X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Arabic Language Learning Thread

Some help with the arabic alphabet:
    Details of written and spoken Arabic, including the Arabic alphabet and pronunciation

And for IPA: (I checked the validity of the article)

I was Hadad2008 when I joined Feb 2008.
    I became Abdishtar this spring.
    Then, after the Great Crash, I was reborn as Spartacandream!

Comment

[quote author=Dumuzi link=topic=455.msg6974#msg6974 date=1288109302] Ana stands for I or me. This is very important in case you are in a foreign Arab land and you need to refer to yourself. So when you point to yourself and say anaana __ (I am __) or say ana ismi __ (my name is __). The S in ismi is pronounced like an S and NOT like a Z. [/quote]
      Can you just say "Ismi Matt" "My name is Matt" as my friend told me? Or is that just Algerian Arabic?

I was Hadad2008 when I joined Feb 2008.
      I became Abdishtar this spring.
      Then, after the Great Crash, I was reborn as Spartacandream!

Comment

[quote author=spartacandream link=topic=455.msg9945#msg9945 date=1288890822]
        Can you just say "Ismi Matt" "My name is Matt" as my friend told me? Or is that just Algerian Arabic?
        [/quote]

Yes, you can! It's perfectly fine.
        [4:82]

Comment

When a person hand writes arabic, is it as accurate as the type you've been showing us? I imagine that it takes some time learning how to write if it's anything like calligraphy, which it looks like.
          We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
          It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
          Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
          -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

[quote author=Shahaku link=topic=455.msg10999#msg10999 date=1289254391]
            When a person hand writes arabic, is it as accurate as the type you've been showing us? I imagine that it takes some time learning how to write if it's anything like calligraphy, which it looks like.
            [/quote]

Yes, there are some minor differences, depending on which 'style' you use. But usually it's the same.

Comment

I'm missing the activity here... anything new for us Dumuzi?
              We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
              It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
              Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.

Comment

[quote author=Shahaku link=topic=455.msg19341#msg19341 date=1291324612]
                I'm missing the activity here... anything new for us Dumuzi?
                [/quote]
                *secretary steps in...

He's sorta having to study right now. Class will begin soon!

*goes back to typing
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

[quote author=Medusa link=topic=455.msg19348#msg19348 date=1291326729]
                  *secretary steps in...

*goes back to typing
                  [/quote]

kk, thanks for the update!

Comment

[quote author=Medusa link=topic=455.msg19348#msg19348 date=1291326729]
                    *secretary steps in...

*goes back to typing
                    [/quote]

Thanks for keeping people updated my pretty secretary!

Yes, I'm busy with exams, but I thought about it and I can type up a new lesson this week. I am sorry I'm not updating more often though.

To make it up, here's a video teaching you about greeting in Arabic:

[youtube]AWcglbj5sWM[/youtube]

And since it's Christmas soon, from the same user, Merry Arabic Christmas:

[youtube]rXM5mRSgeUY[/youtube]

(You are welcome male members of the forum ;D )

(

Comment

Why don't you email her and tell her to wear a burka?

>

:P

Comment

[quote author=Medusa link=topic=455.msg22426#msg22426 date=1292375453]
                        Why don't you email her and tell her to wear a burka?

>
                        [/quote]

She is catholic! Just like you ;D

(She mentions this in the second video I posted, since she talks about her Christmas experience with her family)

Comment

[quote author=Dumuzi link=topic=455.msg22896#msg22896 date=1292524359]
                          She is catholic! Just like you ;D

(She mentions this in the second video I posted, since she talks about her Christmas experience with her family)
                          [/quote]
                          How DARE you call me a Catholic!

*takes saints and holy water with her on the way out.

Comment

The letter Alif

AlifAlifAna Ismy Usama (My name is Usama) is very important for this lesson. The three words that are used in this sentence all start with an Alif. Think of it as the sound you make right before you pronounce the actual vowel at the beginning of words.

So to sum it up, in the middle and end of words Alif = A
                            In the beginning of words AlifAlifAlif looks like.

Oh and by the way, lots of times you'll see a sign/letter called hamza above or below the Alif. It kinda looks like the number 2 looking the opposite way ء. I will teach you about it, and about the sings we use for vowels in a later lesson, god willing.

Here are examples of the letter Alif being used at different part of a word:

أنا anaإسلام islam إنسان insan أين Ayn(a)مطار mataar الناس al nasباب babنبات nabaat سلام salaam

Comment

So, alif connects to the letter before it but not after it? It is still alif if it's connected to a previous letter?

Comment

[quote author=Shahaku link=topic=455.msg23375#msg23375 date=1292718010]
                                So, alif connects to the letter before it but not after it? It is still alif if it's connected to a previous letter?
                                [/quote]

That is correct

Look at your name for example, it has two Alif's (A's):

شاهاكو

See how it's connected to the letter before it, but is not connected to the one after? That's what the letter Alif looks like. So if you see that shape, and it's not connected to the letter after it, that's an Alif!

Comment

Working...
                                X