Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deutsch lernen macht Spaß! (Learning German is fun!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eisheth View Post
    Hmm.

Challenge Accepted!
    Yey!! Can we maybe do a PF's got talent? It could be so much fun!
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I'm not entirely sure why, but I have found in both German and Japanese, I know very few military/combat words and expressions, and yet a great many of the people I meet who have a smattering of German or Japanese but haven't studied the language in any depth, know a lot this kind of vocabulary? Warum? With nihongo, I can assume people often get an interest in the language through martial arts, videogames or anime, so it makes a bit more sense, but what's the deal with deutsch? War movies? Dunno, but I have definitely experienced this on several occasions.
      I'm not sure why I know this actually. I think it's partly that Berlin is a city really obsessed with it's own history, so when you live here you learn about the war quite a bit. D is right....I do know the word Luftwaffe, and I don't know why I didn't connect the two dots before! But yeah, military/combat stuff comes up, and also if you watch television regularly enough you're bound to catch some sort of WWII documentary (seeing how there's one on somewhere pretty much daily). Also the other weird thing that comes up is actually because I'm Canadian. EVERYONE in Germany has seen Bowling for Columbine, and for some reason every person I meet wants to ask me about what Michael Moore said about Canada. I get asked if I lock my doors the most (alll the time....every person I meet ever asks me if I lock my doors), but I also get asked about our gun control laws. It's dying down now that the movie came out 10 years ago, but when I first moved here, everyone wanted to know about Canada, locking doors, and guns. Which ultimately led me to talking about hunting rifles and how that's the kind of gun we're allowed there, and that people have guns to go hunting. [/quote]

Yeah I think the longer you've been learning, and more importantly, practicing, makes a huge difference too. When I first came here I was a lot more concerned with being correct, and after a while you just start to care so much less. I've been here nearly 7 years now, so mostly it's just been a process. There was the moment I realised I could watch tv and understand most of it (about 2 years), the time I realised I could debate with someone (around the same time), the time I passed the TestDAF (3 years), the time I realised I could understand National Geographic fairly well (5 years) and the epiphany I had recently that reading and watching TV wasn't effort at all anymore, and that I can watch TV to relax and it's like watching it in English, and that I actually have to purposely remind myself to look up words in the dictionary when I read (because there's usually only one every page or two of a regular book that I wont understand, and mostly I don't need it to understand everything else). I'm still always learning though. My comprehension is great...especially for stuff like reading and TV/Movies where I have a context (I'm less perfect on the phone...i can't see or have a background for what's going on), but there's always room to learn new vocab in your second language and I've started to make a more dedicated effort to read. A friend of mine rotates reading so that he reads something fun in English, something to learn in English, and then something (anything) in German. I think I'll do this too, but I'll allow myself English magazines during the German phase and German magazines in the English phase, just because I like to keep things bilingual. Aside from vocab, I also learn new contexts for words (like today with Waffen), which helps build language skills. My grammar also leaves a lot to be desired, so even after 7 years, I'm still working on it! I've decided to do what I advise in my blog post, and write letters to my political representatives and get friends to proofread. I'm a voter here, and I'm very angry about a lot of things lol. I already wrote L'Oreal to let them know that their Garnier BB Cream doesn't come in pale enough colours lol.

Comment

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

Ah. Forgot to add: I hope your exam went well!
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

[4:82]

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
                          Ich weiss, dass ihr alle in Europa lebt, schaut irgend einer hier Euro 2012? Habt ihr Deutschalnd gegen Portugal gestern gesehen?

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
                            Ich weiss, dass ihr alle in Europa lebt, schaut irgend einer hier Euro 2012? Habt ihr Deutschalnd gegen Portugal gestern gesehen?
                            Please excuse the English, but it would take me ages to work out how to word this in German. You might be interested, but my boyfriend's cousin is playing for the England team! He usually plays for Manchester United but I forget his name. Last I checked, he hadn't played in the current tournament yet.

JP only mentioned his cousin is a Premier league football player when he appeared on TV recently. He really keeps so much to himself! ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                              Please excuse the English, but it would take me ages to work out how to word this in German. You might be interested, but my boyfriend's cousin is playing for the England team! He usually plays for Manchester United but I forget his name. Last I checked, he hadn't played in the current tournament yet.

JP only mentioned his cousin is a Premier league football player when he appeared on TV recently. He really keeps so much to himself! ^^
                              Oh that's really cool! You gotta find out who he is, maybe I know him! Wait that's not German ... Vielleicht kenne ich ihn!
                              [4:82]

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X