• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bartmanhomer
    replied
    Re: Dungeons And Dragons Discussion Thread

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
    Yup! It's brutal. This module was deliberately designed to be one of the most challenging yet, and the meat grinder rule is there for those who really want to feel the mortality of the game. I don't think I'll ever play the Tomb of Annihilation even with regular rules because it tries to kill you at every turn.

Oh my god. That game is suicide. I'm sticking with regular rules. Screw meat grinder.

Leave a comment:

• Jembru
    replied

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    That's sound a bit extreme isn't it.
    Yup! It's brutal. This module was deliberately designed to be one of the most challenging yet, and the meat grinder rule is there for those who really want to feel the mortality of the game. I don't think I'll ever play the Tomb of Annihilation even with regular rules because it tries to kill you at every turn.

Leave a comment:

• Bartmanhomer
    replied

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
    You should look at the 'meat grinder' rule in Tomb of Annihilation. It's an optional rule in which you have to get above 15 to be successful on death saving throws. The module is already pretty deadly (it's based on the original Tomb of Horrors) and the whole point of the module is that the dead can't be brought back, so playing with the meat grinder rule requires you to have plenty back-up characters! 50+ might just see you to the end of the campaign. ^^
    That's sound a bit extreme isn't it.

Leave a comment:

• Jembru
    replied

I'm going to post my D&D version 3.5 character sheets to see what you think about it. I make over 50+ character sheets so far.
    You should look at the 'meat grinder' rule in Tomb of Annihilation. It's an optional rule in which you have to get above 15 to be successful on death saving throws. The module is already pretty deadly (it's based on the original Tomb of Horrors) and the whole point of the module is that the dead can't be brought back, so playing with the meat grinder rule requires you to have plenty back-up characters! 50+ might just see you to the end of the campaign. ^^

Leave a comment:

• Bartmanhomer
    replied

I'm going to post my D&D version 3.5 character sheets to see what you think about it. I make over 50+ character sheets so far.

Leave a comment:

• Jembru
    replied

Has anyone checked out the new Tomb of Annihilation module yet? I watched the Stream of Annihilated when it aired on Twitch and have followed the High Rollers play through since then. The module is BRUTAL. It's definitely not one for new players nor is it for anyone who gets attached to their characters. Fun to watch, but I'm glad I don't have to play.

In one of the dungeons the only way out is for a character to sever their own arm off (thus having disadvantage in later rooms), while another makes you battle a beholder with a magnetic column in the middle of the room that anyone wearing armour gets stuck to! And don't get me started on the zombie t-rex that vomits zombies every other round!

Leave a comment:

• Bartmanhomer
    replied

I've recovered back to full HP.

Leave a comment:

• Bartmanhomer
    replied

My character is unconscious and take 9 points of damage. Making his hit point -1.

Leave a comment:

• Bartmanhomer
    replied

I just found out that my Eric Spade character sheet along with my other two character sheets have been wiped out.

Leave a comment:

• Jembru
    replied

Thanks to Iris telling me about improv, I stumbled upon an improv group from the US that do D&D podcasts and occasionally live streams in which they turn it into a drinking game, getting drunker and drunker as the game goes on. Hilarious stuff!!

Oh they call themselves Crit Juice in case anyone else is interested.

Leave a comment:

• Bartmanhomer
    replied

Well my party killed the demonic children group. These creatures didn't even put up a fight. Well at least those creatures were easier to kill comparing our earlier dretch encounter.

Leave a comment:

• Bartmanhomer
    replied

SO far my party and I are going to battle creepy deformed children. (Their have hands for a head.)

Leave a comment:

• Bartmanhomer
    replied

Well we finally kill the dretch. It was a hassle but my team pull it together.

Leave a comment:

• Bartmanhomer
    replied

We should retreat but we weren't fully prepare for it: the DM thinks it a piece of cake. Boy was he wrong about it.

Here the link of my current D&D game, The Black Shingle Fiasco: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...Shingle-Fiasco
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 19 Jan 2017, 17:34.

Leave a comment:

• Jembru
    replied

Anyway my party and I are having a very difficult time killing a dretch and it's taking forever trying to kill this demon.
    Would it be possible to retreat and try to level up a bit first? Or do you think the DM just intended for it to be a slow battle? Just if it's taking as long as you say, it might be that your team is a bit too weak and then you run the risk of one of your characters being killed. Or at the very least, players could get bored and lose interest.

Mark, the DM for High Rollers, is usually good at matching the enemies to the team's ability, but there was one time early on when one of the members ran off and another chased after her. They ended up encountering animated armour that was intended to be faced by the entire team. The character that ran off was knocked to 0 then failed her saving throws. *poof* dead character!! Mark later said in a Q&A session that some players have to learn to pick their battles the hard way. That sometimes they assume they're invincible until they bite off more than they can chew.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, has anyone seen this D&D based TEDx talk?

I really enjoyed it! I really agree with what he says too. Just watching High Rollers, you can see the development of the players and their characters over the year. It's a beautiful thing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X