Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Make-up! and all things beauty!

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
    I finally watched this...I like her tips, but she's overall wrong. A lot of fair people do NOT have cool tones. Irish redheads, for example, are often warmer in their skin tone, and need to go for more of the 'orange-red' scale. It can be hard to tell when you're super fair. I also think she isn't quite picking the right shades for her own skin tone. I'd like to see her in more of a maroon than that red blouse she held up to her skin. I do like the lip colour she picked out though.

I might not be a makeup expert but fashion and fashion colouring, I know!
    That is definitely true Danie. My skin is very rosey red, even though it is pale. I look ridiculous in in bright shades anyway though, so i tend to work my eyes and just wear gloss on my lips.

Oh, JP tried to take me to the only wig shop he knows of in Newcastle, but it has closed down *shakes fist 'damn you recession!!' So I think the wig idea is out now.

Is anyone brave enough to cut their own hair? Or has anyone ever tried?
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I cut my own hair allll the time, for various reasons. Sometimes, I don't have time to go to the hairdresser. Sometimes, it's a timing issue (like now, where I really want to look PERFECT for my high school reunion in July, but my hair only looks perfect about 2 weeks to a month after it's been cut, and I don't want to cut it twice!), and sometimes I've been really broke. What I do is I divide it into two sections, like pigtails, and cut each one, and try to even out the back as best I can. I always check the back using two mirrors to make sure it's even. It wont look perfect, but it's a good interim solution.

I always cut my own fringe as well....I've gotten pretty good at it. My hairdresser does it for free, but by the time I remember I want it cut, it's midnight on saturday night (closed sunday) and it annoys me so much that I don't want to wait.

Comment

Phew, I'm glad it's not just me! I don't really like doing it myself, and considering the UK is comparatively very cheap for hairdressing, I shouldn't really. But I try to save everwhere I can, and working nights makes it hard to get to appointments. I used to get it cut at the college, so I learnt how to do it from the explanations the teacher gave. All they did was put most of my hair in a ponytail on the top of my head, cut an inch above the band, then cut into the stump to mash up the ends.

Some months, I really mess up though, like last time, I cut so close to the band that I had little left to 'mash' the ends of. The way I look at it, is I have had so many bad cuts from a professional, that I can live with the odd accident! My fringe is the hardest part though. I used to have a side fringe, but recently cut it in too straight so now I have a full fringe. I punk up the ends of my fringe too, by either cutting into it, or using my thinning scissors.
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I will trim my own bangs...there is an easy trick to it--use one of these (the large ones, not a small one):

(you can use your fingers, but this is really just easier to see and manuver, since you have two hands then)

Comb your bangs smooth into a section and clip them about 1/4 in above the length you want them--make sure the clip is straight.

Then, holding the scissors just a tiny bit off from being perpendicular to the clip, cut your bangs in a series of small snips.

Because you aren't cutting an edge straight across, it creates a softer edge (which is really something easier for a pro to do well) and it sort of "hides" any small mistakes.

I recommend doing it when you hair is dry...then you know for sure where you are cutting. If you do it wet, make sure you allow about an extra half inch.

I've used this as a guide to cut my daughter's hair too, into an angled bob.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

I rocked the red lipstick today with just black winged eyeliner. Felt great!
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
              I rocked the red lipstick today with just black winged eyeliner. Felt great!
              pics or it didn't happen... KIDDING!

I have a lot of difficulty applying eye liner to my upper lid it always looks chunky or has a big gap before the lashes.. help?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LiadanWillows View Post
                pics or it didn't happen... KIDDING!

I have a lot of difficulty applying eye liner to my upper lid it always looks chunky or has a big gap before the lashes.. help?
                Try the gel potted eyeliner with the eyeliner brush. Sit your elbow on a desk and look into a mirror that is slighting angled down (forcing you to look down and thus making it easier to apply liner). Use the windshield wiper approach. Going in an arc. And since your elbow is on the desk it stays steady. Also make sure unless you are old hat at it....start with applying the brush from the middle of your eye to the outer. Then come back and go from the inner of the eye to the middle connecting. This makes it easier to manage short strokes until you are comfy doing it in one fell swoop. The brush also helps you 'tap' it close to the eyelashes. And you start with small thin lines slowly building up.

a pic tomorrow!

