Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any other languages?

Originally posted by ThorsSon View Post
    I'm multilingual, I know English, PHP, ASP, C, C++ C#, JavaScript, VBScript, ADO, SQLScript, etc...
    haha
    Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by ThorsSon View Post
      I'm multilingual, I know English, PHP, ASP, C, C++ C#, JavaScript, VBScript, ADO, SQLScript, etc...
      No kidding though.. that IS multilingual!
      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Portuguese as native language, English, a bit of French, Spanish and I'm going to learn German (does it count?)
        "I was born from a Spark and Fire I became"

Comment

Originally posted by Morrigan View Post
          I'm going to learn German (does it count?)
          Can I recommend Deutsch, Warum Nicht? http://www.dw.de/learn-german/deutsc...m-nicht/s-2548 This is what I used to study from while I was in Germany. It's good because it is audio based, which is a really useful way to learn any language. It did nothing for my speaking confidence, but it helped a lot with my passive skills (listening and reading). Just be aware it uses the old style of spelling.

It has a kind of faerie thing in it, that only the main character can see. It touches on folklore a bit and they meet a hedgewitch and talk about alternative healing and herbalism in later series'. I enjoyed it a lot!
          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Thanks Jembru! I'll definitely take a look at it
            "I was born from a Spark and Fire I became"

Comment

I'm going to have a look at that too! However, what I think I need most is a german friend with whom to train; I understand german, but I never remember the words when I want to express myself. I blame the french high school, with their "where is Brian" level for foreign languages :=[:
              I actually started high-school with spanish, but wasn't very good at it. So being norwegian, I switched over to german and it went much better.

I still understand a bit of spanish, though. Also, I'm fluent in french, norwegian and obviously english. I know a few basic sentences in russian from my trips there and japanese from anime series.
              "The idea is to be whispering, and not to gain the attention from the flock, but to get attention from the individuals. That's why I relate it to whispering. It's not something you can put on a big scale; you can't get sheep to attend to it. You need to have people who can stand for themselves. It is important to have a lot of space for yourself to be able to grow strong branches, which can stand in the most extreme surroundings."

Gaahl

Comment

Originally posted by Kviskrar View Post
                I'm going to have a look at that too! However, what I think I need most is a german friend with whom to train; I understand german, but I never remember the words when I want to express myself. I blame the french high school, with their "where is Brian" level for foreign languages :=[:
                I actually started high-school with spanish, but wasn't very good at it. So being norwegian, I switched over to german and it went much better.

I still understand a bit of spanish, though. Also, I'm fluent in french, norwegian and obviously english. I know a few basic sentences in russian from my trips there and japanese from anime series.
                I'm working on a series of youtube videos that trouble shoot this kind of issue. They're aimed at Japanese learners but the tips will work for any language. I'm road testing the content myself and it seems pretty effective.

Language exchange is very hard if your level is below B2, but if you're just about there or over, then it is definitely a good idea.

If I could share just one tip, it would be to practice active output. That is, as soon as you learn something, close the book or webpage, and start using the new words in sentences, not in your head, but out loud. This simple act of frequent active output is what makes the difference between knowing the language as lifeless set of words and rules, and actually being able to use it. I learnt this the hard way!

Comment

i speak, spanish, english, and a little bit of french *sigh*

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Comment

I tried to learn Japanese when I was younger as I was totally (and still am to a certain extent) in to Anime.

I totally suck at learning languages though, so it never got far. I can pick up bit and pieces in Japanese from the Anime I have watched over the years. The main problem I have is that I always had problems with English due to being slightly dyslexic, and that hinders me when I am trying to learn a new language, which I find very frustrating.

Due to my faith I really want to try to learn how to speak Southern Welsh, so when I get the time I am going to give learning a new language another go. I would be happy if I got to the point where I could just say a simple prayer or two to the God's and Goddess's in a Celtic language.

I noticed a few other people here were learning Welsh, are any others hear currently learning Southern Welsh? I have not even started yet, but I would be interested to see who else might be.
                    When life hands you lemons make lemonade and find someone else who life handed them vodka and have a party.

Comment

My off-the-boat Italian grandmother lived with us when I was a kid. She & my mother spoke Italian all day until Dad got home, so I understand it very well. I was raised Catholic and attended Mass every Sunday, which was still said in Latin back then, so I had a basic understanding of that. My father was fluent in Latin, so he understood much more Italian than he let on! I took 3 years of French and 1 of German in school & always did very well. I really love linguistics and wish I'd learned more.

My cousin is an Associate Professor of Japanese History and is fluent in Japanese, having lived & studied there for a few years. I don't know any Japanese or Chinese, but I learned a tiny bit of Russian, so using different characters isn't impossible for me.

