "Interests." There is not much I don't find interesting, but "life" is a glib answer that tells other people little. Is

Comment

The four hobby threads are now merged. I shall avoid making Captain Planet jokes.

life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Working...
                                X