Yoga enthusiasts here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yoga enthusiasts here?

I watch this program called 'Power Yoga: Mind and Body". It comes on from 3am to 4am every night. So it's perfect timing for me. The instructor has usually 5 different levels of people doing moves. And each half hour is a different focus. Last night it was stretching your calves. I modify my moves (I'm a bigger woman and I'm 41 and not so flexible). I use a long scarf to help me stretch legs and back without over doing it. Plus I can't do the bending down too long due to bad for the blood pressure. But..I LOVE doing it. I always feel nice and relaxed after, both physically and mentally.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Newcomer to Yoga here.. been doing it on and off for a year and a bit. Although it didn't change my body shape very much, I felt a lot more body-confident than I ever had done just simply working out. I've been doing Yoga fairly regularly throughout my pregnancy now. I have no idea how this will help me on labour day, but at least maybe it will help me to connect well with my breath. Breath is very important to me theologically.

I'm glad I started out by going to a Hatha Yoga class because I got some individualised attention that I just wouldn't have gotten through a DVD. I know how to modify poses properly now and I know some of the basic underlying principles of Yoga practise. I do use free online classes now through Yoga Download (because I'm super stingy), but I keep in contact with my instructor still. I think some of the physiotherapy knowledge I have from work has really assisted as well.

The next thing I'm hoping to get a really good handle on is Yoga meditation.

Comment

I am definitely a fan of yoga - my partner and I rock climb and cycle, and I find my yoga practice gets me to strengthen muscles and flexibility in a way that is complementary but different to climbing moves. He's a bit of a slug-abed in the mornings, so I try and do half an hour first thing most mornings. We go to a yin yoga RL class once a month or so, but the rest of the time I use an iPhone app called 'Yoga Studio' - best $3 I ever spent lol!! It's more generic Hatha yoga, with voiced-over videos in 15/30/60 min classes, focussing on different themes and levels of practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiya View Post
          We go to a yin yoga RL class once a month or so, but the rest of the time I use an iPhone app called 'Yoga Studio' - best $3 I ever spent lol!! It's more generic Hatha yoga, with voiced-over videos in 15/30/60 min classes, focussing on different themes and levels of practice.
          Sounds great! I hope it's available on android.

Comment

The background music for one of the Yoga classes I recently took: Snatum Kaur These aren't the tracks actually used, but it's by the same artist. Her music is very warm and peaceful. I tend to go slow with yoga, too, so it matches well with my movements.

Comment

I used to do yoga a lot several years ago, though since my depression and anxiety worsened I find it exceedingly difficult to firstly gather up the motivation to do the exercises, and secondly I find it near impossible to relax, empty my mind and focus on what I'm doing. I want to find a class or group to join as I feel that would help my motivation levels as well as receiving guidance from the teacher. I really loved doing yoga but now I simply can't enjoy it anymore like I used to.
              sigpic

Comment

I've actually been doing yoga 3-4 times a week (for about 30 minute sessions) for the past few months. That, coupled with the attempt to meditate more and make sure I take some more "me-time" is all in an effort to make myself slow down and stop letting my anxiety rule my life.

Comment

You dont need to force your min d to be empty. Just keep bgring your focus back to your bgreathing and whatever form/action you are doing. Our mind is always going, just like a river. The question is are you going to let yourself get stuck with all the debri that goes by or are you just going to let it go by.

And make doing the asanas and meditation seem like something you must do *stomps foot throws nazi salute*. We have different needs at different times. Just do focused breathing for a while everyday. Simple things. Its not a chore but something that should help you to bbalance and be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Artemisia View Post
                    I want to find a class or group to join as I feel that would help my motivation levels as well as receiving guidance from the teacher.
                    I absolutely affirm and encourage you in this I hope you have the luck to find a very good teacher and a good sanctuary. I don't think yoga classes facilitated by gyms have the same emphasis, so I think it's definitely worth spending the money to go to a Yoga Sanctuary if you can. Even just to touch base the one time. Don't worry that it doesn't feel the same as it used to. You are in a different stage of life now, it will feel different - it's just the way it is.

Blue_Coyote made some great comments in her first paragraph..
                    You dont need to force your min d to be empty. Just keep bgring your focus back to your bgreathing and whatever form/action you are doing. Our mind is always going, just like a river. The question is are you going to let yourself get stuck with all the debri that goes by or are you just going to let it go by.
                    I can't empty my mind, either! It would be even harder when struggling with depression/anxiety. I have to just see the thought and then try not to follow it. It's very hard to bring yourself into the present, to remember you have all your current needs met and that nothing in that moment matters critically. I find that state so much easier to achieve when I'm with a group of people. Must be part of purposing myself to the practise beforehand.

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
                      I have to just see the thought and then try not to follow it. It's very hard to bring yourself into the present, to remember you have all your current needs met and that nothing in that moment matters critically. I find that state so much easier to achieve when I'm with a group of people. Must be part of purposing myself to the practise beforehand.
                      I visualize my thoughts as things, and put them away. Sometimes as files to file, or weeds to pick, etc. Heck, even clothes to fold and put away.
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

I use an app called "daily yoga". It's free. I need to do more yoga, but I like sleep to much...
                        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                        Seen the desert and the birds
                        You cut your hair short
                        Like a shush to an insult
                        The world had been yelling
                        Since the day you were born
                        Revolting with anger
                        While it smiled like it was cute
                        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Don't confuse yoga with meditation. Yoga stretches the limbs while meditation clears the mind and allows you to focus.

Comment

Originally posted by warwulf View Post
                            Don't confuse yoga with meditation. Yoga stretches the limbs while meditation clears the mind and allows you to focus.
                            Uh, yoga is a lot of things. Meditation and stretching the limbs are both important parts of the whole experience.
                            Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

For anyone who is new to Yoga or has issues with their body, I found this routine to be relevant to where I am right now with knee and wrist pain and a weak back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXwJziKfbC4.
                              It's the first class I could fully participate in without feeling pain. When she does her cat-cow stretch, just move to my forearms instead of weight bearing on my wrists. It's a very gentle, easy routine that allows me to be mindful of what my body is doing, rather than being frustrated at what I cannot do and having to modify all the time.
                              I hope someone else will enjoy this as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
                                For anyone who is new to Yoga or has issues with their body, I found this routine to be relevant to where I am right now with knee and wrist pain and a weak back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXwJziKfbC4.
                                It's the first class I could fully participate in without feeling pain. When she does her cat-cow stretch, just move to my forearms instead of weight bearing on my wrists. It's a very gentle, easy routine that allows me to be mindful of what my body is doing, rather than being frustrated at what I cannot do and having to modify all the time.
                                I hope someone else will enjoy this as well.
                                I have carpal tunnel, so anytime I have to do something weight bearing (not just yoga) with a 90 degree angle bent wrist, I use a pair of dumbells with a flat bottom (even better if its a non-slip/skid material) as "handles" and support my weight with my wrists straight. Its basically the cheap answer to one of those perfect push up handle things (except that the perfect pushup thin rotates).
                                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X