This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Arabic Language Learning Thread

This is way cool! It's gonna take me a while to catch up, but I'm pretty good at languages so I'll get there. I once learned just a couple of Arabic words and of course I don't know how to write or spell them, but phoneticaly, "shochran" is thank you, and "adeeni basa mafadlach" - give me a kiss? Do I remember that right?
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

[quote author=Hawkfeathers link=topic=455.msg24962#msg24962 date=1293403077]
      This is way cool! It's gonna take me a while to catch up, but I'm pretty good at languages so I'll get there. I once learned just a couple of Arabic words and of course I don't know how to write or spell them, but phoneticaly, "shochran" is thank you, and "adeeni basa mafadlach" - give me a kiss? Do I remember that right?
      [/quote]

Hehe

Did you learn that from an Egyptian?
      Shukran = Thank you
      Iddeeni bosa min fadlak = Give me a kiss, please.
      ;D

[4:82]

Comment

[quote author=Dumuzi link=topic=455.msg25118#msg25118 date=1293472918]
        Hehe

Did you learn that from an Egyptian?
        Shukran = Thank you
        Iddeeni bosa min fadlak = Give me a kiss, please.
        ;D
        [/quote]

Actually, yes! A friend of mine was dating an Egyptian guy and she got it from him and told us at work. This was many years ago, I'm surprised I remembered. Now a question, which part actually means "kiss"? I'm curious if it's "bosa" because that's very similar to the Spanish "beso". I've always been interested in word roots and similarities between languages.
        sigpic
        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Yep, it's bosa. However, that's not really correct Arabic. It's why I asked you if an Egyptian told you this, because we use it over here. I don't really know the origin of the word, though.

I'm glad you remembered!

Comment

Prepositions + Countries

In this lesson I will teach you some prepositions and also how to say " I'm from ___ " in Arabic, plus the names of some countries.

"in" = fi (example: ana fi albayt = I am in the house)

"from" = min (example: min kalbi = from my heart)

"to" = ila (example: min albayt ila almadrasa = from the house to the school)

"under" = taht (example: alkitta taht alkursi = the cat is under the chair)

"above" = fauk (example: fauk alsama' = above the sky)

"on" = 'ala (example: alkitab 'ala almaktab = the book is on the desk) *the first letter in 'ala is the letter 'ayn, we will learn how to pronounce it later on.

Now you know how to say " I'm from ___ " because you already know how to say "I" and now you know how to say "from". So all that's left is to learn the name of your country!

I'm from America = ana min amreeka أمريكا

England = ingiltera انجلترا

Germany = almaania ألمانيا

Canada = kanada كندا

Belgium = biljeeka بلجيكا

Australia = usturaalia أستراليا

Scotland = iskutlanda اسكتلندا

Wales = weelz (kinda the same word) ويلز

Finland = finlanda فنلندا

Egypt = misr مصر

I tried to cover everyone's country in this forum. If I forgot to mention your country, or you want to learn how to say any other country in Arabic just let me know!

HOMEWORK!!!

I added the Arabic words beside the transliteration because I want you to try to figure out which letter is which. You already learned some of those letters so you should be able to figure out the rest.

Start with your country and then move on to another one if you want extra exercise. Of course, if your country is too hard just use another country.

Hint: Remember that short vowels aren't written usually as letters in the word.

Good luck

Comment

I'm bringing this thread back, in case anyone is still interested.

However, I will add something new. I'm gonna post videos here, starting with an introduction. And then every couple of days or so, I will post a new video, so that you get the time to ask questions or comment after each 'lesson'.

I also want you to suggest to me the type of words and sentences you want to learn about.

That is all for now! Now here's today's video:

Comment

Wow, I didn't realize this had been revived. Summer is here so I have more time now
                We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
                  Wow, I didn't realize this had been revived. Summer is here so I have more time now
                  Yay, great!

I stopped posting here because I didn't think anyone was reading this! I have more videos that I can share.

Comment

I stopped visiting cause I knew things were kinda crazy and not much was happening, but decided to look again last night. Would love more vids. I have a lot of extra time on my hand now. I cleaned today. The bathroom, stove, and blinds.
                    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.

Comment

Here's a video for the B-T-Th sounds. I've already made a post about it here. So this is the video version of the same letters!

Enjoy

Comment

My favorites! lol. These have actually been the easiest for me to remember. It was always fun this last semester to pick out letters that I could recognize whenever my instructor posted Arabic text and these were among the few.

Comment

Reopened, for business.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Thanks, Chain.

It is very interesting!
                            My name would be: جليب XD
                            I am in the progress of pronouncing the deep letters that come from the throat. It's not easy.
                            Though I have a problem with the deep D. It's called "Dad" if I remember.
                            Anyway, learning Arabic is so cool!
                            "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
                              Thanks, Chain.

It is very interesting!
                              My name would be: جليب XD
                              I am in the progress of pronouncing the deep letters that come from the throat. It's not easy.
                              Though I have a problem with the deep D. It's called "Dad" if I remember.
                              Anyway, learning Arabic is so cool!
                              I agree but I'm biased... I tend to think ANY learning is cool. Arabic just happens to be useful, too.

And I STILL can't grasp any of the writing without hours full of study. I haven't even tried speaking it, as yet.

*and you're very welcome, Gleb!

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Of course. I just to learn mainly languages.
                                "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Working...
                                X