Comment

so me and the red lipstick look. Sorry for the robe. It's right out of the shower. And you can notice Wolverine kicking it in the background!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Very cute color on you, Medusa! It looks much brighter and more coral then something I could wear.
                    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Very nice Medusa, that color is very flattering on you. If I remember correctly your avatar used to be a picture of you with red lipstick... but I believe that was a long time ago!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dez View Post
                        Very cute color on you, Medusa! It looks much brighter and more coral then something I could wear.
                        Sometimes when I wear it alone it's bright like that. A true fire engine red. But I can tone it down by first putting on a layer of a brown lipstick to brick it up. Or I put on a layer of the natural elf matte fat lip pencil over my lips and then adding this. I then get a cute pink.

Ok so some beauty reviews! I went to Target and splurged a bit on some new beauty stuff.

ELF cream liner in purple. Picks to come. I think purple would go well with green eyes. And during the summer I don't like to wear too much make up. So I nix eye shadow alltogether and just stick to a thick black eyeliner. This should add a pop of color!

Pond's wet cleansing towelettes in morning fresh with citrus and cucumber
                        . Now I used make up remover wipes every single night. Mostly because I don't want to wake up a raccoon with black eyes from my liner and mascara. I was using the Neutrogena ones. But the towelettes are too wet and I have to wait too long before applying moisturizer. So I switched to these. They have one side with a texture on them to be a bit tougher.

Pond's Clarant B3 dark spot corrector/moisturizer for normal to dry skin
                        I am finally going to make a valiant effort on my dark spots! It says 3 weeks of continual use helps even out skin tone and fade out dark spots. Reviews look promising. Plus I was looking for a heavier moisturizer during summer months. It was under $10 so not a waste if it turns out bad. Plus it's a product made in Mexico and I'm not sure if you can get it where you are. Obviously here in Cali no problemo. It feels so good on. No sting. They make one for oily skin as well.

Finally, Sally Hansen's creme hair remover kit
                        . I hate having light fuzzies on the side of my face. You can't see them. They are blonde from being in the sun. But I see them. Plus as a Hispanic, I tend to get a very light mustache that shows up if I put foundation on. So it had to go! 3 minute app did fine for the side of my face by my hair line. But tomorrow I'll do a 7 minute app over the lip. I missed a few fuzzies. It smells, but not as bad as nair. And even though it was under my nose, it didn't bother me. Plus no stinging! And I was slightly reddish, but they give you an extra smooth lotion to apply. After a few minutes of that I put on my Pond's moisturizer, and I feel fine. I would suggest doing it the first time on a day you don't need to be out. Just in case you get red.

So. That's what I have for now. Hope something here was helpful!

Comment

So I've decided to add a separate eye make-up remover to my nightly beauty regimen. But I don't want to spend too much nor add more chemicals on my face. I already use make-up remover wipes, but find my mascara and black cream eyeliner need a bit more attention. And I don't want to scrub harder. Here is an inexpensive and pretty chemical free recipe for eye make-up remover.

Baby oil
                          No tear baby shampoo
                          water
                          This video will help you with recipe etc. It's pretty easy!

Comment

Hey, do you guys have "Lush" the shop in the states?

Because this stuff is brilliant:

I don't wear foundation or anything like that because 1. I have good skin already and 2. foundation feels pretty heavy! But this stuff is light as a feather and I can mix the tiniest bit of it in with my moisturiser and still get an even look. Feels like I'm wearing nothing! And the pot lasts AGES!
                            I just got my Gran to try it, and she has only recently developed an allergy to most make-up products, but because everything that is in Lush is so natural she can wear it without any pain or allergy! x
                            "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                              So I've decided to add a separate eye make-up remover to my nightly beauty regimen. But I don't want to spend too much nor add more chemicals on my face. I already use make-up remover wipes, but find my mascara and black cream eyeliner need a bit more attention. And I don't want to scrub harder. Here is an inexpensive and pretty chemical free recipe for eye make-up remover.

Baby oil
                              No tear baby shampoo
                              water
                              This video will help you with recipe etc. It's pretty easy!
                              Hey thanks for that! What also works really well to remove makeup gently is olive oil. Found that out while experimenting with the oil cleansing method. Just if you're interested. I use evoo but not sure if reg olive oil is just as good.

Thanks for the video!
                              Please disregard typos in above post. I browse the web on a Nook and i suck at typing on touch screens.

Comment

Hey, just a quick one.

Is there any reason why eye-makeup remover could not be used as a facial cleanser? It is tough yet gentle enough to be used on a delicate area after all. It's just that I've run out of cleanser but have a full bottle of eye-makeup remover and I'd rather not buy anything new just now.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X