Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Make-up! and all things beauty!

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
    This may be slightly off-topic, but has anyone tried anything that can be purchased without a prescription that worked well for eczema?
    My dad has a skin disorder similar to eczema, flakey skin, redness, itching.. he got it from a chemical burn when he was younger. He has it really bad. We found that calendula (marigold) works incredibly well. I made the salve myself for him and it's taken down the irritation. I used it when I had perioral dermatitis, cleared it up like nothing else, and works brilliant on any dry patches that pop up, (Irish winters are a killer on the face) I have the recipe here if you want me to post it up. All natural, easily sorced ingredients, and because it's homemade you know EXACTLY what's in it.

I agree, lavendar oil is the business too. Even just neat on spots, and so calming!

Comment

I'll second (or third) lavender essential oil, and second calendula. Also, yarrow. Pretty much the only thing we use for all skin issues here (Sharkbait had baby eczema) was equal parts lavender, calendula, yarrow, chamomile infused into sunflower oil (sometimes in salve form with cocoa butter and beeswax). Also, we didn't use soap very often, and when we did, it was Dr. Bonners Lavender soap.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

So I used the olive oil, honey and sugar scrub in the shower today. On my whole body. The hot water melts the sugar instantly when you rinse off. And it disperses the oil all over leaving you super smooth. I don't have to take the time to lather myself down with lotion after. Just be careful about putting it on the bottoms of your feet. I went a slippy slidy in the shower! I now smell like Olive Garden bread.And my skin tastes a little sweet.
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Oooh, I wanna use that one, I just worry that my skin is too oily to tolerate the olive oil, Imma try it anyway. It just sounds too lovely.
          http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
          ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Oooh, I wanna use that one, I just worry that my skin is too oily to tolerate the olive oil, Imma try it anyway. It just sounds too lovely.
            No it's def ok for oily skin. The olive oil has a slight sticky tacky feel. Not oily like baby oil. And if you rinse with warm water, it diffuses the oils. And it won't clog your pores. You can also add a bit of lemon to combat the over oily. It adds a touch of natural acid.

Comment

I use sunflower oil or grapeseed oil (both of which are good with oily skin) with a dab of olive oil straight because of the smell (great on food, not so great on me)...its a lighter oil (which works better for my skin anyhow). Different oils have different properties, and can fit an individuals skin better...though some can be easier to find than others.

I make a scrup scrub with a dash of oil, the juice of 1/2 an orange, and brown sugar...works well on the face for occasional exfoliation and on the skin.

Oh! I almost forgot...avocado oil is good for eczema too.
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

I figured this could go into beauty stuff since it's along the lines of moisturizing and beauty products in a weird way.

I started shaving using this shaving soap. Sadly I don't have the brush and other paraphernalia for it. Even though it's my first time using shaving soap in general I'm sorta impressed. I got a close shave, probably closer than what I ever got with soap or shaving cream. The only thing is my skin is still somewhat dry afterwards only it's in patches. My skin also isn't irritated as much. I don't know if anyone else shaves using shaving soap but if so I'd like some tips.
                my etsy store
                My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                surrounded by plush, downy things,
                ill prepared, but willing,
                to descend."

Comment

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
                  I figured this could go into beauty stuff since it's along the lines of moisturizing and beauty products in a weird way.

I started shaving using this shaving soap. Sadly I don't have the brush and other paraphernalia for it. Even though it's my first time using shaving soap in general I'm sorta impressed. I got a close shave, probably closer than what I ever got with soap or shaving cream. The only thing is my skin is still somewhat dry afterwards only it's in patches. My skin also isn't irritated as much. I don't know if anyone else shaves using shaving soap but if so I'd like some tips.
                  Never tried but I'd give it a go. Can I add my own request? I'd love to hear tips anyone has about reducing shaving rash. I get it really badly so that I never go with bare legs. I don't get it if I use an electric razor, but I don't get very smooth legs either. I will never try waxing again and I get a rash from creams. The good old lavendar tick doesn't work either. It stings!! It doesn't sting on my sisters eczema, it doesn't sting on sunburn, it doesn't sting on burst spots, but on my shaving rash: agony!
                  夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                    Never tried but I'd give it a go. Can I add my own request? I'd love to hear tips anyone has about reducing shaving rash. I get it really badly so that I never go with bare legs. I don't get it if I use an electric razor, but I don't get very smooth legs either. I will never try waxing again and I get a rash from creams. The good old lavendar tick doesn't work either. It stings!! It doesn't sting on my sisters eczema, it doesn't sting on sunburn, it doesn't sting on burst spots, but on my shaving rash: agony!
                    Are you letting the hot water soften the hair on your legs first? I wash them up good before I go at it. And I make sure I've been waiting a while in the hot shower. Then I use a new razor. And baby oil on the wet skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                      Are you letting the hot water soften the hair on your legs first? I wash them up good before I go at it. And I make sure I've been waiting a while in the hot shower. Then I use a new razor. And baby oil on the wet skin.
                      Hey, thanks. Well, I tend to do it after I've been soaking in the bath, but I could try making the water a little hotter than I usually have it. This might be a silly question, but is the baby oil before or after shaving?

Also, I don't use shaving foam. I buy cheap hair conditioner for dry hair and use that because I read once that hair conditioner works just as well as foam and I love finding ways to save money.
                      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Hey, thanks. Well, I tend to do it after I've been soaking in the bath, but I could try making the water a little hotter than I usually have it. This might be a silly question, but is the baby oil before or after shaving?

Also, I don't use shaving foam. I buy cheap hair conditioner for dry hair and use that because I read once that hair conditioner works just as well as foam and I love finding ways to save money.
                        I put the baby oil on after I get out while my skin is still wet. This allows the water to help the oil thin out. And your pores are open to take it in etc. Some people are very sensitive and need to shave with the grain of the hair instead of against.

Comment

if you are using a bath to soak your legs add a wee bit of baby oil to the water to help soak into your legs and hair, then use the baby oil afterwards, an essential oil would be uber bad after shaving, that stuff doesnt like skin anyway... I am currently trying some things myself inviolving pain after shaving, and when I see results I will let you know...

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                          ~Jim Butcher

Comment

*use an infused oil*

(so better than baby oil)

<------------anti-mineral oils
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                              *use an infused oil*

(so better than baby oil)

<------------anti-mineral oils
                              Lol fair enough! I'm testing alot of things though right now, and I have tried making the scrub that medusa recommended, and I so far have never had my skin feel quite this nifty before, it even works ok on my face which surprised me alot. But when shaving legs, if I had scrubbed my legs afterward I would have had to go cry in a corner, so I took some of the liquid that was sitting on top of the sugar and rubbed that on my legs right after shaving in the hot shower, and I have had no sign of razor burn or even remote dryness... So far its lovely... I have used piles of chemicals in the past, and never had that happen to me, but I need to give it an extended try to see how it holds up.

~Jim Butcher

Comment

Lol fair enough! I'm testing alot of things though right now, and I have tried making the scrub that medusa recommended, and I so far have never had my skin feel quite this nifty before, it even works ok on my face which surprised me alot. But when shaving legs, if I had scrubbed my legs afterward I would have had to go cry in a corner, so I took some of the liquid that was sitting on top of the sugar and rubbed that on my legs right after shaving in the hot shower, and I have had no sign of razor burn or even remote dryness... So far its lovely... I have used piles of chemicals in the past, and never had that happen to me, but I need to give it an extended try to see how it holds up.
                                Olive oil. It's AMAZING amirite?

This stuff stays on your skin.

Comment

Working...
                                X