Anime, Manga and other fun things!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anime, Manga and other fun things!

Or how about Pom Poko if we're going for Studio Ghibli? I think a lot of people are put off from even watching this one because of the cover (it does look cheesy), but it is such a moving tale and I love it when the tanuki transform their testicles into weapons and stuff. Especially because in the English dub they change it to 'racoon pouch'. Such an elegant wording! I also love it when it is spring time and the music goes.. 'nanananaaaa nanananaaa..' you know? Oh and I like the bit with the 'I have no face...' creepy as hell.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
      Or how about Pom Poko if we're going for Studio Ghibli? I think a lot of people are put off from even watching this one because of the cover (it does look cheesy), but it is such a moving tale and I love it when the tanuki transform their testicles into weapons and stuff. Especially because in the English dub they change it to 'racoon pouch'. Such an elegant wording! I also love it when it is spring time and the music goes.. 'nanananaaaa nanananaaa..' you know? Oh and I like the bit with the 'I have no face...' creepy as hell.
      I love Pom Poko! And yeah, I noticed how they changed it to 'racoon pouch'. LOL! My nephews loved that one the most. But my favorite one is "My Neighbor Totoro". The Cat Bus rules!!! ^_^
      There's so many films in Studio Ghibi that I forget to mention, because I love almost all of them... I do like Spirited Away, that was my first Studio Ghibli one. Also, The Castle In The Wind, Nausicaa And The Valley Of The Wind, My Neighbors The Yamadas, Whispers Of The Heart (wasn't bad), Howls Moving Castle, Tales Of Earthsea, Porco Rosso (was fun), Kiki's Delivery Service, The Cat Returns, Ponyo!!! ^o^
      Man, I loved Ponyo so much, way too cute!!! ^_^
      And have anyone seen The Secret World of Arrietty? Beautiful music and wonderful story!

The one movie that I saw once and could never see again, because it made me cry so very hard, is Grave Of The Fireflies! I don't normally cry at movies... the last movie that made me cry was the end of "Ghost", with Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze, when I was a teen. So this animated film was just too sad and I wept uncontrollably. ;^_^
      I keep the dvd in the back of the drawer, because just seeing the cover will give me the sniffles. XD
      My everyday wacky blog

Comment

夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Yeah! Unless you enjoy crying at sad movies, do avoid Grave Of The Fireflies. lol. It's not a bad movie and does show a very real look at the war in Japan between the US. But, it's way too sad and was too much for me. I'm trying not to well up just thinking about it. LOL!
          Wow, I knew of the word "anime" since age 15, but then again I had internet. ;^_^
          At least you knew what manga was, I didn't learn of manga until I was age 20! And I loved Pokemon so much, back in the day. It's cute that you wanted to move to Japan because of Pokemon. <(*O*)v
          My everyday wacky blog

Comment

Originally posted by RiverSong View Post
            Yeah! Unless you enjoy crying at sad movies, do avoid Grave Of The Fireflies. lol. It's not a bad movie and does show a very real look at the war in Japan between the US. But, it's way too sad and was too much for me. I'm trying not to well up just thinking about it. LOL!
            Wow, I knew of the word "anime" since age 15, but then again I had internet. ;^_^
            At least you knew what manga was, I didn't learn of manga until I was age 20! And I loved Pokemon so much, back in the day. It's cute that you wanted to move to Japan because of Pokemon. <(*O*)v

Comment

To move to someplace far and start new life would be a huge dream come true for me... and if it was to someplace like Japan, I would explode. LOL! I had a psychic once tell me that in my past life I was an Asian woman, in the Edo period (hence my interests in the anime Samurai Champloo), but I never gave took it too seriously. ;^_^
              I wonder if I'll ever feel this way about the city that I live in now... I don't give it much thought, but if I left it for good, would I miss everything that is Philly? Hmm... I wonder. o_O
              My everyday wacky blog

Comment

To move to someplace far and start new life would be a huge dream come true for me... and if it was to someplace like Japan, I would explode. LOL! I had a psychic once tell me that in my past life I was an Asian woman, in the Edo period (hence my interests in the anime Samurai Champloo), but I never gave took it too seriously. ;^_^
                I wonder if I'll ever feel this way about the city that I live in now... I don't give it much thought, but if I left it for good, would I miss everything that is Philly? Hmm... I wonder. o_O
                See, when I moved there, it was very easy. All you needed was to a) have completed your compulsary education in an English speaking country and b) have a degree in ANY subject.

I did need 400 pounds for my flight out there, and enough money to survive 6 weeks, but otherwise, I would be working so could afford to pay my part of the cheap rent (NOVA owned the flats, in fact, NOVA had their own mobile phone company so they could provide teachers with a phone within days of arriving in Japan, even my health insurance was through them: they were a terrifying super power in their time actually). They also offered a loan that you could pay back out of your wage over the first 6 months you were in Japan. I worked in an animal shelter to save for my flight, and took advantage of NOVA's loan (with was interest free btw).