My current infatuation is Portuguese. I love the sound of it, and I can pick up a lot because it has elements of French, Italian, & Spanish, and once you have the Latin root you can guess.....enough to get in trouble, at least, as others have said in this thread!
                      sigpic
                      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

My long-term foreign language commitment has been to Japanese, but I've also had the delight of studying Mandarin Chinese (the professor was horrid, but I loved learning the language itself), French, German, Spanish, and Latin. I went to a Catholic college that did not have Latin until my senior year. So I took a full year of it and was incredibly bummed that I had to graduate and not take any more Latin. I had a wonderful professor and really adored the language itself. I found it to be much more difficult than Japanese but equally as rewarding to study. I still use it here and there and have had my knowledge of it actually come in handy in several instances. Japanese is still my number-one foreign language though. =)

Comment

日本ごに関心があるなら、日本語に関しているトピを読んでくださいよ!
                          (if you've an interest in Japanese, why not check out our Japanese threads)

たとえば;
                          (for example)

日本語で楽しんで、(fun with Japanese)
                          Right, so we have the study thread, how about we have a second thread for having a bit of fun with Japanese? My idea is to play simple language games. I'll get us started, but anyone can jump in and suggest something. We can do harder things to challenge ourselves from time to time, but lets revert back to easier games, so that

変で詳しくて難しい文法の質問、(weird, complicated or tough grammar questions)
                          This thread is for questions about Japanese pronunciation, grammar, etymology, etc. I've intended this to be supplementary to kijani's The Japanese Language Learning Thread (v2.0) (http://www.paganforum.com/showthread.php?2029-The-Japanese-Language-Learning-Thread-(v2-0)), so please ask any major questions about learning

日本語の勉強トピ、(Japanese learning thread)
                          Hey everyone! I'm starting this thread back up since we lost it when the site went boom. So here's version 2, yay! That said, if anyone's interested, we'll be starting with the simple stuff and working our way up from there. Anyone game?

My Japanese still isn't great (I'm around intermediate, or if you know the JLPT, I'm a very good old N3 and or a just about passable new N3, although my kanji lets me down ^^). Those who know me on here will tell you, I worked my behind off last year to improve my Japanese. I didn't reach the level I'd hoped for, but I can just about hold my own now. Just my speaking ability is lagging behind still.

Anyway, this thread is for languages BESIDES Japanese, because it was started last year when the forum was dominated by my language obsession. I just wanted to let people know there's Japanese goodness to be found here.

Comment

Deutsch ist meine zweite Sprache doch meine Wortschatz ist noch zu klein zum gut gespraech machen fuer. Ich studierte Deutsch in der Uni fuer fuenf Semestern und meine Stiefgrossmutter kommt aus Sachsen, in der Ost von Deutschland - Sie ist auch eine sehr talentiert lerner des Fremdsprachen - also habe ich viel von ihrem Deutsch gelernt.

German is my second language but my vocabulary is still to small to make for good conversation. I studied German in college for five semesters and my step-grandmother is from Saxony, in the east of Germany - she is also a very talented language learner - so I have learned a lot of German from her.

To any native speakers of German: I sincerely apologize if I have butchered anything terribly; it has been several years since I've had any formal instruction in German and I've had hardly any chances to speak it since then so I'm rather out of practice. xD

I also speak a very, very, small amount of Farsi and Danish. (I am actually of Danish heritage. ) I'd like to eventually become fluent in all of the above plus Gaidhlig, Turkish, and Finnish but we'll see how much spare time I have. :P

Comment

Unlogisch, if you want, you could ask very nicely and see if an admin would unlock this thread for you: http://www.paganforum.com/showthread...-German-is-fun!)

I really recommend something like this. A few months ago, I started frequently posting in Japanese on a forum, and having IM conversations. In a very short space of time, my ability to speak without pauses and stutters has improved. It is remarkably powerful practice!

My German is almost entirely gone now, so I don't think I could join in, but there are others here who speak German as a first or second language! I did write in German recently, because one of my friends on the Japanese forum I frequent is German and asked me if I still remember the language (I lived in Augsburg for a short time), but it took me ages. I had to sit surrounded by my text books just to write a few lines!

I love the language though, and the country, so once my Japanese gets to where I want it to be, I definitely plan to return to German.

Comment

I'm brand new here so I think I'll wait a bit before I start making requests.

It's a great language but it can be frustrating to not have anyone to talk to. I discovered recently, however, that one of the guys who lives in my building is fluent so we'll probably converse a fair bit.

Comment

Working...
                                X