• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• m00nst0ne
    replied
    Re: Memorial Day

It's almost Memorial day for this year.
    What are your plans?Hope I can get out for some long drive but I'm waiting for the shipment of my replacement tires that I just bought form 4WheelOnline. Maybe I just have to rewatch season 4 of Steven Universe and wait for its 1 hour special. :=L:

Leave a comment:

• EndlessCravings
    replied

I work in retail and we have a sale going on at the time so I had to work.

Leave a comment:

• ThePaganMafia
    replied

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
    Well if it's directed at me try and find me at a BBQ won't happen. Closest we had was Saturday when we celebrated my granddaughter's birthday the rest of the weekend I spend time reflecting upon things. Those I served with who died on active duty, those I served with who have since passed and maybe even raising a beer or drink to those who've gone over in remembrance of the time we spent together.

Though I also have to agree there are more than a few who practice the "Do as I say not as I do" method of things.
    That was directed at everyone who has flooded my Facebook news feed this weekend.

Leave a comment:

• Hawkfeathers
    replied

Our Aldi's grocery store is closed today. I like that idea. Way back when, more places were closed on holidays, and even on Sundays.

waranimals.jpg

Leave a comment:

• thalassa
    replied

We have a dumb supper on Memorial Day.

And we don't shop or BBQ.
    Last edited by thalassa; 30 May 2016, 03:18.

Leave a comment:

• anunitu
    replied

To Monsno and all my other brothers alive and dead...This drinks for you guys...Remember all those who died to keep you free,and remember all those from WW2 who are old and a dieing breed.

Leave a comment:

• monsno_leedra
    replied

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
    All I know is that there is a lot of people at barbeques posting self righteously on Facebook about how this weekend is not about barbeques.
    Well if it's directed at me try and find me at a BBQ won't happen. Closest we had was Saturday when we celebrated my granddaughter's birthday the rest of the weekend I spend time reflecting upon things. Those I served with who died on active duty, those I served with who have since passed and maybe even raising a beer or drink to those who've gone over in remembrance of the time we spent together.

Though I also have to agree there are more than a few who practice the "Do as I say not as I do" method of things.

Leave a comment:

• ThePaganMafia
    replied

All I know is that there is a lot of people at barbeques posting self righteously on Facebook about how this weekend is not about barbeques.
    Last edited by ThePaganMafia; 29 May 2016, 21:47.

Leave a comment:

• monsno_leedra
    replied

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    Stop shopping, stop listening to politcal bs, and look at pictures - just for a minute:

These Emotional Photos Show The Real Reason For Memorial Day

Whatever your personal beliefs, people have PAID for this.
    I agree in general but there is also another side that is being ignored here. That is the many MIA's, those missing in action who are known to be dead but no bodies or believed to be dead but are never officially declared dead. Families that go on and on hoping and praying for closure but only seldom getting it. Many times dying before some evidence is found that allows their loved one to finally be identified and laid to rest. Memorial day is to honor them as well.

Which is especially sad if you consider they not only died probably for their country but are not even recognized as dead in most instance by the country they died for.

Leave a comment:

• MaskedOne
    replied

While I never worked in retail sure seen it a lot from the other side. Pushing, shoving, tearing sale items out of the hands of others, even children and all the other wonderful hallmarks of the human cattle drive people call retail sales. I try to stay away from stores as much as possible on the "Holidays" as it's bad enough to me on regular days. Facing a threat of combat on the ship was not as scary to me as being in Walmart on black friday or some other retail store on a holiday.
    Staying away from stores is the bright move. Most sales seen on Holidays show up at other times of the year if you pay attention or they start a few days ahead. If you aren't being paid to put up with the holiday insanity in stores, DON'T. You'll be happier for avoiding the comedy of cluster-****s. The stores will be happier at having one less person to deal with. Everyone who matters wins. Corporate execs and bean counters might not but much as I love the exhaustive and pointed list of policies that my company enforces for my benefit...

In this matter, I will care about the opinion of any company officer who spends their holidays in a store putting up with the endless idiocy they ask of sales reps. See the long line of officers getting ready to meet my challenge....

Leave a comment:

• B. de Corbin
    replied

Stop shopping, stop listening to politcal bs, and look at pictures - just for a minute:

These Emotional Photos Show The Real Reason For Memorial Day

Whatever your personal beliefs, people have PAID for this.

Leave a comment:

• monsno_leedra
    replied

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
    I would love to say something optimistic about the ability of the population at large to think beyond "Shinies are on SALE!!!! GIVE ME MOAR!!!!!!!!!!!"

Unfortunately, I work retail. The reflective side of mortals isn't often on display in retail. In specific, I worked retail today and will again tomorrow (well yesterday and today now). It's best that I not comment further on mortals till Wednesday.
    While I never worked in retail sure seen it a lot from the other side. Pushing, shoving, tearing sale items out of the hands of others, even children and all the other wonderful hallmarks of the human cattle drive people call retail sales. I try to stay away from stores as much as possible on the "Holidays" as it's bad enough to me on regular days. Facing a threat of combat on the ship was not as scary to me as being in Walmart on black friday or some other retail store on a holiday.

Leave a comment:

• MaskedOne
    replied

Would be nice if while everyone is celebrating they take a moment and reflect upon the fact the holiday is about honoring and remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice while serving their country. That seems to be the forgotten reason as all the grills and sales go off this weekend, but especially Monday. You'd be surprised how many veterans will get told thank you for their service this weekend.
    I would love to say something optimistic about the ability of the population at large to think beyond "Shinies are on SALE!!!! GIVE ME MOAR!!!!!!!!!!!"

Unfortunately, I work retail. The reflective side of mortals isn't often on display in retail. In specific, I worked retail today and will again tomorrow (well yesterday and today now). It's best that I not comment further on mortals till Wednesday.

Leave a comment:

• anubisa
    replied

Happy Memorial Day everyone! Thanks to all our vets!

Leave a comment:

• monsno_leedra
    replied

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
    It's 20 minutes early but may everyone's Memorial Day go smoothly.
    Would be nice if while everyone is celebrating they take a moment and reflect upon the fact the holiday is about honoring and remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice while serving their country. That seems to be the forgotten reason as all the grills and sales go off this weekend, but especially Monday. You'd be surprised how many veterans will get told thank you for their service this weekend.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X