Anime, Manga and other fun things!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anime, Manga and other fun things!

It's in Hulu's advertising that the provisions for watching their stuff on anything that ain't a computer screen (mobile devices, TV sets, etc.) is built into the Hulu+ subscription service.
    HEY ADMIN

DELETE THIS ACCOUNT

Comment

Yep, I need dubs because I suck at reading subs. It goes way too fast for me, with my poor vision, and I lose out on most of the conversation. Though, I do what Maria does too, often looking to see the dubs matching up with the animation, It's sometimes a hit or miss. I did read somewhere once that it's common even in the original Japanese, so don't be alarmed to see it in English dubs too.

And yes, Maria, I was annoyed when Brotherhood wasn't complete on Netflix... so I bought the whole dvd set. lol. That was back when I had the money to do that. I wonder if "Black Butler" is on Hulu, being that my sister missed out on it because Netflix took it down after a while. >_<
      I love that series and wouldn't mind watching it again. ^_^
      My everyday wacky blog

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
        favourite anime: one piece, xxxHolic, speed grapher, monster, bamboo blade, baccano!.

I really liked the first three seasons of bleach, and as far as I am concerned the show ended there.
        Ahh!!! I LOVE Baccano! I forgot to add that in my list! ^_^
        My everyday wacky blog

Comment

Naruto and anything shoujo. Shoujo is to me like trashy romance novels are to older women. Can never get enough of those even though every plot is almost the same. *_*

Comment

夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Depends on your convention. The ones I went to were specifically anime related, and most conventions lasted from saturday morning till sunday afternoon. There is generally a fee to attend such things, but there were panels to attend and showings of different things, karaoke, and other such stereotypical japanophile things. It is OK to speak Japanese, but be aware that most people will only have a couple words, (and none of them will likely be of any use.) and you may get some odd translation questions. There generally were costume competitions, but they were optional and most people did not actually particiapte in them. If you are with a large group or have particularly elaborate or well done costumes, you could be stopped for pictures quite often, which could inhibit progression within the convention. What I would suggest is find the name of the convention and google it.
              http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
              ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Only in the past two years I became more interested in anime. Some of my favorite anime series are:

Vampire Knight ( anime and manga)
                Kamisama Hajimemashita or Kamisama Kiss (anime and manga)- I discovered it recently and it is simply awesome. Its about a girl who ends uo being an earth deity and its stuck to serve in a temple with an awesome and lovely demon . I seriously recommend it.
                Hakouki- Shinsengumi kitan - Awesome anime with samurais
                Code- Breaker (anime and manga)
                Naruto shippuden
                Hiiro no Kakera ( 1st and 2nd season)

Also, If one day I did cosplay, I would love to go as Yuuki from Vampire Knight.
                "I was born from a Spark and Fire I became"

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
                  Depends on your convention. The ones I went to were specifically anime related, and most conventions lasted from saturday morning till sunday afternoon. There is generally a fee to attend such things, but there were panels to attend and showings of different things, karaoke, and other such stereotypical japanophile things. It is OK to speak Japanese, but be aware that most people will only have a couple words, (and none of them will likely be of any use.) and you may get some odd translation questions. There generally were costume competitions, but they were optional and most people did not actually particiapte in them. If you are with a large group or have particularly elaborate or well done costumes, you could be stopped for pictures quite often, which could inhibit progression within the convention. What I would suggest is find the name of the convention and google it.
                  Cool, thanks for the information. I need to check that my friend and her husband definitely want to go. The one I was thinking of, is around November and as far as I know, it's an anime convention rather than specifically cosplay. So if there are two days, I think I might only dress up for one day and go in plain clothes the next day. My dress style is vaguely Harajuku inspired anyway, although usually too toned down to tell.