Things have changed now. It's harder to find work in Japan because people can't afford English lessons like they could 8 years ago. NOVA went bust not long after I came home.. months after even.. so I dodged a bullet. Loads of teachers were left stranded with no money.. it was horrible. Now, it is mainly just teaching kids in private schools. It's rewarding work, but hard. You really have to comply to the strickt work ethic and demands of Japanese culture and there is quite a high drop out rate of teachers running home in horror! Even in my school, which was a decent company to work for, I knew two teachers who left Japan within 3 months of arriving!

I'd love to know more about Japanese culture actually. I might see if I can get my hands on Samurai Champloo. Apparently there is an anime site kind of like Netflix that you can subscribe to. Unfortunatley, it doesn't seem to be available on Playstation in the UK, so we have to wait. JP says he'd gladly pay for it if it becomes availble, because he's the bigger otaku here..

Comment

Wow! I'm sorry about NOVA going bust.It sounded like a very good company that looked out well for it's employees!
                  And yeah, Japanese culture is a lot more strict than Westerners are use to. It wouldn't bother me none, being that my family is military, so I'm use to strict rules and even social ones. Raising my voice in anger is a rare oddity for me, for example. ;^_^
                  I think I would blend right in, if I ever lived in Japan. I could be wrong, but that would be something I would love to try someday.

Coolies!!! What's the name of this anime service, if I may ask? o_O
                  I do have Netflix, but it's anime is very limited. Most of what I love, I own on dvds, but lately haven't had the money to buy any anime. Though, it was through Netflix that I found my love for "Black Butler" and "Darker Than Black" this summer.
                  My everyday wacky blog

Comment

Wow! I'm sorry about NOVA going bust.It sounded like a very good company that looked out well for it's employees!
                    And yeah, Japanese culture is a lot more strict than Westerners are use to. It wouldn't bother me none, being that my family is military, so I'm use to strict rules and even social ones. Raising my voice in anger is a rare oddity for me, for example. ;^_^
                    I think I would blend right in, if I ever lived in Japan. I could be wrong, but that would be something I would love to try someday.

Coolies!!! What's the name of this anime service, if I may ask? o_O
                    I do have Netflix, but it's anime is very limited. Most of what I love, I own on dvds, but lately haven't had the money to buy any anime. Though, it was through Netflix that I found my love for "Black Butler" and "Darker Than Black" this summer.
                    I'll have to ask JP in the morning when he's less.. dying.. Will get back to you.

Comment

I'll have to ask JP in the morning when he's less.. dying.. Will get back to you.
                      Oh, no!!! I hope JP will be okay! o_o
                      My everyday wacky blog

Comment

He's okay. Very sick, but home and breathing, so I'm happy now. Gave us quite a fright he did. He doesn't know where he was for the two hours he was missing. He doesn't even remember how he got home. I was checking the door every 10 minutes or so and on the last check, saw a figure stumbling about in the path.. it was JP, in different clothes to what he had on when he left.

He was very sick, although for some reason still spoke Japanese! Haha.

Right he's well enough to speak now and says this anime netflix is called, 'crunchyroll' and is available on PS3 in North America, but not in Europe.

Comment

OMG! What happened? o_o
                          I wonder what happened to him... was he kidnapped or drugged? But that doesn't make sense, if someone did that, why change his clothes? o_O
                          Awful... u_u

Aw, you didn't have to ask him about the anime netflix thing! That's not important! I hope he gets better soon and whoever did that to him (if there were people involved) I hope that they get their just desserts!
                          My everyday wacky blog

Comment

OMG! What happened? o_o
                            I wonder what happened to him... was he kidnapped or drugged? But that doesn't make sense, if someone did that, why change his clothes? o_O
                            Awful... u_u

Aw, you didn't have to ask him about the anime netflix thing! That's not important! I hope he gets better soon and whoever did that to him (if there were people involved) I hope that they get their just desserts!
                            Ah don't worry. He was just drunk. I think his colleagues changed his clothes, he'll ask today at work. He was at a works party and it was an open bar. He just got too drunk and must have got lost on the way home. I found a cloakroom fob in his pocket, so his coat, gloves and scarf must still be at the party venue. What a trouble maker.

Anyway.. sorry for derailing the anime thread with this!

Comment

Ah don't worry. He was just drunk. I think his colleagues changed his clothes, he'll ask today at work. He was at a works party and it was an open bar. He just got too drunk and must have got lost on the way home. I found a cloakroom fob in his pocket, so his coat, gloves and scarf must still be at the party venue. What a trouble maker.

Anyway.. sorry for derailing the anime thread with this!
                              ROTFL! OH... so he had a FUN night, is all. ;^_^
                              Like one of these:
                              whereami.jpg

No, you didn't derail anything at all, no worries! LOL! And I have heard of Crunchyroll but had NO clue they had a video service for the Playstation. I must start that today, so many anime I want to try! ^_^
                              My everyday wacky blog

Comment

I am sooo jealous right now! Hope they make it available here too soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X