It's more the fact that we speak Japanese a lot when we're with Miyo because, you know, she's Japanese. I just thought people might think JP and I are trying too hard. I've noticed a few passing comments on forums about otaku kids trying to speak Japanese and how pathetic it is. I probably AM pathetic, but I don't want an entire crowd of strangers thinking that. I prefer to be judged by people who at least know a bit about me on which to base their opinions. Sounds like I'll be in good company though. If we're stopped for translations however, I'll be directing them to professor Miyo.
                  夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                    otaku kids trying to speak Japanese and how pathetic it is.
                    Keyword here is trying. People generally get mocked for randomly saying Japanese things while speaking English. The problem is not speaking Japanese exactly, it's being obnoxious about it.

Like randomly saying things like desu and baka, or using honorifics. The important thing here is that they are doing so while otherwise speaking English, to people who are speaking English... and usually pronouncing and using it incorrectly.

Generally if you are speaking Japanese to be understood, rather than spicing up your English with random bits and pieces of Japanese to impress people who speak English or to sound kawaii, you should be fine.
                    Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                      Keyword here is trying. People generally get mocked for randomly saying Japanese things while speaking English. The problem is not speaking Japanese exactly, it's being obnoxious about it.

Like randomly saying things like desu and baka, or using honorifics. The important thing here is that they are doing so while otherwise speaking English, to people who are speaking English... and generally pronouncing and using it incorrectly.

Generally if you are speaking Japanese to be understood, rather than spicing up your English with random bits and pieces of Japanese to impress people who speak English or to sound kawaii, you should be fine.
                      Ah naru hodo..I can see how that could be monosugoku meiwaku. Using random kotoba in a sentence.. that's just baka.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Yeah, I have heard from JP that in the world of otaku, everyone knows 'kawaii' 'baka' 'kowai', 'ganbatte' and 'yoshi', so I figure so long as I avoid exclaiming any of those, I should be fine. I kinda prefer 'ahou' (kansai slang but used all over Japan these days) to 'baka' anyway though, because it sounds a bit like 'a-hole'.

I don't really mind people using random words like that though, after all, toffs have been doing this exact same thing with Latin for years to show off their private school educated superior intelligence to the rest of us mere mortals. I'm kinda used to it. abusus non tollit usum*

Well, I do speak Japanese in a conversational way rather than just random words, but I am a good while off fluent yet. I often get a bit tongue tied so even to someone who doesn't speak the language, it is obvious that I haven't mastered it. I guess they'll appreciate that I've at least studied the language.

*'misuse does not remove use' I looked this up because I thought it would be ironic to do so. Anything to put off getting on with my work. Lol

Comment

Sorry to double post, but I am trying really hard to keep my Japanese stuff ot of the main forum and in it's designated place and I really wanted to share this.. If you're holding a drink or anything fragile, please place it down before you read this..

I am definitely NOT a weeaboo! I know, I'm as shocked as you are, but I took a quiz and you can't argue with a quiz..

Find all your favorite shows on Nick.com! Watch full episodes and video clips of SpongeBob, Loud House, Young Dylan, and many more, all right here!

My result

Sane, normal person.

You might be interested in anime/manga and Japan, but you're pretty much just a normal person.

You scored 17.65% of the possible results for this test.
                        Oi, who are you calling sane? You asked do I dress up as anime characters, with no field for 'if my friends have anything to do with it I will' and no question about zombies or sanrio. I demand a recount!

Comment

Jembru, I have to admit that I don't know what a weeaboo is...
                          There I said it...

Also in response to the quiz, it thinks I am saner than you, and I have watched anime and read manga for years, I have opinions about what is better, and what is crappy, and I have dressed up and treked hours to conventions... the quiz is a lie!!!! no part of me is sane!
                          Last edited by Maria de Luna; 14 Feb 2013, 05:20.

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                          ~Jim Butcher

Comment

This should explain everything:

Weeaboo-Advice-Inu-GO-TO-JAPAN-CATCH-POK_C3_89MON.jpg
                            Attached Files
                            Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

O_o

OK then....
                              Isn't Otaku already a derrogitory term? Weeaboo seems like overkill...

~Jim Butcher

Comment

Different connotations. Kind of like the furry/otherkin split. Weeaboos are pretty much the otaku version of fluffy bunnies.

Comment

Working...
                                X